Lookin at new computers

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So im typing this out on a 4 year old dell laptop that the screen hinges decided to strip out on over the weekend. this is the 3rd issue ive had with the screen, and now wonderfully, the warranty ended back in july. so im looking at getting a new setup and i thought i'd see what you guys thought.

having a laptop currently, i love the portability and not HAVING to sit at a desk. but, i also like having a nice sized monitor to read off of like my parents computer and my roommates desktop. So one idea i had was to get a desktop, and since i can get the same "amount of computer" for less with that, pick up one of those mini laptops for like $300 that i'll have saved since i went with a desktop instead of laptop. that way i'll have the best of both worlds right?

can you guys throw some suggestions out there for what components make up a decent desktop? im looking to get one through dell or hp i think, but im open to suggestions. (other than building, i dont think im THAT skilled yet)

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't go through Dell or HP. Hit me up, I can build you one for cheaper than Dell or HP can bro, believe me.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I recently purchased one of the Dell Studios in 17" size. It's a larger laptop, but it's not so large that it's hard to lug around. If you add with it the longer lasting battery it increases the size/weight, but for what it includes the price is alright. I bought the version that Walmart.com is selling, as I priced up the same features on Dell.com and it came out to over $400 more.

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i like dells but im dcse certified, so im biased. but yea a custom machine is nice,

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Building isn't that hard... just buy all the components and plug them in where they go. And don't forget to RTFM while you're doing it.

Basic Rig:
Motherboard (w/onboard gpu)
CPU
Video Card (if you want to game, onboard graphics don't cut it)
Hard Drive
DVD-RW ROM
Computer Case
If you're like me, get a floppy drive to go with it. I use it to make boot disks... call me paranoid.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're interested in one of those netbooks, I'm currently selling my MSi Wind U100 locally at the moment.
PM me if you're interested and I'll send you specs and pics.

drew15062

5+ Year Member
yeah i would say build custom...your gonna save money that way
but if you want to go with a name brand definately go HP over dell

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
You can always make it "legal" ;)
co-sign that haha

and yea if you dont decide to build one dont spend 300$ on useless mini-laptop when you can pay an extra 100$ for a normal size one

if you just use to explore the internet then yea it would be good but if your likr me burning music,downloadin movies,playin pc games,ect then you should go with a reg size laptop

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I just read half of your OP, just wanted to point out that unless you need the mobility of a laptop, a desktop needs less maintenance. 20% of laptops need hardware maintenance somewhere in their lifetime. I had an HP laptop for a year and a half, motherboard crashed once, hard drive crashed three times. I got a $500 Toshiba laptop about 5-6 months ago, havent had a problem yet. Good luck.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Building isn't that hard... just buy all the components and plug them in where they go. And don't forget to RTFM while you're doing it.

Basic Rig:
Motherboard (w/onboard gpu)
CPU
Video Card (if you want to game, onboard graphics don't cut it)
Hard Drive
DVD-RW ROM
Computer Case
If you're like me, get a floppy drive to go with it. I use it to make boot disks... call me paranoid.
You still use floppys? :???:

Actually Onboard graphics can cut it. Just get extra memory since the computer will share the memory.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
x2 on building a machine. I am building an i7 920 with 12 GB of ram, 1.5 tb hd, blu-ray, and vista ultimate 64-bit for just over $1500. Just need to know where to source legal copies of software.

I am putting one in my i7 just in case. Mainly for backups and BIOS updates.

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I use them to boot into DOS for low-level operations, though I know you can use usb flash drives now... I just don't have any extra laying around and I have a floppy drive, so why not use it?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why the hell are people getting more than 4GB of memory. It's just wasted money.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup, Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium.
I'm listening. Last computer I ended up buying from Dell because I couldn't do it any cheaper myself.

Anything I really want to use for gaming and such I build myself but a little web surfing unit I couldn't undercut because of the OS.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why the hell are people getting more than 4GB of memory. It's just wasted money.
its part of the package deal that I am getting. I am probably only going to use the 6 and sell the other

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
x2 on building a machine. I am building an i7 920 with 12 GB of ram, 1.5 tb hd, blu-ray, and vista ultimate 64-bit for just over $1500. Just need to know where to source legal copies of software.

I am putting one in my i7 just in case. Mainly for backups and BIOS updates.
I haven't used a floppy is over 2 years. There's no need for one anymore.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I haven't used a floppy is over 2 years. There's no need for one anymore.
We still use them at work on a regular basis for creating images and the such for our machines. Plus for $20 its a card reader as well.