Plz Help: Car Skips When Low On Gas

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can't see my picture :( I put one on, I suppose it's not working right. That sux! I can see it lolz.

SweetEBPSi - Ya it's once my car gets warm it idles right at 500- but I've also noticed it seems to be working harder to stay running which is the part I am nervous about.
If the problem is the O2 sensor, then that should be an easy fix. The rough 500 idle could be from that O2 sensor. So at this point, change it and go from there.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Well I'm currently waiting for the remaining parts for my new exhaust to come in, should I just wait til then and do it all at once? I think it would just be easier.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm currently waiting for the remaining parts for my new exhaust to come in, should I just wait til then and do it all at once? I think it would just be easier.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but usually when the O2 sensor fails, the ECU sends more fuel to make it run rich.

RonJ

Banned
Electrical problem:
1) Check whether 7.5A dash fuse 15 is blown.

Bogging problem:
2) Inspect the distributor cap and rotor contact points and look for any type of damage or corrosion inside the distributor.

3) Read this thread.

4) Post the specific CEL codes that were retrieved. A faulty O2 sensor can cause the engine to run lean or rich. It sounds like your O2 sensor is wired improperly or is the wrong sensor. This problem must be fixed as it could also cause your bogging problem.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
I just wanted to give everyone an update. Car was in the shop all day and of course the many times thwy test drove it, it wouldnt do what i described. They said from the look and feel of things its some kind of line in the tank (the link RonJ left gives a description of what they think is wrong). Ive never messed with a gas tank before n am quite nervous to do so but we're going to attempt it at some point. Also, there error code that was found when scanned was PO135, the front O2 sensor.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Everyone already said everything I was going to say...

I would recommend replacing at least the distributor cap and rotor as you say they've never been done. During the install, check for damage and corrosion, as RonJ said.

Also, consider replacing the plug wires, I don't think anyone's mentioned that... or maybe I just skipped over it.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
So the problem is persisting whether I have a full tank or am empty. When I brought it to the mechanic they didnt check my distributor cap even though I asked them to. So they did say if the problem occured when the tank was full then it "probably wasnt" the line in the fuel tank. They were really no help at all. Im aggravated cuz I feel Im going to chase this problem around and it not be what I think. My plug wires and plugs have been replaced, fuel filter and one fuel injector. My bf asked if I noticed tge problem after any installs and it may have been after the injector was replaced but Im not totally sure. So majority of u say distributor cap, start there?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely replace the O2 sensor. Believe it or not, my car did a strange ass thing when I had a bad O2 sensor. I had NO power until about 3k RPM's. I mean, I had the pedal pinned... and under 3k RPM's you could literally walk past my car. Took a good minute to get up to around 3K RPM's... and at that point, it would run like a champ. I have no idea why this happened.

Replaced the O2 Sensor, problem solved. I know this situation is different than yours, but you never know. It's always good to get rid of your CEL codes first. The CEL indicates a problem somewhere, in which those problems can cause the car to malfunction, and even cause other problems. I'd honestly replace the O2 Sensor before anything else, and get rid of that or any other CEL codes that you have.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the problem is persisting whether I have a full tank or am empty. When I brought it to the mechanic they didnt check my distributor cap even though I asked them to. So they did say if the problem occured when the tank was full then it "probably wasnt" the line in the fuel tank. They were really no help at all. Im aggravated cuz I feel Im going to chase this problem around and it not be what I think. My plug wires and plugs have been replaced, fuel filter and one fuel injector. My bf asked if I noticed tge problem after any installs and it may have been after the injector was replaced but Im not totally sure. So majority of u say distributor cap, start there?
I'm still confused. Have you even tried to fix the MAIN issue for the CEL like everyone has said? I know that several people have said to replace the O2 sensor to get rid of the CEL and then see was happens after that. Your O2 is part of your emissions. When that fails, if can cause s**t not to run right. Maybe I missed that you said you replaced it.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
No i hadnt replaced the O2 sensor yet only because I ordered a full exhaust (headers, cat, and catback) and am waiting for the catback to come in and was "told" to wait n just replace the O2 sensor then because i currently have exhaust leaks n was told my CEL would still stay on until the exhaust was replaced. Im going to advance auto after work today so Ill find out about getting one and will install it as soon as this rain stops. (i dont have a garage so i have to work on her outside unfortunetly) I will keep u all updated once installed and definetly let you know what worked.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Everyone already said everything I was going to say...

I would recommend replacing at least the distributor cap and rotor as you say they've never been done. During the install, check for damage and corrosion, as RonJ said.

Also, consider replacing the plug wires, I don't think anyone's mentioned that... or maybe I just skipped over it.
:word: this is an essential part of a tune-up.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor tody as well as bought the o2 sensor. Will probably replace that this weekend when i have time and help but so far it seems to be running much better. *cross my fingers*

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you still have problems after the cap and rotor, then my money is on the o2 sensor. once you get that replaced get back to us. if your still having problems might be some serious issues. good luck

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Well, so far so good. I took the car out for about an hour and not once did I experience the problem. Im definetly planning on giving it a few days before I cross anything off the list tho. Cross your fingers for me, i hope this solve it. The o2 will be replaced this weekend :-)

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good things! now you know how important a cap and rotor is lol

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Haha very are many things in the civic world I am still new to even tho ive been driving them for 7 years. Im so glad I found this site tho. Everyones been so helpful.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
So its been 3 days since I replaced the distributor cap n rotor n shes been runnin like a champ ever since so, I'd have to say.....problem solved! Thank you all for your advice!! Now Im excited to see if when I replace my O2 sensor this weekebd if it solves my low idling problem. Im so excited, thanks guys!