Questions about alarm

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yay or nay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIPER-5901-LC3-CAR-ALARM-REMOTE-START-SYSTEM-2-WAY-NEW-/260747472263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb5c2ad87

I really dont think i need the remote start but ehh id figure why not. Also has anyone installed one of these by themselves?

Also have another question. My buddy has a 54 Chevy Bel and he would like an alarm but i dont think a regular car alarm like this would work on his car seeing as how it doesnt have the electrical stuff the new ones have. Anyone have any suggestions?

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nobody knows about older cars?

xWIREMANx

The 5901 is a nice alarm/rs. Buy it from viper or a retailer. The only way it will have warranty is if you have it installed by a professional that is a retailer of their product. Alarms will work just fine on older cars. Remote starts... Not so much since they are not fuel injected.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd buy from Best Buy or something, they should do free install with purchase of a system... that's worth it IMO.

MugenRR

Banned
yeah ^ what that guy from harold n kumar said. They did my friends Si's, nothing wrong with it, been over a year a bit nothing wrong. Been put to the test, they try to steal it and it worked. Best Buy LEGIT.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is it only 1 year warranty though? Thats all best buy has is one year..i wouldve thought it wouldve had lifetime. Ill have to save up some more i suppose. Best buy with install is like 600 bucks then :/

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lifetime warranty on an alarm? That's new to me...

Alarms work on old cars just the same. Matter of fact they can be easier to install because they don't have all the new crap in the way and the panels are a LOT easier to remove.

Remote start doesn't work so well on them though from my experience because a LOT of them need the gas pedal pumped a few times to fill the carbs as well as to set the choke. Tried to do one on my buddies '69 Chevelle and it would start on it's own. If I pumped the gas a few times then hit the button it would fire up and run fine. It would also work fine if the car was warm. Once it sat for a bit, it wouldn't work again. It would either crank, start, and die or it would simply just crank.

MJcivicEJ8

I say get them..they are great and comes with a good 1 mile range! that's what i have installed on my other car and it works great. Only problem is if you break the 2way pager it'd cost you an extra $90 for it..

Question..which part of CA are you? I know a place where you could get em cheaper bought+installed.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've installed one with a couple friends and I'll never do it again. I've done all my own stereo equipment for 15 years and I'll never do another alarm, especially with an auto start.

Most "lifetime" warranties have something to do with your car getting broken into and a certain amount of coverage. the 1 year is manufactures defects

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oooh alright gotcha...well one year it is then.
I was thinking about doing it myself and just get the tech sheet and some diy's maybe but i guess thats not the way to go :oops:

Im located about 20 min from Merced. Close to Turlock. About 40 min from Modesto.

MJcivicEJ8

Oooh alright gotcha...well one year it is then.
I was thinking about doing it myself and just get the tech sheet and some diy's maybe but i guess thats not the way to go :oops:

Im located about 20 min from Merced. Close to Turlock. About 40 min from Modesto.
ohh ok. nvm then..you're too far :D