power window broke

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys i figured i would ask why my window wont go down all of a sudden because all the other threads i found on google didnt have an answer.my window worked fine this saturday but it was a little slow since i bought the car in 2010 but all of a sudden on sunday it wouldnt roll down? i can hear a clicking in my door every now and then like its trying to roll down but its doing it by itself, i also noticed that the window goes up and down by itself about a centimeter in each direction but its barely noticeable. i know how to fix the regulators but its not that so is the motor dead or just not getting enough power to move the weight of the window?how should i go about getting the window down so i can get at the bolts and pull it out and check the motor?

CHYEAHMAYNE

Did it fall off the window track? Try using wd40 on the sides too.

RonJ

Banned
Why don't you think the regulator is bad because that's exactly what it sounds like the problem is?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
because it wont go up or down really and there was no warning, it always rolled all the way up and down since i have owned the car and because i know when i have a bad regulator because i have replaced my drivers side twice in the 2 years i have owned the car. the only way i could see it being bad is if it got bent some how. how do you suggest i get the window out since i cant get to the bolts that hold it on without rolling it down?

RonJ

Banned
Nothing you've said rules out a bad regulator. The clicking you're hearing is almost surely the sound of the window motor gear slipping across worn regulator teeth.

What exact car do you have?

blackcruzer87

I have a solution

i had the same exact thing happen to me. it ended up being that the cable had started to snap and some of the tiny wires were not allowing the cable to move up and down to move the window up and down. i had to replace the entire motor and regulator assembly int the door of my 99 civic lx. i got the part at napa that included a new motor and regulator for just over 100 dollars. took about an hour and a half to do the swap and now the window is much faster than all the other windows.

RonJ

Banned
i had the same exact thing happen to me. it ended up being that the cable had started to snap and some of the tiny wires were not allowing the cable to move up and down to move the window up and down. i had to replace the entire motor and regulator assembly int the door of my 99 civic lx. i got the part at napa that included a new motor and regulator for just over 100 dollars. took about an hour and a half to do the swap and now the window is much faster than all the other windows.
Sedan power windows have a cable system but coupes do not. The OP has not mentioned which one he has.

sedan regulator:

coupe regulator:

blackcruzer87

oh that is true. i just read the post and knew i had gone through the same thing. im sure they arent much different as far as swapping out the regulator and motor inside the door.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a 96 coupe and its not the regulator clicking its the motor doing the clicking and its doing it by itself sometimes without me pressing anything.i put my hand on the motor and feel it trying to move which is where the clicking is coming from im pretty sure.i dont think teeth just disappear from the regulator in a matter of a couple hours.

RonJ

Banned
i have a 96 coupe
In an attempt to remove the window/regulator, remove bolts A and B that secure the regulator to the door. This may allow the window/regulator to drop down and thereby give you access to the two bolts that attach the glass to the regulator.

its not the regulator clicking its the motor doing the clicking and its doing it by itself sometimes without me pressing anything.i put my hand on the motor and feel it trying to move which is where the clicking is coming from im pretty sure..
Are you suggesting that the window motor is receiving voltage even without pressing the switch? If so, unplug the motor connector and test both terminals of the wire harness connector for voltage to body ground. Do these voltage tests both with and without the key turned to ON(II). Post the results.

i dont think teeth just disappear from the regulator in a matter of a couple hours
Are you saying the regulator is brand new and was installed only a couple of hours ago?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok thanks i thought about just unbolting the whole regulator but i dont want to drop the thing and break my glass so i was hoping there was another way but i guess i will have to try that. yes it was moving the window by about a centimeter up and down by itself without pushing any buttons.

no the regulator is not new but its ok from what i can see by looking in the door with my panel off, im saying it was working fine a couple hours ago and the window went up and down with no grinding or clunking noises then next time i drove it it quit working.

Trekk

Registered VIP
What I do when I get a car like yours is beat on the door while I hold the up or down switch. When motor is starting to go it hangs up, and normally beating on the door will break it free for a short time. If it starts working again you know its the motor.

NowTheWorld

RonJ said test the terminals for voltage. before you do anything else, do that. could be a signal going to the terminal when not commanded to do so, which means your switch on either the driver side or the passenger side has bad contacts that are rubbing together or they are dirty and contaminants are passing voltage through

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i dont have a test light or ohm meter thing so i cant really test. im just going to buy a new motor and hope it works and if not then figure out what else is up(need a new motor anyways its annoying how slow this one is/was) heres a video i made just a minute ago you can hear the clicking

NowTheWorld

just go purchase a multimeter. it's a good investment, my dad's had his for like 10 years. they're very useful later on in life for things such as this or rewiring a house and stuff. i work on radar for a living and i use one allll the time

RonJ

Banned
You can buy an adequate digital multimeter from Harbor Freight Tools for $3-$4. If you plan to be a DIY'er, you need one.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok cool well i guess i better buy one and learn to use it. i took out the regulator and its fine but wobbles alot more than my driver side does( at the scissor joint ) but i found out that the motors running continuously so im assuming that its one of my door switches.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so how would i go about testing my window switches?i have looked up how to use a multimeter and how to test power windows but some things i have read say use the continuity setting which my meter doesnt have, or it sayed to use vdc setting to see if the motor is getting + and - 12v dc.