Looking to get a bike....

EatingYourBrainsY0

Team Sin Motorsports
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the time has come and i think i would like to get a street bike this summer.
Im new to this completely!
I want to get something used and just use it to learn to ride and cruise around some times in the summer to the beach and whatnot.

I have no idea what to look for or what is considered a good deal with price VS mileage.
I have been told to not get anything lower than a 500 for my first bike.

Any recommendations on brands out there?
What should i be looking for in a bike?
What do i estimate to spend?
Besides locally and craigslist and ebay, any reputable sites to find one of these from?

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive got a 04 cbr 600rr w/ 9k miles. If your interested. PM me with a offer.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What am I missing about the drop-off mail box???
Dank, about how much are you looking to get for the bike?

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
see ive been told to stay 500 and under for your 1st bike. right now im looking at a nija 250

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you'll get bored pretty quick. Stay away from the sport 600's but a 650 or 550 would be fine and keep you entertained too.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not to get anything lower than a 500?

The only reason that holds any water whatsoever is that the US is about the only market in the entire world that doesn't get a decent 400.

But the 500 cc mark is perfect starting point.

The GS500F is bulletproof, easy to maintain, comfortable, handles pretty well if you are a light weight rider, (change the fork springs if you're a heavier guy...they are too soft for anyone over 175) get's great gas mileage, and did I mention that it is bulletproof reliable? Sure, it's a little slow. High 13 second 1/4 miles with a good rider. But if it's your first bike then you probably aren't going to be ripping the 11 second 1/4 mile times off on a CBR600F4i.

500 Ninja. Does everything the GS does and does it a little faster

The 600 Katana is kind of on the portly side. It is essentially a downsized 750 that was designed when all the other 600s were upsized 400s. It has a 3000 mile maintenance interval for the valve clearances. But some new riders do really well with it's slower handling. It sticks real well in corners but you gotta kind of force it around. It is comfortable and will ass-stomp the GS500 and 500 Ninja

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not going to lie, the new Kawi 250R is pretty tempting as a fun little gas saver. Gets rave reviews too.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Happy reading!

After a rash of posts about what bike to get as a first bike, and a lot of posts defending the reasoning behind "only a 600" or "having respect", or "too big to ride a small bike"....

Why not a GSXR/R6/ZXR/CBR/996 etc?

Well, I am not sure that the fact that these are "only 600's" means a great deal, they are seen as "slow" by newer riders, and therefore easier to master than the 1000cc versions. Many people have said that they feel a 750 would be fine.

I guess that your idea of slow, is a fair bit different to mine. My idea of slow is something that accelerates like, say, a Geo Metro, not something that accelerates faster than a Dodge Viper.

Lets face it, the modern 600 is faster than a 750 of six or seven years ago, in a straight line, up to about 130mph.......

Six years ago the 750 class was in the middle of open warefare season, the (then new) SRAD 750 was the king of the beasts, trouncing the CBR900RR, and the FZR1000 or Chunderace) and destroying everything else in its path. Not just in a straight line either, but the 96 SRAD was a marvellous corner carver.

In its day, it was brutal - it still is, wild head shakes, inadvertant wheelies, and an utterly brutal rush beyond 10K RPM.

The latest 600's whilst just as fast, are only slightly more civilised, the power is not as brutal, but there is still a huge rush, and on the dyno they are only a couple of HP short of the benchmark.

So the power of the latest 600's is amazing, there is frankly more than 99% of people can use, and more than anyone can need on the street - on the track its a different matter, but we are talking street bikes here.....

Its not just the power either, its the power delivery.

These bikes are race-bikes with lights, or at least they are very, very similar to race bikes. In order to be competative in racing, where modifications are minimal, the engines are tuned to be very "racer friendly". The throttle response beyond a few thousand revs is instant, this is great if you are on a track, but merely OK on the road. If you are heavy-handed, it can be very dangerous. The MSF course teaches you to roll on the throttle in a curve, to a newr rider, rolling on is just that, add 1/4 turn maybe ? Well with a modern sports bike 1/4 turn is FULL throttle. Rolling on on these bikes means may 1/32nd of a turn - if that.

This is not a nice trait - you have just gone from 20hp to 80hp in the blink of an eye, and you lowsided - if you are lucky- into the scenery.

So, handling is the next problem.

These bikes are race bikes with lights, this means that they are super-fast handling. In fact they are astonishingly nervous, in order to make they turn fast, they are set-up to respond to minute inputs, and this is another major issue for a new rider. A new rider will not have the subltly of input that the bike needs, rather than push the bars, you apply a slight pressure, and the bike sails into the bends, push on the bars hard, and it becomes all nervous and unsettled, and again, the new rider may be lucky to get through the bend.

