Ok seriously what the f**k is next?

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/31678 said:
At last, the music industry admits what we've known for years: That filing music-swapping lawsuits against teenagers, little old ladies, and corpses is a fool's errand (not to mention an expensive headache for the defendants). But don't worry—the RIAA has something new up its sleeves.
The new strategy (as reported by the Wall Street Journal): If the music industry finds out that you're swapping music files online, it'll send an e-mail to your ISP (agreements have already hashed out agreements with "some" unnamed service providers, apparently), which will in turn forward the message to you—probably with a little "P.S." asking you to stop. [Update: CNET has a copy of the RIAA's form letter to ISPs.]

If you don't stop, well ... your service provider probably won't sue you, but it might slow down your broadband connection, or cut off your service altogether.

So, why has the RIAA changed the play? Well, maybe it's been looking at reports like this one from the NPD Group, which shows that U.S. CD sales continue to slide, while the number of tunes shared via P2P sites continues to increase, despite all the litigation.

And then there's the disastrous headlines, as the RIAA relentlessly tracked down and sued tens of thousands of alleged music pirates. Among them: Kids, octogenarians, and a few dead people.

Reaction to the news? Mixed. Engadget's headline reads (in part): "RIAA finds its soul," with the story noting that while the RIAA reserves the right to go after "heavy uploaders or repeat offenders ... it appears that single mothers are in the clear."

All Things Digital has a darker outlook, speculating that ISPs—which "care about the cost of moving lots of data around … [and] want to make money by selling, renting, or just offering up Hollywood's movies and TV shows to subscribers"—might be more than content to "cut off file-sharers … [or] simply [charge] heavy file-sharers a lot of money."

And here's another possibility, courtesy of yours truly: Say your ISP catches you sharing tunes via P2P. No problem—download away! But when you get your next cable bill, you'll find the itemized songs added to your monthly charge, kind of like an iTunes bill.

Call it the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy.

P.S. Make no mistake—just because the RIAA has stopped filing new music-swapping lawsuits doesn't mean that it's dropped the existing ones, according to the Journal. Quite the contrary.

So all these kids that blow up buildings with information they find on the internet? Shouldn't their ISP's cut of their whole families too?
What the f**k its the INTERNET, where you can do whatever the hell you please.

I mean I dont download anymore because of all this s**t anyway, but f**k, whats it coming to? If my buddy comes to my house and downloads some s**t is that going to be added to MY bill?

Last edited:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Trying to put laws on the internet is like trying to put laws sports.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only et music from itunes anyway :what:

im totally not against having photoshop cs4 for free :cool:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't buy CDs anymore because it's dumb. I don't buy songs online because it's expensive, 99 cents for a song.I can download it for free.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't buy CDs anymore because it's dumb. I don't buy songs online because it's expensive, 99 cents for a song.I can download it for free.
very true, but ever since my computer crashed i stay away from the illegal downloads just to be safe.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If i think a cd is going to be worth the 15 dollars i'll buy it.
But alot of cd's are crap. They have one good song and the rest is crappy.
and if they want to sue anyone it should be the govt. They made the internet. Its there fault to begin with =)

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
=)
:word:

I made sure Every CD I have purchased in teh last 4 years is good down to the last song. Thats including Linkin Park, Atreyu and i think thats it.

We cant talk about p2p on here much, but ill say this, none of that will happen. Its over exaggerated. ISP's wont do all that to its customers, at least not to THAT extent.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
But alot of cd's are crap. They have one good song and the rest is crappy.
and if they want to sue anyone it should be the govt. They made the internet. Its there fault to begin with =)
WTF!?!?!? you're crazy man...

al gore invented the internet...

w574d

5+ Year Member
al gore invented the internet...
took the typed words right out of my fingers.

its his fault. he should pay.
he also invented up global warming

civic96hb

USAF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You know whats going to happen if we keep dl music from the internet illegally?
Well go a couple of days w/o listening to the radio,or only listen to the music you hav now,
cause soon the music industry is going to run out of money.

BYE BYE NEW MUSIC....

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Guys, you don't get it.

Instead of the defendants wanting to waste money on a fool's errand, they want ISP providers to lose money by cutting off or slowing down connections. :smackself:

Sounds f**king stupid.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They can't do what they are trying to do in the op's post. ISP's have privacy policies for that kinda stuff, and if they changed it and omitted from the policy that they can look at whatever you download and such whenever they want, people would freak out. So with the policy in place if they did do what they are implying is going to happen, there will be many counter suits and many new lawsuits against the ISP's.....

I wouldn't worry too much about this little threat, the RIAA is just using scare tactics now, major cable and dsl ISP's like most of them are aren't stupid enough to do what the RIAA says.

Plus why would they restrict your bandwidth and charge you for downloads... thats driving the customer away for them, they would never do that.

Ryoslide

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is what I think....

#1 I've kinda noticed that in my small city we are getting bigger acts and well known bands stopin in and putting on concerts. Theres nothing like seeing your favorite band live and I think one good thing that comes from the loss of no-one buying CD's anymore, is that bands possibly to make a little or alot more money have to tour more and hit more places to make up some coin lost...Which suits me fine I enjoy a good concert. They should tour more a hi paid footbal player can't get a contract and sit in the locker-room. So get out and sing your butts off for my money.

2.alot of the music I seem to p2p is songs I already have on cd but its quicker to download them tunes then rip the cd. (well sometimes). Also back in my teen days alot of my disks were not taken care of and skip quite abit...so I have replaced some of my favorite tracks on them with P2P downloads.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
This is what I think....

#1 I've kinda noticed that in my small city we are getting bigger acts and well known bands stopin in and putting on concerts. Theres nothing like seeing your favorite band live and I think one good thing that comes from the loss of no-one buying CD's anymore, is that bands possibly to make a little or alot more money have to tour more and hit more places to make up some coin lost...Which suits me fine I enjoy a good concert. They should tour more a hi paid footbal player can't get a contract and sit in the locker-room. So get out and sing your butts off for my money.

2.alot of the music I seem to p2p is songs I already have on cd but its quicker to download them tunes then rip the cd. (well sometimes). Also back in my teen days alot of my disks were not taken care of and skip quite abit...so I have replaced some of my favorite tracks on them with P2P downloads.
Im pretty sure thats legal... as long as youve already purchased the music, you can download it again for your own personal use.

I know for a fact that ripping your own CD's for personal use is legal, for example... to put them on an MP3 player.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
regulating the internet.... LAWL

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much about this little threat, the RIAA is just using scare tactics now, major cable and dsl ISP's like most of them are aren't stupid enough to do what the RIAA says.

Plus why would they restrict your bandwidth and charge you for downloads... thats driving the customer away for them, they would never do that.
They sure scared the OP.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They can't do what they are trying to do in the op's post. ISP's have privacy policies for that kinda stuff, and if they changed it and omitted from the policy that they can look at whatever you download and such whenever they want, people would freak out. So with the policy in place if they did do what they are implying is going to happen, there will be many counter suits and many new lawsuits against the ISP's.....

/thread.