Plz Help: Car Skips When Low On Gas

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
after that, my fuel pump's check valve was faulty and caused my car to run lean.. same symptoms u had said. i just replaced the fuel pump and it was fine (not to mention replaced engine cuz it ran lean)

so, if it does it again, its really easy to change a pump, make sure you use hand tools. the brushes on the drill make sparks and fumes and spark will cause you more problems than anyone can handle.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
No, I havent checked that fuse yet and honestly its only because I forgot. Ill try n get a look at that today. Thank you for reminding me of that.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, I havent checked that fuse yet and honestly its only because I forgot. Ill try n get a look at that today. Thank you for reminding me of that.
Make sure you test it using the method described in the link in RonJ's signature.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Ok so can someone explain how I test the fuse? Its the fourth one in, second row right? If so this fuse is a 10. I havent taken it out yet

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
I checked two fuses next to eachother and neither were blown but i dont know exactly how to test them.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Oh ok, so its pretty much and easier way of doing what I did last night. So the fuse can be Xed off the list. Its still good. Replacing my o2 sensor tomorrow! Cant wait!

RonJ

Banned
You possibly have a bad O2 sensor but, because of the high cost, you should first use a multimeter to verify that the heater element power wire of the O2 sensor plug gets battery voltage with the key in ON(II) and also that the heater element ground wire gets ground from the ECU.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You possibly have a bad O2 sensor but, because of the high cost, you should first use a multimeter to verify that the heater element power wire of the O2 sensor plug gets battery voltage with the key in ON(II) and also that the heater element ground wire gets ground from the ECU.
I believe she already bought the O2 sensor. I guess, of course, she could return it if it's not needed.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Yes, I did already buy the O2 sensor. I am still confused on what you mean RonJ. I could show my boyfriend what you said and see if he understands it better then me lolz. I went to the link that someone had posted but I don't have the tool shown to test my fuses and don't even know what it's called....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, I did already buy the O2 sensor. I am still confused on what you mean RonJ. I could show my boyfriend what you said and see if he understands it better then me lolz. I went to the link that someone had posted but I don't have the tool shown to test my fuses and don't even know what it's called....
The tool is called a test light. It's inexpensive and is available at any auto parts store.

cheeseneck

Already RHD
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well just want to add my story. A friend of mine had the same exact problem. The car would stutter when the fuel ran low. He checked everything but they came out fine. Then he found out that he had some fine sand in the fuel tank. Imagine that!:shock:

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Haha thanx whoopnip, I had no idea there were size requirements for those, ill definetly change that.

Cheeseneck - the bogging problem was fixed by replace the distributor cap n rotor. Now im replacing my o2 sensor (which i just finished doing) in hopes of fixing a low idle issue n to get rid of my CEL. Ill know if it worked soon. :-)

I_am_Iceman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm dealing with a problem kinda like this right now... Anywhere below 3k rpms, I have absolutely NO power and the care kind of stumbles past the 3k mark and then feels fine... I'm planning in replacing the plugs, dizzy cap and rotor asap to try and fix this, but imma pay attention to this thread and see how it turns out for you...

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
No, it has steelies on it, thats what was on it when i got it. Looks arent my first priority, im saving that for next year.

As far as progress, my bad, we replaced the wrong o2 sensor. So we're gonna leave it as is until my exhaust comes in, then while replacing that, were going to check the front o2 sensor for bad wiring n such, if it needs to be replaced we will do it then. Itll probably be another 4 weeks before my exhaust comes in unfortunetly.

RonJ

Banned
I'm dealing with a problem kinda like this right now... Anywhere below 3k rpms, I have absolutely NO power and the care kind of stumbles past the 3k mark and then feels fine... I'm planning in replacing the plugs, dizzy cap and rotor asap to try and fix this, but imma pay attention to this thread and see how it turns out for you...
If you read the entire thread, you will see that the main bogging/misfire problem was fixed by replacing the cap and rotor. The thread has now become focused on fixing an O2 sensor code.