Reliable JDM engine supplier

Castleman

Dear Readers:

I own a 2006 Civic Coupe, I was "screwed" on the purchase... An Arizona car with the oddometer rolled back app. 100k miles and the infamous cracked engine block. Carfax from now on, needless to say. Now I'm searching for a jdm engine (R18A and manual transmission). I have "cold feet" on purchasing one, because I found a forum posting from 2012 that says "There are only about 2 suppliers supplying actual JDM engines in the US, the rest are marketing high mileage engines pulled from US junkyards using the "guise" of JDM. What is the truth on engine suppliers, today? The engine replacement looks like a pain in the ass, I plan on putting it on an engine stand first to replace some accessory components, do valve clearance and timing chain replacement.

Thanks, C

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why are you set on getting a "JDM" engine?
Just get one from a reputable salvage yard, there are plenty out there.

96-el-x

8th gen Civic? I'd burn it if it were legal to do so and didn't harm the environment. Look, Honda admitted they failed badly with the R18 and extended the warranty 10 years on these 8th gens.

They should have recalled the "chassis" and the "interior" for being major fails in my opinion. Anyway, by late 2009, Honda sorted things out with this engine. I've driven one and they are peppy grocery getters that lay some muscle and fuel efficiency on the stock D series from years past.

I'm guessing you've fallen for the JDM scam. The myth of low mileage and a better engine. Think rust and ragged crap and mo'money to get them good. I'd steer clear of JDM and get USDM.

If you go salvage in the form of 'you get it yourself' try to get an idea of the motor by going over the car itself. Check for paperwork etc. Common advice is to not buy an engine without seeing it. Many people do though - a total gamble.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can get a good replacement motor from a salvage yard that pulls it themselves and usually will come with a warranty, you may want to research locally for something like this.

I'm guessing you've fallen for the JDM scam. The myth of low mileage and a better engine.
For Christ sake, the whole shtick is old....
Just because the motor is JDM, doesn't mean it's a myth, just source it from a reliable source, such as h motors.
Stop being a Debbie Downer whine ass.

96-el-x

For Christ sake, the whole shtick is old....
Just because the motor is JDM, doesn't mean it's a myth, just source it from a reliable source, such as h motors.
Stop being a Debbie Downer whine ass.

Hi Mr Baker. I hear you. I'm going by the advice from a 20+ year plus mechanic who passed it on to me. He and a buddy thought about opening their own "JDM Business" in the early days of motor-swap-hysteria until he saw the merchandise first hand. He decided a career move from mechanic to junk salesman was not his thing. Two points here: First, basically anyone in Japan can load a shipping container full of stuff from a junkyard. Second, there's not much difference between junkyards anywhere but you stand a better chance sourcing a domestic motor. Caveat emptor. Buyer beware always applies. So if some JDM huckster gives you a good running, warrantied mill then by all means go for it - even if the salesman worships Satan.

Castleman was already reamed by an greasy swindler. We have to help the bro' defend himself from that kind of automotive harassment.

There are plenty of cracked R18A's out there, everybody knows this. Sometimes they don't crack until a modest 100K or so has passed by but that means any potential buyer needs to be even more aware of the problem - especially if he's goin' motor shopping. It turns out that Honda did change a casting method - undoubtedly a cheaper manufacturing process - and that splendid corporate move has been linked to the cracking blocks.

A good approach for Castleman here is to get a VIN. This can be difficult at a junkyard and with some JDM outfits who the hell knows? Get the VIN from the source of his possible donor motor. Use that to establish the year and do-not-buy if it's from the "crack" era.