Looking for some imput

95 modified

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm considering buying this MB Quart Setup. I will be buying 2 sets and will be installed front and rear of my 95 Civic. I'm going to wire them to a RF 4 channel 700 watt amp. Is their any way that in time I would end up w/ blown speakers? I have never bought component speakers. I have bought speakers in the past and blown them. I have included a link to the site to check out the specs on them.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6765/DSF216--MB-Quart-65"-2-Way-Component-Speaker-System.htm

xWIREMANx

I would say go with MB Quart over PG. Look at their 6.5 components and compare, not the 5.25. MB Quarts used to be great, maybe not as much any more since they were bought out but still better than PG.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
proof?

Do a review on the pg comp set

they've been the forum boner comp set on many car audio forums for 2+ years

xWIREMANx

proof?

Do a review on the pg comp set

they've been the forum boner comp set on many car audio forums for 2+ years
Well i'm not here to argue about it eggy. Just giving my personal opinion. When it comes down to buying something it is all a matter of pesonal opinion to the buyer. If he really wants to know what is better then he either needs to go to an audio shop to listen and compare instead of relying on brands and specs or others opinions or buy both and listen to them then return the ones he dislikes. Maybe he is tone deaf and a set of sony xplod's would be more to his liking. I have had customers swear they are when they compare speakers in the store. I'm just going off of what I have heard in cars that I work on and what I have owned. I prefer MB Quart over PG and others will not and that is just the way it is, but if I had my choice it would be Focal.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. The RSD are better, hands down. MB Quart is not "the s**t" like it used to be back in your dad's day.
2. Yes, you most certainly can blow them if you feed them a clipped signal from listening to a poor quality source, improper tune, etc.
3. You don't need components in the rear, your front sound stage is what is vital. Rear speakers should be used a fill and honestly shouldn't even be amplified.

All in all, listen to eggy or even myself, I believe he is also an installer or used to be. We work in the field, we've had experience.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. MB Quart is not "the s**t" like it used to be back in your dad's day.
To be honest, the same can be said about PG as well.

Lets be serious for a second. Do you really think OP is really going to hear the difference? Nothing about OP personally, but he doesn't sound to be an audiophile and like 80% of the people that put speakers in their car, he won't like be able to hear a difference.

In his case, I would go on price.

xWIREMANx said:
Well if you have experience in the field then you would have relized my sig
Not to get too harsh but just because you put MECP Master in your sig doesn't magically make people trust your information. You may or may not be, how are we really supposed to know? You have to earn your keep on forums because to be completely honest, anyone could put that in their sig. I could put that I am a doctor in my sig and go throwing advice around on a medical forum. Because I put MD in my sig that has to mean that I really am a doctor right? I would have to actually prove that I am through my knowledge and professionalism, not just by "saying" that I am. Get my point?

xWIREMANx

I get your point lethal6. That is why I put my license number in there as well if someone really wants to go to the extent of contacting mecp to verify. Everything on the internet is for people to decide if it's true or not. I know I have to earn my status and even if I do I'm not really trying to throw my master cert in anyones face. Just because I'm master certified doesn't mean that I'm always right or better than anyone else. I will be the first to admit that I have been wrong on many occasions. It is just there for some credibility and I welecome questions that would challenge my knowledge. I mainly started doing the forum thing for one that I love hondas even though I don't own one anymore and two to exercise my mind in car audio to keep it fresh since my job doesn't so much anymore. And yes you are correct that MB Quart and PG are nothing what they used to be. Not many brands are as they build a name then sell their name to companies such as audiovox or D.E.I. (Directed electronics) and are then built at Chinese s**t box factories. Or the company just built a name and went cheap later themselves.

95 modified

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I already bought 2 sets of the RSD65cs - Phoenix Gold 6.5 component that eggyhustles referred to. I would never buy sony xploid. Not happy with their quality.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Best Buy installers are MECP certified

Doesn't prove a thing.

tell me...
mr car audio expert...

whats an aperiodic membrane?
whats the difference between phase and polarity?
whats OHM's law?
whats a multiplex circuit?
whats the pro and cons of a 4th order bandpass?
whats the difference between a Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley crossover?

have fun with google

I already bought 2 sets of the RSD65cs - Phoenix Gold 6.5 component that eggyhustles referred to. I would never buy sony xploid. Not happy with their quality.
Only needed 1 set to be honest.

What are you gonna use the power them?

sundown sax 100.4 would be ideal imo

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Best Buy installers are MECP certified

Doesn't prove a thing.

tell me...
mr car audio expert...

whats an aperiodic membrane?
whats the difference between phase and polarity?
whats OHM's law?
whats a multiplex circuit?
whats the pro and cons of a 4th order bandpass?
whats the difference between a Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley crossover?
which engine would be the best for my skyline? a gallo 8, or gallo 12?

DIDNT KNOW PIZZA SHOPS MADE MOTORS! ! (ohhh, sick burn)

cobb2819

Them Phoenix Gold look like their made of better quality material.
if one thing is true about speakers, you can't go based on looks. both the speakers you were optioned with are decent speakers, but if you went on looks, no one would ever buy stuff like Hybrid Audio, Audison or Ultra Subs. i think you would have been happy with either set, but I also agree that you probably didn't need a set for the rears. if you're running a sub you probably won't even hear rear fill that much anyway.

cobb2819

i like the L4 for a mid range. there is something to say about a speaker with a 17k hz response. i think Hybrid makes some great stuff if all you do is custom make panels. i have not been impressed with the Imagine line, however i'm waiting to hear their 6.5" sub. when it comes to speakers i'm a Hertz fan.

cobb2819

dyn makes some wicked stuff, but i'm more into their home line, Focal has never done it for me...just seemed like you were buying the name. put a set of Hybrid L61 Active next to them and yeah...

i'm not gonna complain though, i still own a set of focal K2 5.25" components...haha

95 modified

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1 set will be installed in the front doors. The other set rear deck. Both Sets will be powered by RF 700.4 heatsink style amp.