Mx-5 turbo on Em1?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just made this post in random thoughts because I've been thinking about this for a little while:

"I've been thinking of just throwing a really small turbo on my b16 that would spool super fast, I'd rather have good midrange for throttle response than crazy top end...like my dad's mazdspeed miata. It spools at like 4k, its only got 178ish hp and 166 tq @ 8.5 psi, (I think) but its the exact kind of powerband I would want, and I'm sure on my b16 it would make a lot more than 178bhp. He's been thinking of getting a flyin miata turbo kit for his car, if he does I might just jack his turbo and have some of the parts I need for free... All I know about the turbo is its a non ball bearing single scroll IHI turbo...and it's small. What do you guys think? Maybe I'll just make a thread about this in forced induction."

Yea, so what do you guys think? I realize it's a small small turbo, but that's kind of what I want, and it's small enough that I wouldn't need to build the internals (for the boost I would run) or worry about reliability. If my dad got an upgraded kit for it, I figure all I would need to get myself was the piping, fuel managment, bov, manifold, and to get it tuned. I'm not looking for 13's, just a nice little bump in power with good throttle response...comments?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ttt

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
idk what size it is, but i bet its small, and on a b16 id put something on there thatd make it worth the work.....trust me, you dont want a tiny turbo, waste of time imo

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I figured I'd ask because I would get a lot of the parts free..why would you say it's a waste of time? Besides the obvious not making a lot of power thing...I don't want like 220whp I just want a nice little bump, and again it would be free...I'm not really experienced in FI so a little more explanation would be great :D

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
Well I figured I'd ask because I would get a lot of the parts free..why would you say it's a waste of time? Besides the obvious not making a lot of power thing...I don't want like 220whp I just want a nice little bump, and again it would be free...I'm not really experienced in FI so a little more explanation would be great :D
would a free turbo really make a difference when you are still gonna have to shell out money for everything else?and with b series there is no way to ghetto rig a stock mani like d series. by the time you added everything up you could spend another 2-300$ on a better sized turbo and actually have some worthy power, thats how i see it.

you are looking at it like "free turbo!" which is cool, but to complete the process you are gonna be far from free, you might wanna start pricing everything you'll need and then decide if its worth it to you. again, to me it wouldnt be, not with that turbo on a nice b16 (d series maybe)

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know I'd have to buy everything else, but I mean, the turbo, wastegate, and maybe the front mount I could use, which would free up a fairly large amount of parts. But you have more FI experience than me so I appreciate the input =)

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, you could use the turbo (theoretically) and the internal wg, the fmic MIGHT work idk ive never seen it done and itd take some work, but you still have money in a manifold (the biggest part) injectors, ecu, tuning, oil lines, ic piping, bov, and INSTALLATION.

i guess im just looking at one number and one number only.not power, not size, but cost. i wouldnt just all of a sudden decide to boost a b16 bc i could get a free miata turbo ya know?theres alot more to it than that

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been wanting to boost for a long time, it's just now that I have the possibility on some free parts so my interest is starting to peak. And I have people than can help me install it, so that won't be a cost issue. But I see what you be sayin.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Basically, if your gonna do it, do it right and that just cause you can get a "free" miata turbo, sure its great, but theres alot more to it, so even though it's a "free" turbo, get something else that will really benefit you, especially if there "won't be a cost issue"

just my two cents

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This will benefit me, I don't want a large turbo, I want something that spools fast and will give me mainly midrange power. Just cuz I'm getting a lot of the parts free doesn't mean I'm using bad parts, all the parts will have less than 20k on them cuz my dad hardly drives his mx-5 and he doesn't drive it hard at all.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like a plan then, I was just saying...eh nevermind. :lol: keep us updated.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all you are getting free is a turbo/wg and MAYBE an intercooler.

but you seem pretty set on doing this so idk why you are asking for opinions....

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My dad's b day is in a few weeks, i'm going to encourage him to buy himself the kit so i can get things in motion

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
all you are getting free is a turbo/wg and MAYBE an intercooler.

but you seem pretty set on doing this so idk why you are asking for opinions....
Better than nothing? Free parts are free parts...I'm asking for opinions because...I want them? I don't know what kind of question that is :lol: Just looking for any potential problems and advice from the people with more experience than me...

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol..but the opinion was, get a better setup, but you were keen on this setup..

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm keen on this setup because I don't have the money to buy a full kit at the moment...

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont wanna fight you on this, but thats what stealthy was saying...

dont bother with this, because you won't even be able to get a full setup, and when you do get the funds, there probably something to suit you better, so dont go after "turbo" just because you can get some of the parts for free... see what im saying? or nah? either way, haha im not trying to argue, just give opinion..

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Asked around on a miata forum, its a IHI4 T25 capable of 16psi...

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the only thing u will probably be able to use is the turbocharger itself. u still got tons of other parts to get. you will probably spend atleast $1k just to get it running. then with all the time and money spent.. u will just be disappointed from the power you will get from that small turbo.