PC Processor upgrading - need help

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
imo your processor is good enough, I would stick with it. With that much ram, a faster processor will not even be noticeable.
the problem with the processor is its compatibility with XP. EVERYTHING makes this s**t crash. i cant play like 3 of the 20 games ive bought in the past year because of problems running it on my machine. i cant pinpoint the problems exactly but all fingers point to the cpu

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RAM only brings you so far. 4GB doesn't give you any extra juice in games over 2GB. The only way it will give you any performance benefit is if you have 100 applications open and then you try and play a game. You haven't actually said what your video card is but if it's anything over an early model 7800 or X850 your CPU is limiting everything.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its a radeon x1600 pro 512mb overclocked a little. the comp came with 2gb of ram, i got the other 2 from work for free when we upgaded our systems (also got 4 17" flat panels and 2 21" CRT's that i sold to the pawn shop 100% profit). so you said what i was assuming, the cpu IS the weakest link, right?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the problem with the processor is its compatibility with XP. EVERYTHING makes this s**t crash. i cant play like 3 of the 20 games ive bought in the past year because of problems running it on my machine. i cant pinpoint the problems exactly but all fingers point to the cpu

sounds like a cooling problem to me. Sounds like you're over heating the processor.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Uh, that's not your processor. Im guessing Cooling issues (Because it's a Dell case).

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Since he's already in the 775 world why switch to AM2? I used to be all about the AMD, in fact I still prefer them over Intel. The problem is that Intel is light years ahead of AMD right now. So he has the ability to JUST buy a new processor (thus upgrading what he has) and being all set. A 4400 X2 isn't all that fast. Before I got my Core 2 I had an Opteron 165 @ 2.8GHz. It was nice but it couldn't handle the 8800GTX I have now. If he wants to upgrade his mobo, stick with Intel since he's already there. Spend a little bit more for better brands and be much faster.
A 4400 is equal to a Intel 4.4GHz, that's what the numbers stand for. If you used to be all about AMD, you would have known this.

Please, provide evidence of Intel being light years ahead of AMD.

With the AMD and ATI merge, Intel is going down the drain.. Now AMD can optimize ATI cards in system with AMD CPUs

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Uh, that's not your processor. Im guessing Cooling issues (Because it's a Dell case).
no i doubt it has anything to do with cooling because the games never even start up. they just lock up the comp at the intro screens. the fact that i have no internet on the comp doesnt help either b/c i cant update drivers or anything

*EDIT*
ok so i got all my info from my comp last night. here's the specs when i bought it:

Dimension E520 Pentium® D Processor 805 with Dual Core Technology (2.66GHz, 533FSB)
Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
Video Cards 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

yea its not great but its what i could afford at the time. since then i upgraded with a 2nd hard drive, x1600 pro 512 vid card, and 2 more ram sticks for 4gb total. so how do i find out if my mobo is built for a larger FSB like 800 or 1066?? i checked the hardware profile in the system setup but it didnt say anything, would it be in the pre-boot menu F12 thing?

Last edited:

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A 4400 is equal to a Intel 4.4GHz, that's what the numbers stand for. If you used to be all about AMD, you would have known this.

Please, provide evidence of Intel being light years ahead of AMD.

With the AMD and ATI merge, Intel is going down the drain.. Now AMD can optimize ATI cards in system with AMD CPUs
Mother of god.... You couldn't be further from the truth right now. That "number" you speak of is AMD's feeble attempt at marketing their processors. Read some reviews, take some computer classes, then come back and tell me that a 4400 is "equal" to a 4.4GHz Intel. My 3.0GHz Core 2 will spank any AMD processor out right now. Also if you think that the AMD and ATI merge has helped, you would also be wrong. Have you taken a look at the early reviews of the R600? If you have then you would notice that the R600 isn't faster than an 8800 which has been out for quite some time now.

Processors:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2963&p=4

The comparisons start towards the bottom of the page and continue for a few pages.

