Oil Consumption/Smoking. Help Please.

demonicdelsol

Hi, this is on a 97 JDM GSR swap in a 96 ex coupe.
I've already changed out the PCV valve. I did a compression check and i have over 215psi on all cylinders.
I just got head work done maybe 1000 miles ago. Cams, Valvesprings and retainers, and porting of the head.
It is kinda of white bluish smoke, which means oil. And it uses about 3qts within 1000 miles.
It also only smokes if i hit the throttle hard. If im not on the gas hard or idling or just rolling it doesnt smoke.
Im going to try a Leak Down Test Monday.
Anyone specifically seen this problem before or maybe know what it could be?

suzukimxer1

Sounds like valve seals if ur guide clearance was big to begin with and you had this work done now ur sealing up on the valve seats better creating a better vaccum signal that is pulling the oil past the seals

Wink's EJ8

Wink's EJ8
im not to sure about the smoking maybe bad o2 sensors but check your oil pan for any cracks or holes in the oil pan itself and check to see if the oil pan gasket is leaking

Themegajosh09

Blow by is what it sounds like to me.
If you take off your oil cap when it's idling does air come out??
If it does you need new piston rings. Which means you need to rebuild the block.
If you don't do anything about it it won't harm the engine if it is a blow by. But it will use oil!!

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Since your compression test results are good, 215psi or close(within 10%) on all cylinders is good. It sounds to me like a problem in the head, valve seals probably?

Take it back to the place where you had the headwork done and tell them about your problem.