Reference: Multipoint Harness Safety(please read if you have aftermarket belts)

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No arguing needs to be involved. It's fact, 100% fact that harnesses should be attached to a cage, fairly high up, which is why companies like Autopower and Cusco make drop in, bolt up cages that are made for that specifically, which is what I am doing.

When people mount their harness straight down to where the rear seats should be, that's wrong.

I'm doing them straight back into the AutoPower cage I'm getting because that's how its done.

Also, when racing, generally, they are meant to be secure in COMFORTABLE locations where your body can shift, stay firmly in place while racing and not suffer injury.

I rode in a autocross Miata on Sunday, and his harness is a perfect example.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i'm pretty sure a roof can't support a car half rolling and going roof first into a tree, telephone pole, etc... :what:

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well I went out an looked at my cage and it is an autopower bolt in cage. http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

Its a nice cage, and for DD i keep the front half out and use it as a 4 point. This is beacuse if I do hit something my head will split like a mellon without a helmet even with the padding. Thats another thing you have to think about, a cage might be safer but its also a new hazard

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
off topic...but by far one of the most useful threads ever. sticky so it doesn't get lost, maybe?

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Indeed. I thought about the fullcage that goes overhead, but for right now I'm doing this one.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hatch_Of_Doom said:
Indeed. I thought about the fullcage that goes overhead, but for right now I'm doing this one.

thats about what mine looks like withount the front half...I will take some pics tomorrow of the mounting

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AutoPower drop ins like that that mount to shock towers and maybe 2 others spots are generally 300-400.

The one that has 6 points (shock towers, all 4 seat mounts) is like 800. That one goes down your sides and in front and what not.

I just want something for harness mounting and looks, because I'm a ricer like that.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hatch_Of_Doom said:
AutoPower drop ins like that that mount to shock towers and maybe 2 others spots are generally 300-400.

The one that has 6 points (shock towers, all 4 seat mounts) is like 800. That one goes down your sides and in front and what not.

I just want something for harness mounting and looks, because I'm a ricer like that.
haha :lol: seems like a nice pick-up to me

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Indeed. My plans for interior === that cage, rear strut tower bars (eM racing x-bar package), remove tint, Recaro seat for driver, Takata harness, maybe a 6g Civic or Teggy seat for passenger with stock 3 point, and call it a day.

I've got my JDM cluster ordered, Mugen shift knob ordered, Mugen pedals ordered, might get JDM climate control, got JDM clock, got ITR boot, JDM OE console, etc.

It'll look good.

I'm a ricer, I just want people behind/next/ around me in traffic to look through windows and see a racing harness and bars and think my car rules. LOL.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hatch_Of_Doom said:
I'm a ricer, I just want people behind/next/ around me in traffic to look through windows and see a racing harness and bars and think my car rules. LOL.
Ha ha....around here if you rock a cage and dont run 11's you get clowned.

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha sounds like a decent plan to me :thumbs up

you may be a ricer...but not one of those douchebag-lookin-car drivin ones

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo95eg6 said:
huh, noone aound here asks me for my time when they see the cage and now the bottle. they just assume i am fast enough =)

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo95eg6 said:
I would assume so, because the scene out there is much more evolved than here. I don't plan on making my car a drag car at all, I mainly want it for harness mount to autocross. So people can laugh all they want that its not quick, they can trail behind me in the twisties.

We have a big interchange of 2 highways and the interstate near downtown, and a Corvette was following me the other day, trying to get me to play. We both took a ramp from about 4 stories up on the highway merging onto the interstate, and I held steady at 110 mph, f**king stupid and illegal yes, but it was fun.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you will also notice a huge differance in handling after the cage is in there, it makes the car stiff as hell...I love it

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For some reason autocross is non existent around here...so I couldnt tell you whats all needed to do that stuff...is it required to have a cage...?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo95eg6 said:
For some reason autocross is non existent around here...so I couldnt tell you whats all needed to do that stuff...is it required to have a cage...?
it depends on your class...for most cars no, but when you start building the engine past basic bolt ons, yes you do. Check out the rules as SCCA.org

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo95eg6 said:
It's an added bonus. The drop in cage will stiffen the chassis, look good, provide proper harness mounting, and generally do more good than bad.

Around here, you dont get laughed at if you have a cage and dont run 11's, you get laughed at for owning an Import, period.

Our only local 1/4 mile track is like 30 minutes away, in a tiny farmer town, and there's always obligatory rednecks in Camaros and b/s that will be like "LOL a 4 banger lOLOLOLO" and you could run 12's and they still don't care.

Eh, take it all with a grain of salt though.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
There are two reasons for these stipulations. First, seatbelts by design are intended to stretch in an impact. This allows your body to slow down gradually in a collision. Too much material between the mounting point can cause an excessive amount of slack after they stretch, allowing your body to escape from the belts. When belts are mounted to the rear seat area of the vehicle, the large amount of material between the mount point and the driver can suffer from this problem. This could allow the body to come into contact with interior parts of the car, like the steering wheel or dash board, or even dislodge completely from the belt.
fyi... every set of aftermarket belts ive ever come in contact with dont stretch... but besides that the info is pretty accurate.. im going to move this to interior since it does not belong in the lounge... 8)

agreed about the autopower bar.. thats what i have and i love it..

Last edited:

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GREAT info....................

and OC, have you been in ACCIDENTS with these belts you say dont stretch? I believe thats what hes reffering to in his post.... ALL belts are made to stretch. Ive seen it, from stock belts, to aftermarket. They all stretch in moderate-severe accidents. (thats why collision places ALWAYS replace the belts =) )