Video Cards:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988&p=19

They compare single and multi-gpu setups.

yea its not great but its what i could afford at the time. since then i upgraded with a 2nd hard drive, x1600 pro 512 vid card, and 2 more ram sticks for 4gb total. so how do i find out if my mobo is built for a larger FSB like 800 or 1066?? i checked the hardware profile in the system setup but it didnt say anything, would it be in the pre-boot menu F12 thing?
Getting back to the question at hand... Dell doesn't usually tell you what motherboard they're actually using. You MIGHT be able to get some info from the BIOS but I doubt it. Really the only way you could find out is if you looked over the motherboard to find a model number and brand somewhere and then check the manufacturers page.

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Getting back to the question at hand... Dell doesn't usually tell you what motherboard they're actually using. You MIGHT be able to get some info from the BIOS but I doubt it. Really the only way you could find out is if you looked over the motherboard to find a model number and brand somewhere and then check the manufacturers page.
That, or he could just use a program like CPU-Z.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow that CPUZ thing is pretty cool, but it doesnt say anything about the bus on the mobo :what:

Last edited:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mother of god.... You couldn't be further from the truth right now. That "number" you speak of is AMD's feeble attempt at marketing their processors. Read some reviews, take some computer classes, then come back and tell me that a 4400 is "equal" to a 4.4GHz Intel. My 3.0GHz Core 2 will spank any AMD processor out right now. Also if you think that the AMD and ATI merge has helped, you would also be wrong. Have you taken a look at the early reviews of the R600? If you have then you would notice that the R600 isn't faster than an 8800 which has been out for quite some time now.
That number, is supposed to stand for what that processor equals to Intels processor.. Read it up, and I have read reviews and information, and right now, AMD is faster then Intel.

All stress tests and comparisons show this.

Your 3Ghz will beat anything? My 1.8Ghz Athlon 64 3500+ is able to beat alot of Intels

Whats your setup score in 3DMark05?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no i doubt it has anything to do with cooling because the games never even start up. they just lock up the comp at the intro screens. the fact that i have no internet on the comp doesnt help either b/c i cant update drivers or anything
It's not the processor, I can tell you that.. Sounds like a memory problem, or possibly a bad powersupply, I'm still guessing cooling..

You need alot of moving through that case to help cool the components down, if you don't have air circulating, then they get hot and overheat and that's where problems start to occur.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That number, is supposed to stand for what that processor equals to Intels processor.. Read it up, and I have read reviews and information, and right now, AMD is faster then Intel.

Your 3Ghz will beat anything? My 1.8Ghz Athlon 64 3500+ is able to beat alot of Intels

you mean my 2X3 GHz CPUs....no they wont beat everything. My 3DMark05 will suck, its a server. No actual physical monitor or keyboard. its all terminal services

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Sure a 4400+ AMD is probably equivalent to the first gen P4 @ 4.4GHz. If you honestly believe AMD is faster than Intel right now, you have a thumb up your ass maybe even two thumbs.

The last time I ran 3DMark05 was when it came out. When I get home I'll run it for you. I think I scored 5000-6000 on 3DMark06 on my old setup.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
can we keep to the topic at hand purdy please??? (i actually forgot the topic on hand but i know it wasnt a processor war)

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
can we keep to the topic at hand purdy please??? (i actually forgot the topic on hand but i know it wasnt a processor war)
If you click on the Mainboard tab what does it show is the brand and model number? Also what does it say for chipset?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you click on the Mainboard tab what does it show is the brand and model number? Also what does it say for chipset?
well as far as doing it on MY comp, i cant, im at work. but ill try it tonight when i get home. the work comp im on now says "hewlett-packard model 09F8h, chipset: intel i945G/GZ" but doesnt say anything about bus speeds

*EDIT*
i guess all i need to do now is find out if my mobo will support me upgrading to a core2duo or if thats pointless