Mishimoto's Exhaust Heat Wrap Review **Datalog screenshots included!**

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
Green forum:

We recently released our new Heat Wrap product and would like to supply data numbers from a test we ran. Below is data from the test to show you how much cooler your under-hood temperatures will be when using the Mishimoto Exhaust Wrap. Click on the link below to check out our heat wrap install guide!

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?p=2843215#post2843215

Introduction:

Exhaust runner and intake pipe (closest to the manifold) temperatures were measured with a Craftsman Digital Infrared Thermometer. The thermometer has a range from -50* F to 1000* F. Also in the test, intake temperatures within the intake manifold will be shown, as well as engine coolant temperatures through datalog screenshots.

Our tests were conducted comparing engine temperatures using an OEM header, an aftermarket header, and then an aftermarket headed wrapped in Mishimoto Heat Wrap. The three sets of temperatures which will be taken are:

1. Idle for 20 minutes
2. 1,600 rpms for 10 minutes
3. 3,000 rpms for 5 minutes

The datalog will be posted along with the average exhaust manifold runner and intake pipe temperature.

Test Vehicle:

The test vehicle for this experiment is a supercharged 1999 Honda Civic EX. It has the standard D16y8 motor, a few bolt-ons, and it is tuned with a Hondata s300 system.

Test #1 Stock Header

We immediately began working on it by letting the car idle for 20 minutes. Here is the datalog:

Average exhaust runner: 400* F Intake pipe: 112*

Note: The computer we were using at the time crashed after completing one test. We were unable to re-load this screen from here out, so a basic, more compact version, was quickly made.

Now, we raised the idle to 1,600 rpms and let it go for 10 minutes:

Average exhaust runner: 520* F Intake pipe: 122*

We then tested at 3,000 rpms for 5 minutes:

Average exhaust runner: 605* F Intake pipe: 125*

Test # 2 Aftermarket 4-1 Header

Once cooled down, we removed the OEM exhaust manifold and installed the aftermarket 4-1 header.

Now, we turn the car on and let idle for 20 minutes:

Average exhaust runner: 218* F Intake pipe: 100* F

Raised the idle to 1,600 rpms:

Average exhaust runner: 270* F Intake pipe: 118* F

Now, pressing on the gas and revving to 3,000 rpms:

Average exhaust runner: 300* F Intake pipe: 128*

Note: We are seeing lower temperatures in the runners due to the fact that this header is dissipating the heat into the bay faster than the cast steel OEM manifold.

Test #3 Mishimoto Wrapped Aftermarket 4-1 Header

Again, we allowed the car to fully cool down and we then removed the header, wrapped it and re-installed it. Click on the link below to check out our DIY guide on heat wrapping!

Once more, we allow the car to idle for 20 minutes:

Average exhaust runner: 540* F Intake pipe: 75*

Set the idle to 1,600 rpms and let sit for 10 minutes:

Average exhaust runner: 620* F Intake pipe: 88*

And once more revved the motor to 3,000 rpms:

Average exhaust runner: 730* F Intake pipe: 115*

Conclusion:

As you can see, the average intake pipe temperature was drastically reduced by up to 25%. The Mishimoto Heat Wrap does keep your engine bay cooler, resulting in a more efficiently running engine.

More pictures of installed header wrap.

How can you do this yourself? Click the link below to find out how!

Thanks!

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice test and good numbers

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've always been curious and this may sound like a silly question... But does heat wrapping a header make it more prone to cracking or breaking in the long run because it keeps more heat in?

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldve also liked to see dyno pulls

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
I've always been curious and this may sound like a silly question... But does heat wrapping a header make it more prone to cracking or breaking in the long run because it keeps more heat in?
I have heard that cracking can happen due to the header breaking down faster than unwrapped. However, if done and sealed properly, the header should not experience those issues you mention.

I wouldve also liked to see dyno pulls
If only we had a dyno machine available! That would have been great to use for this test.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think those are "real world" numbers. The car idled, revved up to 1600 and then to 3000. Did you have a high speed fan blowing to replicate air moving through the engine bay? If it wasn't I think you should to get more real world temperatures.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
The hood of the test car used was vented, so if we were moving, air would have been coming through, possibly altering the numbers.

Also, once the car is not under load, the exhaust temperatures will start to decrease quickly. We wanted to be able to keep the car from moving and take the temperatures while the rpms are up at 1600, and then 3000, instead of driving around, stopping, popping the hood, then getting out and taking temperatures. The fans did start up when performing the 3,000 rpm test with each header set-up.

Thanks!

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think a vented hood brings real numbers. I'll believe the numbers once this is tested in real world conditions. I think a temperature sensor ON the headers and ON the intake pipe would've been a better idea instead of just a Infrared Sensor.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
This test was to simply show the difference that the header wrap makes. It was a big difference!

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where did you find the steel ties? Any Home Depot or local hardware store?

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
The steel ties come with the heat wrap we sell. You can also purchase them separately from us as well. Check out our website!

WellFedHobo

5+ Year Member
He's referring to the owner of the Civic whose engine bay pictures are used as examples. cvcrcr is part of his handle on another forum. His build is known and respected.

WellFedHobo

5+ Year Member
Wow, did not know this was your handle over here. All I knew was that you had a lot of Mishi stuff. lol. iFail.

jonesEK

5+ Year Member
how does this heat wrap compare to Titanium heat wraps?

EDIT: What happens when u change ur oil? when i remove my oil filter it splooshes all over the header behind where the 02 bung is

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member

EDIT: What happens when u change ur oil? when i remove my oil filter it splooshes all over the header behind where the 02 bung is
IMO, our heat wrap is the same as others "titanium" heat wrap.

My header's downpipe is no where near the oil drain plug. I have not gotten any oil on the header/heat wrap in the 4 or so oil changes I have done since the install.

jonesEK

5+ Year Member

IMO, our heat wrap is the same as others "titanium" heat wrap.

My header's downpipe is no where near the oil drain plug. I have not gotten any oil on the header/heat wrap in the 4 or so oil changes I have done since the install.
lol not the drain plug the OIL FILTER it leaks down and also gets on the header when i do it :what:

and titanium heat wrap "Withstands 1800˚F direct/2500˚F radiant heat"
whats the claim for the mishi heat wrap?
the conventional heat wrap's claim "Withstands 1200°F direct/2000°F radiant"