Old School: 89 Si Hatch Build

scruffilicious

5+ Year Member
Sweet ride man and thanks for the inspiration! I just bought an 89 today Ima have it home and started sometime this week! Looks like an awesome paint job man!

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
It wasn't hard at all. U put in as much pearl as desired into the clear coat, stir it, and spray it like any other paint. The only thing you have to watch out for is letting the pearl collect. If you spray to much clear coat at once, and dont do enough coats of it, the pearl will settle in a low spot. If you want to see what i'm talking about, look at some of my pics, and u might see black spots under the door handles where some pearl settled.

o ok i see so theres like a spray window thats wut i figured who makes the pearl u put in the clear i looked online a bit and cudnt find any did u use like a powder?
o ya i was also wondering if u did a silver base coat or something cuz the pic of it after u sanded it it looks like its sprayed silver or is that just primer?
I got the pearl from APS. Its an OMNI pearl, which I have heard is good, but far from the best money can buy. And yup! That silver base is primer ;)

Sweet ride man and thanks for the inspiration! I just bought an 89 today Ima have it home and started sometime this week! Looks like an awesome paint job man!
Hey, no problem =) Congrats on the purchase, and good luck!

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Well, not much of an update, but an update none the less. I got tired of my moonroof leaking on me, so I dropped the headliner and blew out the hoses. Talk about a pain in the ass lol. I managed to find a set of 90/91 Si seats, and a rear cargo tray. The Drivers seat has a rip in the bolster, which is typical. It was a pain in the ass welding the rails up to make it work, but is was success! I ran by the honda dealer, and got my seat belt clickers replaced, and the drivers side seat belt replaced for free. Its awesome that Honda warranties them for free! :lol:. AND I just ordered some 88-89 clear JDM corner lights. Pics will be posted soon. =)

Interior striped out...

Old prelude seats...

Old 88-89 Si rear seats

New 90-91 Si front seats

New Tray...

1991civicb16

Well, not much of an update, but an update none the less. I got tired of my moonroof leaking on me, so I dropped the headliner and blew out the hoses. Talk about a pain in the ass lol. I managed to find a set of 90/91 Si seats, and a rear cargo tray. The Drivers seat has a rip in the bolster, which is typical. It was a pain in the ass welding the rails up to make it work, but is was success! I ran by the honda dealer, and got my seat belt clickers replaced, and the drivers side seat belt replaced for free. Its awesome that Honda warranties them for free! :lol:. AND I just ordered some 88-89 clear JDM corner lights. Pics will be posted soon. =)

Interior striped out...

Old prelude seats...

Old 88-89 Si rear seats

New 90-91 Si front seats

New Tray...

Interior looks good. I am trying to find some si fronts too.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn dude looks great, DROP that bittttch and you will be even better...

Get those JDM corners?

Are you going to repair the seats?

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good, red lugs and red recarros and it would be sooo sick w/ ur paint/trim as is

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Thanks guys! I just ordered the corner lights today, so I should be getting them in a week or so. I would reupholster the drivers seat, but I've heard its impossible to match the fabric. So i'll probably swap the drivers seat with a ITR recarco when it completely wears out. I hadn't thought about red lugs, but they would look sweet! I'll have to look into that. Next thing on my list is a B16A SIR II, or a suspension drop. I'm not sure which project i'll tackle first! haha

Dave16

That thing looks sick all you need to do is drop it, and whats up with the exhaust slanted like crazy?

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
That thing looks sick all you need to do is drop it, and whats up with the exhaust slanted like crazy?
Thanks for all the props guys! Dave16, to answer your question...When I first bought the car, it was straight piped. Which I didn't mind lol. But the local cops had a problem with it. :roll: A friend of mind had that ebay fart can lying around, and I bought it for $30 and welded it on. It was meant for a EM1 I think because its wayyy to long to fit in my hatch. But its slanted because it didn't fit straight. Its only a temporary fix. Eventually i'm gonna buy a tanabe exhaust. But, I don't want to do that till a B16 swap.

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
Clean hatch and red lugs would look sik. But i like the tilted exhaust on the older hatche's and crx's. But you should drop it before you swap if there is nothing wrong with your motor thats what i would do.

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Clean hatch and red lugs would look sik. But i like the tilted exhaust on the older hatche's and crx's. But you should drop it before you swap if there is nothing wrong with your motor thats what i would do.
I think the tilted exhaust looks wayyyy better on a crx then the hatch. Lol, And everybody has been telling me I should drop it first, but the D is just getting really tired, and the synchros in the si tranny are getting pretty wore out.

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
Well i like them on both but if you really want to motor swap first i would sell that d and tranny to get some money for whatever your gonna put in it.

QueveNeby

Old School 89 Si Hatch Build

Thats a nice old truck , I just wonder is it hard to keep it on the road , I mean do you have to constantly maintain it? are parts hard to find?

Dave16

Oh ok temporary fix with the exhaust :D My buddy just got a civic si with DC sport exhaust, loudest crap I ever heard!!!!!

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks guys! I just ordered the corner lights today, so I should be getting them in a week or so. I would reupholster the drivers seat, but I've heard its impossible to match the fabric. So i'll probably swap the drivers seat with a ITR recarco when it completely wears out. I hadn't thought about red lugs, but they would look sweet! I'll have to look into that. Next thing on my list is a B16A SIR II, or a suspension drop. I'm not sure which project i'll tackle first! haha
nice yah im rocking white on white w/ red lugs and tow hook..lol im in oregon too! funny i thought i was the only white on white honda in this state.

2Fast924

5+ Year Member
Well its, been awhile, but I have an few updates. So, recently I picked up a D16A6 for $10. All that was wrong was a bad head gasket. And, I also bought a Z6 head for $50...but it needs a valve job. The JDM D15B (non-vtec) that is currently in the hatch is starting to get pretty tired and smoke more than I would like. My plan is to re-build the bottom end for reliability, and build the Z6 head for performance! I have all the OBD1 wiring, sensors, and intake manifold already. All I need is a P28 ECU, and a Z6 dizzy :D I never picked up the clear corner lights from Password JDM. I put the order in, just to have it refunded because they didn't have the lights. So, I gave up and bought a perfect OEM one from a buddy for $4. Anyways....enough bulls***ing! Heres some pics! ENJOY!!!!

Heres what the motor looked like when I got it...

Heres what it looks like currently....

And a box of goodies =)

And some beauty shots!