Obviously this will not be a good thing - to an experienced rider these bikes feel planted, and predictable, for a new rider, they feel horrible, and your confidence takes a hit.

Ok - Brakes

Again, these bikes are similar to race bikes. One of the few places that they differ is in the braking department. The brake pads have to last a little longer than race compound ones, so they are a little less brutal than those on a racer, also they have rubber hoses, which have a little "give" in them, making it harder to lock the fronts.

But, they are still eye-poppingly good, its possible to stand any of these bikes on its nose, at really, really high speeds, assumning you are hard enough on the brakes.

Then there is the rear brake, and again this is overly efficient, all too easy to lock it, all to easy to high-side as a result of the locked brake.

Repair costs.

As they are race replica's they comer covered in expensive plastic. Each side is $600 or more. A slow-speed drop could easily cost you over $1000 just in plastic bits. Add to that the normal "consumables" and you are in the $1300 range for a 10mph spill.

Combine all of these factors, and I hope that you see why a sportsbike is not a good first bike.

It has exactly the wrong set of characteristics for a new rider to learn to ride. Its too fast, too responsive, too twitchy, too nervous, the brakes are too sharp and they cost a lot to fix.

I'm not going to tell you that you should not get one (I'm not your mother), just that you need to bear in mind that these bikes belong in the "expert class", not the "new rider" one.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I figure that many people want to get a bike, and want to just jump on it, and ride.

Here are a few things that I tell people.....

1) Gear

Buy loads and always wear it !

Your skin is really easy to wear through when you fall off, at 30mph, on an average road, skin will last about 1.1/2 inches per layer - given that you have 6-9 layers, as soons as have slid maybe 14 inches, you are down to wearing out flesh, and bone.

Jeans last all of 6 inches at 30mph, the higher the speed, the shorter the distance they last, and the faster you wear out your skin and bone.

Your ankles are vulernable if you ride in sneakers, socks have very little abrasion resistion, and wear through faster than jeans. Walking without ankle bones, or with shaved ones, is extremely difficult.

Your head is easy to protect, you need a helmet.

German military style helmets offer no facial protection, even if you are extremely ugly, you will be worse off after your first face plant.

Chewing is tough with a broken jaw bone, or no teeth, and baby food sucks after the first couple of months.

Budget for a lot of gear
Boots - $150-$200
Jacket - $300-$400
Riding pants $200
Gloves $150
Helmet $200 - $600

Then there are things like adding CE armour, under-leathers for the summer, spare gloves for when you get you favorites wet, and maybe a 1-pice if you go to the track.

2) Training.

In the US you can take an MSF course, and many states accept successfull completing of the course as a license waver.

For what it costs ($free - $250) and the time it takes, its more than worth it. Do it yearly.

Now you are ready for your first bike.

First Bike

Ask yourself a few questions....

1) Did you "ace" the MSF course ?
2) Have you ridden dirt bikes since before you could walk ?
3) Are you Wayne Rainey ?
4) Did you "get your knee down" on the slalom test ?

If you answered yes, to all of them, maybe, just maybe, you are ready for a GSXR600/R6/CBR6/RX6R etc.

If not, and I doubt that many people can honestly answer all of those "yes", may I suggest another set of questions ?

1) Is Survival more important than style?

(If not, go by a GSXR1000)

2) Do you care about learning to ride ?

(If No - you are a squid - and beyond help)

3) Like the look of the SV650 ?

4) Do you mind if you drop your chosen bike a few times in the next two years ?

So, if you want to learn to ride, and you are not bothered about image, buy something that is not going to kill you as soon as you open the throttle.

My I suggest an EX250, EX500, GS500, SV650 ?

maintenance

Learn how to fix your bike, in general dealers will ass-rape you, especially if you come over as a clueless newbie all the time.

Essential home fixxors are....

Clean and lube the chain
Adjust the chain
change oil and filter
inspect and replace brake pads
Adjust bearings (head race)

For these jobs you need a good torque wrench, a selection of sockets, a couple of small 10mm and 12mm wrenches.

For the head bearings your bike came with a tool.

Front and rear stands are more than usefull.

Again - budget about $500 for tools, stands, manual etc.

Still want to own a bike ?

Good, lets talk about insurance.....

You need it, and if you are 16, trying to insure a GSXR1000, you had better hope that your daddy is rich. There is a reason that people under 25 find sports bikes tough to insure, and the reason is that they make a lot of claims, they are a high risk.

Set your sights on an older, slower, cheaper to insure/fix machine, and get full coverage.

Get a quote before you buy a bike, this way at least you will not be stuck with something that you cannot afford to insure.

Finally you are ready to hit the road, you have your bike, your gear, insurance, a license, and a clue (training).......