New to Hondas - Questions.....

CivicEXCoupe

5+ Year Member
So what kinda of HP limits are there compared with the SOHC D16Z6 vs. B18C5? Because from some things I have read (on the internet, so who knows if it is true or not) 400 - 500 hp on a D16 is possible. I would assume that the B18 would rev faster since it is DOHC.

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a C5 is a waste of money IMO unless your going to leave it stock. I've seen dyno charts where people try to build them and they loose power. Your best bet for 400-500 is going to be a sleeved/built B-series (FI Obviously). I really wouldn't bother with a D series if your headed for big numbers they just don't flow like the DOHC motors. If your going to fully build a motor I would start with a B16 because they are much cheaper than a B18C1 and you can still easily get 400-500hp out of it sleeved and built with the right turbo combination.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So what kinda of HP limits are there compared with the SOHC D16Z6 vs. B18C5? Because from some things I have read (on the internet, so who knows if it is true or not) 400 - 500 hp on a D16 is possible. I would assume that the B18 would rev faster since it is DOHC.
The B18 will rev higher and it simply has more potential since it is has more power out of the box and was made as a performance motor. It's completely possible though to get 400-500 out of a D series. Either way, you are looking at a bottom end build including re-sleeving.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want turbo and 500whp, go b18c1 sleeved and built...NOT a type r. itr's' need to stay n/a imo

screw aem, go hondata, neptune, or crome.

CivicEXCoupe

5+ Year Member
Well, thank you all for the input. After some research on cranks, pistons, rods, etc, I think I will go with a B16, just because of the stroke/rod combos. Now to find me an older DelSol in a wrecking yard......

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Keep us up to date on whats going on with your build.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, thank you all for the input. After some research on cranks, pistons, rods, etc, I think I will go with a B16, just because of the stroke/rod combos. Now to find me an older DelSol in a wrecking yard......
id go b18c1 gsr and dont worry about the crank. b16s are torque less pieces.

CivicEXCoupe

5+ Year Member
I will, however, it will be slow going until my wife gets out of school. I seem to get too many projects going at once. Right now I am remodeling my bathroom, building a Yamaha XS650 chopper, blah, blah, blah....there are more, just hate listing all of them. (Harder to deal with once you see them wrote down...hahahaha).

The idea of getting 400-500 hp out of a 4cyl has me pretty excited. I have a buddy with a flo-bench, so depending on what is out there, I may make my own intake and exhaust manifolds. I have a design for an intake that a guy wanted me to build him and he ended up going a different route completely....

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dude access to a flow bench whenever you want? Thats nice as hell.

CivicEXCoupe

5+ Year Member
He is an old family friend. Super cool guy, although, he has been giving me a TON of s**t for trying to build a "go-cart" as he calls it. He is used to running mountain motors.....600cu.in. and bigger.......but he knows his s**t when it comes to making a motor breath right. ie....polishing isn't that great, can actually make a motor flow even worse than stock.

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well you will just have to show him what a "GO!!!-Cart" can do! Lol

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would have to disagree with all of you when you say the aem is garbage. my brother has an aem... at the time there was nothing out for the p14 ecu and he got a killer deal on the ems. also, the wide band is a must when it comes to tuning a car. what people haven't mentioned is the b20vtec aka crv or the lsvtec aka b18b with b16a or b18c head... you can build those to be just at strong as the gsr and b16. if you are building it completely, full out... then why not get an ls to start with. there is so much that you can do.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would have to disagree with all of you when you say the aem is garbage. my brother has an aem... at the time there was nothing out for the p14 ecu and he got a killer deal on the ems. also, the wide band is a must when it comes to tuning a car. what people haven't mentioned is the b20vtec aka crv or the lsvtec aka b18b with b16a or b18c head... you can build those to be just at strong as the gsr and b16. if you are building it completely, full out... then why not get an ls to start with. there is so much that you can do.
i dont think the aem ems is junk, i would call it....over priced.

just so you know, OP.....if you are content with 400whp or so, a stock sleeved and mild built gsr will be fine for you. its what i built and am building another one for my brother. basically rebuilt gsr bottom, cp 9:1 81.5mm pistons, eagle h beam rods, STOCK sleeves bored .020 over and STOCK head. once i finish my turbo kit, i will get it tuned at around 425-450whp and still be reliable.

check out www.evans-tuning.com for a bunch of dyno charts so you can see what it takes to get X amount of power

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pushing that kind of power/heat through your motor don't you think you may want some titanium valves? Just to be on the safe side.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pushing that kind of power/heat through your motor don't you think you may want some titanium valves? Just to be on the safe side.
not needed.

HybridKyle

5+ Year Member
CivicEX, I would go and see if you can find a "Honda Swap Guide" at like Books-A-Million or similar, it not only outlines the different swaps for your car, and many others, but it will also help you out on the OBD status of a vehicle and give you many options from what vehicle to find the motor you are looking for. It's also nice to have around come swap time.