Old School: 89 Si Hatch Build

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Well, I picked this car up last fall before school started for me. I got a good deal on it, and the only problem was it had 222,XXX miles on it :/ . To graduate from the High Schools in Oregon, you have to complete a "senior project" that you have to invest 20 hours into. I decided to paint and repair the body work on the car lol. Heres some pics of the lil' beast :lol:

(I had no idea why the bumper wasn't the same color as the rest of the car like ALL si's are post to be...)

(I thought the sideways liscence plate was cool, until I realized it was hiding a hole in the bumper cover where a trailer hitch went through :shock:)

Well, a few days before I had all of the money to start the project, I got in a wreck :( ...I had summer tires on the car and we got a s**t LOAD of snow. It riped off the whole front bumper and crushed the right fender. I don't really have any good pics of the wreck, but this is what I got...

So, I set the project back one month, and worked a little bit more to pay for 3M panel bonder and some more bondo, studs, sandpaper etc lol. As you can see, heres the bumper and the fender after I fixed them...

I found at least one dent on EVERY Panel of the car :shock:

Now let the painting begin! :twisted:

And the Finished product :D

(Check out the blue pearl in this pic! I put a s**t load of blue pearl in the clear coat :cool:)

As of right now, the car is on the black steelies you can kinda see in the first pics of it. And it has a red stripe going through the center of the body molding. There was just way too much white on the car. I'll take and post a few pics of it when the weather clears up so you can see all of the pearl in the paint. The next steps for the car is a new windshield, a set of amber JDM corner lights (both r broken on my car), some racing seats (I have blue prelude seats that look like crap in the black/red si interior!) and a new moonroof glass because the one it has is cracked as well :(. I would like to get some Red Rota GT3's for it or some Red Konig ReTracks...either 15's or 16's. This summer before I leave Klamath Falls for OSU in Corvallis, I want to do a motor build. Either a D16 rebuild with mini swap, or a JDM B16A. It needs someting...the car eats its oil like a fat kid eats its cupcakes lol. I will go for the route that will be the most bang for the buck lol.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks clean but i think you should paint the trim black though, just makes the car look less boring imo

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks great after the paint job man, x2 on the black trim, but put a red pinstripe on the trim too!

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The paint and body work looks great. NIce start you have going for you.

oneThree

dcshoeco
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
love the old hatches, nice job, keep up the love.

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
looks clean but i think you should paint the trim black though, just makes the car look less boring imo
civicSIcoupe said:
looks great after the paint job man, x2 on the black trim, but put a red pinstripe on the trim too!
Yeah, I didn't like it too much before, WAY to much white lol. I decided to add a red strip to help make things a little more "wild"...I wish the weather was a little less shity so I could show you guys...i'm sure you would agree the red stripe helped it a lot lol.

TDjdm said:
Awesome, keep up with updates.
Thanks man ;) . I'll keep up with updates, there should be a lot of stuff coming in the next three months or so :roll:

AllStockHatch said:
The paint and body work looks great. NIce start you have going for you.
Many thanks sir :D

oneThree said:
love the old hatches, nice job, keep up the love.
Me too! Its a tough call, but I actually think I like them more than the EG's.

Brandon93eg said:
No way man! I live in Roseburg and my bro just moved to corvallis for OSU, and im movin there in 2 years.
Man, its one small world huh? :lol: Thats weird tho...a kid actually just moved to Klamath From Roseburg not too long ago. And I love OSU, that school is hella Bad ass lol

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Well, my end of summer updates. I managed to pick up some used ADR's for my Civic. I decided to paint to remove the rattle can black and repaint them with some single stage polar white. I'm pretty impressed with the results. I had to weld a cheapo fart can on the back because the cops were complaining about the "excessive noice" my straight pipe made :x. and I finally installed a new windshield. I still havent gotten around to replacing the corner lights yet :/ . Anyway,hope you enjoy the pics :D

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice work man, all you need is a drop...:thumbs up

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow! looks awesome! now just lower it and get some amber corners.

96hatchie

Pete
Well, my end of summer updates. I managed to pick up some used ADR's for my Civic. I decided to paint to remove the rattle can black and repaint them with some single stage polar white. I'm pretty impressed with the results. I had to weld a cheapo fart can on the back because the cops were complaining about the "excessive noice" my straight pipe made :x. and I finally installed a new windshield. I still havent gotten around to replacing the corner lights yet :/ . Anyway,hope you enjoy the pics :D

that white on white is clean man im sorry to buy ya bout the paint again but was the pearl hard to spray?

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
that white on white is clean man im sorry to buy ya bout the paint again but was the pearl hard to spray?
It wasn't hard at all. U put in as much pearl as desired into the clear coat, stir it, and spray it like any other paint. The only thing you have to watch out for is letting the pearl collect. If you spray to much clear coat at once, and dont do enough coats of it, the pearl will settle in a low spot. If you want to see what i'm talking about, look at some of my pics, and u might see black spots under the door handles where some pearl settled.

Very nice, good work!
Thanks man!

Nice work man, all you need is a drop...:thumbs up
wow! looks awesome! now just lower it and get some amber corners.
I really want do drop it, but its gonna have to wait till next summer :/ But i want to do it the right way, with camber kits, and sport shocks etc. I'm not into chopping springs lol. I almost bought some JDM ambers from password JDM, but all they have is amber corners for a 90-91 civic. I wasn't sure what it would take to make em fit in my car, so i decided to hold off for a little while on them.

96hatchie

Pete
It wasn't hard at all. U put in as much pearl as desired into the clear coat, stir it, and spray it like any other paint. The only thing you have to watch out for is letting the pearl collect. If you spray to much clear coat at once, and dont do enough coats of it, the pearl will settle in a low spot. If you want to see what i'm talking about, look at some of my pics, and u might see black spots under the door handles where some pearl settled.

o ok i see so theres like a spray window thats wut i figured who makes the pearl u put in the clear i looked online a bit and cudnt find any did u use like a powder?
o ya i was also wondering if u did a silver base coat or something cuz the pic of it after u sanded it it looks like its sprayed silver or is that just primer?