Military and CARB

Montagnard184

I have been a Texas resident since being stationed there in 1998-2001. Since then I have maintained this residency because of all the benefits: no state tax, cheap vehicle registration, etc. The only reason I have been able to maintain this residency wherever I go is because I am still in the military. Unfortunately, I will likely be settling in California to appease my wife, who stuck by me through multiple deployments and other tough times. Here is my issue: next week a Turbonetics kit is going into my 98 civic ex, along with many (not all) of the necessary accoutrements. I am a resident of a non-emissions testing county in Texas (Bell). If I move to California after I retire, I will either have to find a way to pass emissions testing or find a way to maintain Texas residency while residing in California. Anybody know how I can do this. I prefer to stay a Texas resident for a whole lot of reasons, but if I can't, how do I pass the CA emissions test without taking all of the "goodies" out? Can a tech adjust things through EMS so I can pass? I appreciate any help in this matter.;)

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you'll need to get carbed but I'm not sure what that includes.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will not be able to keep your TX residency after you retire if you decide to move to CA. You could always pay someone to dirty smog the car, but then you run the risk of the roadside emissions check points

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have been a Texas resident since being stationed there in 1998-2001. Since then I have maintained this residency because of all the benefits: no state tax, cheap vehicle registration, etc. The only reason I have been able to maintain this residency wherever I go is because I am still in the military. Unfortunately, I will likely be settling in California to appease my wife, who stuck by me through multiple deployments and other tough times. Here is my issue: next week a Turbonetics kit is going into my 98 civic ex, along with many (not all) of the necessary accoutrements. I am a resident of a non-emissions testing county in Texas (Bell). If I move to California after I retire, I will either have to find a way to pass emissions testing or find a way to maintain Texas residency while residing in California. Anybody know how I can do this. I prefer to stay a Texas resident for a whole lot of reasons, but if I can't, how do I pass the CA emissions test without taking all of the "goodies" out? Can a tech adjust things through EMS so I can pass? I appreciate any help in this matter.;)
To have Texas residency while in California, you need to live in Texas for more than 50% of the year. Same goes with the car.

This might be more helpful:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Montagnard184

That sux. Maybe I'll just buy some property in Alaska and stay there for at least one day a year. I really don't want to pay state tax on my federal pension. CA is one of the few states that comes after military retirement. Any tax lawyers out there? I need a loophole.

Montagnard184

I wish I could

I don't have the option to re-enlist. I can just stay in, but I am starting to get tired of certain things. I am sure you know what I am talking about. I guess I could buy a CARB GReddy Kit, but I can't stand the thought of blowing $2000+ on my current Turbonetics kit. Oh, if only I could do it all over again.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ur best bet is to try and sell it or just get the components used that have the greddy carb numbers on them and supplement them in, that way unless ur forced to go to the state ref noone will probably even know.

mvnguyen

I'm also in the military currently stationed in Alaska and have lived in California all my life. A lot of my friends have modded cars and will not pass an emissions test. They paid off the tester and had a 'dirty' smog test done. I have never seen a roadside emissions checkpoint in California (southern). So maybe you could do the same?

emerican

Registered VIP
Hope it works out for you man
Thank you for your service
My stepdad has a little over 18 years in 15 of those active others in the gurad