Overheating. Did i try everything?

94CiVbomB

5+ Year Member
my car did the same thing for awhile...a friend of mine told me to check the heater core? but idk...

it just turned out my header was completly blown...hahaha

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have a Leakdown test performed to rule out the head gasket.

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5thGenCX said:
Have a Leakdown test performed to rule out the head gasket.
cool. just had a test done. the guy says its a minor leak thats only gonna get worse. or a craked head. says the test showed a fluctuating leak.

quote : 900 bucks for head gasket and head work. :shock:

i spend 830 for water pump, timing belt, engine mount, radiator,thermastat , ...
ahhhh1!!!!

what to do!????

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on if you trust the guy that did the test.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do the headgasket yourself.

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it tough? 900 bucks isnt a good deal is it?

the motors got 217000 miles on it. should i just give up?

the head gasket.. is that as simple as unbolting the head and replacing the gasket? lol?

the guy said thehead gasket required alot of work. therefore 900 bucks.
or can he possibly said to get my pos out of his shop??!!? lol.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he's full of s**t. It's not exactly easy work but it's certainly not $900 worth. I've changed the headgasket in my buddy's circle track civic a couple times. Get a Haynes manual some tools and take your time. You'll be fine.

Or if your really that nervous take it to another shop and have them quote you for a head gasket change and see what they tell you.

C.F. Freak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$900 bucks? Jesus, he's pulling your balls out through your wallet!

My mechanic said he'd change my head gasket for $300!

Sm0ked0uTCiViC

Suck Ass Evil Pooper!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do it your self! Learn! It's not that hard! the first time i ever did a head gasket i was nervous to! But get a service man and some tools and a good torque wrench and you will be fine! just remember to get a head gasket for a d16y7 because those are MLS multi layer steel and they are way better than those shitty composite ones!

good luck

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
really, just do it yourself. My buddy's race civic was overheating like a bastard and we tried EVERYTHING. Finally we put on a new head gasket and now we don't even have to run the fan unless it's sitting idle.

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would put that money towards a swap, have you tried blasting your heater while driving? i know it sucks but i did it when my fan crapped out till my new one arrived and it kept my temp where it was supposed to be. well if you can find a way to hold your engine off from blowin up save for a swap dude. b18b swaps are cheap if you dont wanna spend to much, but with 900 bucks your more than half way there :thumbs up

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kali Bird said:
i would put that money towards a swap, have you tried blasting your heater while driving? i know it sucks but i did it when my fan crapped out till my new one arrived and it kept my temp where it was supposed to be. well if you can find a way to hold your engine off from blowin up save for a swap dude. b18b swaps are cheap if you dont wanna spend to much, but with 900 bucks your more than half way there :thumbs up
yeah im not going to fix it. its ok as long as i dont vtec it. lol. seriously im cruising at 3.5rpm and below and the car doesnt run hot.

once i push it. it burns.

just stashing the money away. hoping it last me till new 2007 model cars are revealed. think i might grow up and get a sedan. and project the civic.

booyaa!

5+ Year Member
i posted the same problem before. we replaced almost everything thats related with the cooling system.now its ok. check the head if its WARPED. it might need some shaving, bro.

JDM94HATCH

5+ Year Member
Sucks To say but if i ts not a head gasket or none of the other bullshit if possible of having a cracked block u never kno

93SiHB

5+ Year Member
Would a fluctuating leak as described cause intermittant overheating? My car seems to overheat every 7 - 10 days for some unknown reason. I've bled the cooling system for air and have even done a cooling system flush. I'm worried that it could be a leaky headgasket - any thoughts? Haven't yet ruled out a sometimes working cooling fan yet either...

Thanks in advance

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
same thing happened to my civic...was overheating at idle and the needle would get buried past hot. checked for air in the system, bled it changed thermostat new waterpump and timing belt. still didnt fix it. turned out my fan switch was out and my fan wasnt turning on. you could check it, its on the left side of the motor

KeRRyFaiRy

dori-mingu sumiyaka
5+ Year Member
:???: do NOT spend that much money, mechanics can be AWFUL people, believe me i know im a girl, they always think they can bullshit me and im like ok peace. they will straight up lie about there bieng something wrong with your car thats not even wrong to make money. do you know anyone that works on cars? you should get a honda civic manual. did you ever get your gauge checked?
ive also got a 95 civic, my temp gauge doesnt work either it just sits at the same spot ever since i got it. even tho i know it has gotten a little too hot before. the way you describe it sounds just like my speedometer sometimes, it jumps all over and jerks around. in fact now that i think about it, my temp gauge was all the way at the bottom once for a few min and then popped back up to where it was again once. it was weird. and if your car isint even too hot when it says it is and its all erratic like that its DEF your gauge. I would keep checking under the hood everytime it goes up high even if you have to pull over.

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
93SiHB said:
Would a fluctuating leak as described cause intermittant overheating? My car seems to overheat every 7 - 10 days for some unknown reason. I've bled the cooling system for air and have even done a cooling system flush. I'm worried that it could be a leaky headgasket - any thoughts? Haven't yet ruled out a sometimes working cooling fan yet either...

Thanks in advance
have you figured it out yet bro? i actually havent even touched the car yet. i've been overheating each of my 4 work days... for the past four weeks. the cars still moving like a champ. i'm swapping or buying a new car soon. so i dont even want to f' with it anymore.

KeRRyFaiRy

dori-mingu sumiyaka
5+ Year Member
damn if your car is still moving like a champ it couldnt be too hot! i think its your gauge!