Linux and Microsoft Discussion

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In another thread, a few of us got off on a tangient about O/Ss.. So instead of thread-jacking, I thought I'd start a thread about it..

My feelings between the two are kinda 50/50..

Microsoft:
I'm used to it. Use it every day for work, and such.. I'm comfortable with it, and it does what I need to do - most of the time. Also does what I don't want it to do, as well, but not all OSs are perfect, obviously.. 99% of my daily routine for work, as well as my own business, uses Windows-proprietary software..

Linux:
I've got a couple of computers running different 'versions' of Linux:
MEPIS
Ubuntu

I like these, because they aren't mainstream-type OS (ref: Windows). They have the sorta look of Windows, but functionality is compeltely different. My biggest issue with Linux is figuring out how to kernel/compile programs designed for windows to run on these. That's a little above my knowledge-base.. I'd love to learn more about how to do these types of things, but frankly, spare time is limited, and only minimal personal gain would be achieved, if any..

Your thoughts?

Note: This isn't a "Which is better" thread, and I'd prefer not to see any biased, useless statements made here. Make this more of an educational thread, if you will.
Thanks

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am not much a fan of Windows. Mainly cause of it crashing all of the time on me. I never had a virus problem. Although that is a perk of Linux and Macs for now, and getting family members to use them. Once some one gets use to the feel like the GUI they are never calling me saying I think I got a virus.

I am currently running Ubuntu on two machines right now. One is set up just a server of music and photos. As far as getting Windows apps to run in Linux I have had some luck with Wine. If you have the time to learn a few things about Linux I think it is pretty easy to use. Also Linux is becoming more and more user friendly.

I kind of like the idea of not doing the mainstream thing to. But then I also have a Mac too...

Really my thoughts on different OS is to make sure you get what you want out of one. I think people are still scared of Linux but I also know thats starting to change. Can't beat open source when it comes to price. Plus getting good software for free too. I know they don't have some things, but they meet all my needs and more.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good information and such, thank you..
I'll check out Wine (search) and see what I can come up with..
I haven't ventured into the Ubuntu server issue, yet, as my two servers (2K & 2K3) are "serving" their purpose for now..
I'm still trying to learn Ubuntu workstation ;)
I'm having trouble with the whole issue of plug-in installs, such as macromedia and such..

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm running all windows stuff right now (either xp pro or 2000 server), not soemthing that i really enjoy, but i find it hard to find the software that i like with other OS' or sometimes can't find it at all. Then again, i do a lot of multimedia (audio/video editing) so i've gotta really use windows. yes i know macs are like j249760357509375076039756897390857603 times better for doing that kind of stuff, but hey, money is an issue, and i really don't need to get another computer, got enough of that crap laying around the house as it is right now

now that i've got my xbox modded though, i'll prolly switch my 2000 server to linux, maybe red hat or something (what i'm familiar with). Should prolly run as a more stable file server then windows

what's Ubuntu ??? never heard of that OS before...

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Its one of the fast going linux os's out there. They have some great development going one right now. Should download a live CD and try it out. I have tried about 7 "flavors" of linux and so far this is my personally fav.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Little late arriving in the thread due to lunch but I agree with all comments above. OS's are personal preference really. I use xp pro with symanctec coorporate edition and I have never had a virus on my work pc or home pc :knock on wood: Also symantec is installed on my parents pc. I configure symantec to do a weekly pc scan and a montly FULL scan. But really I am talking about virus protection. As far as OS's are concern I probably am bias. I understand windows really well. I guess so since I have used it all the way back to blue screen of death windows 95. Windows 95 was my first pc and never really had the chance to use older pc's running DOS. I started to work with Linux here at work because one of the programmers here lives by it. So I started to pick up what he does a little but he is so smart with Linux and I am such a noob that its hard for him to teach. he is one of those guys that knows hit s**t but doesn't know how to teach people. I have a linux book at home but can never find the time to pick it up and read. I have fedora on another pc here in the office and I will boot it up every once in awhile when I feel like having a headache. I have conquored the art of remote desktop from Linux to my windows machine and I figured out how to install programs in the command prompt. But like Liz said Linux has a point and click feature to it like Windows has and I haven't yet tried that out. I am just a windows xp fan (all later windows SUCK) because I know the security querks in it and I know how to navigate through the whole system. I have never had xp lock up on me or give me the blue screen but I am also running a Pentium 4 with a gig of ram (which I wanting more ram just for the hell of it) For the normal part of my day at work I have tons of processes running. Three different chat services for all the co-workers here that have to use 929839092 different type of chat services, outlook, media player (cause I need my music) network drives open, our ERP software open, excel sheets, access database (I created :high five to self=) limewire, nero, firefox the list can go on an on. We try out so much in software and different ways to do things and this pc just keeps rocking with no problems.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They aren't "versions" they are distributions.

Versions would be the kernel version. (3.1, 2.60, ect.)

And personal gain would be greater as Admins with Linux knowledge are in high demands.

Looks are completely different from Windows :P

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never used Linux but i've never had major problems because of windows itself. It has always been a personally-done problem that made windows mess up. Thats about it.

<--- running :
Shitty Compaq S3100NX 1.8Ghz
"1,280MB" of RAM - PNY 1GB ram stick
everything else stock, and it works great for me. I like it better than most of my friendses new-er computers :what:

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried linux... I couldn't figure out how to install any god damn thing, so I gave up and reinstalled windows.

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
I tried linux... I couldn't figure out how to install any god damn thing, so I gave up and reinstalled windows.

I was the same way the first time I gave it a shot. I the linux cookbook second edition that helps a lot. Plus I think I said it in the other thread but Ubuntu has a ton of precompiled stuff so just click and it installs.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bringin this back from the dead. I just ordered Ubuntu on a CD so I can do a Live Boot from the CD to learn a bit and see if I like it. If i do end up liking it I will just DL and let the learning begin.

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Iive cds are good for a few things. I carry one in case a friend just wants to see what it looks like. Or just to see what hardware will work right off the bat. Great for all the off name laptops, if somethings don't work to begin with I don't want to mess with it on that machine.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
that's a good point, they are good for compat checks... but not as a usable environment

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
now that i've got my xbox modded though, i'll prolly switch my 2000 server to linux, maybe red hat or something (what i'm familiar with). Should prolly run as a more stable file server then windows
will it work with the xbox 360?

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's a good point, they are good for compat checks... but not as a usable environment
No I agree. They are just test tools for me, ones I am happy to have.