Rims Suggestions?

Adrian Peterson

5+ Year Member
The only problem with RB wheels is that 1. they buy cracked and very severely damaged wheels for dirt cheap, and try to fix them before selling them. That's why they offer refinishing services. I have had numerous people come to me about buying wheels from RB that didn't balance correctly due to warping or a bend in the middle of the barrel. and 2. They probably won't be selling wheels in the near future, but that's just he say she say for now =)

ryanM

The only problem with RB wheels is that 1. they buy cracked and very severely damaged wheels for dirt cheap, and try to fix them before selling them. That's why they offer refinishing services. I have had numerous people come to me about buying wheels from RB that didn't balance correctly due to warping or a bend in the middle of the barrel. and 2. They probably won't be selling wheels in the near future, but that's just he say she say for now =)
idk ive talked to the people who work there and they seem pretty legit.

ive only bought one set of wheels from them and they were just as described. it seems like they are pretty good about letting you know if one of the wheels is damaged or not. i have not heard any complaints from others ordering wheels from them.

Adrian Peterson

5+ Year Member
idk ive talked to the people who work there and they seem pretty legit.

ive only bought one set of wheels from them and they were just as described. it seems like they are pretty good about letting you know if one of the wheels is damaged or not. i have not heard any complaints from others ordering wheels from them.
That's cool, I don't think talking to an employee of the shop is really going to get you a good feel for anything other than their own biased view. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from them, but I think my argument(s) are valid considering I've dealt with them on over 15 sets of wheels and have had a few wheels refinished there before. The quality of their work leaves more to be desired, especially considering the price. I guess I'm the only one who would rather pay more knowing that my wheels have more than a 50/50 chance at balancing straight, and that my wheels weren't destroyed before.

9 out of 10 of their mult pc wheels do not even have original barrels and lips. They are all aftermarket, with the faces being the only original part. That information is enough to keep me away from there.

Kennykid2002

5+ Year Member
Well, first of all, i would like to thank everyone for their quick and insightful input.
but i've pretty much got my heart set on a white set of rota grids
i heard, rotas have a bad rep, but hey, i've got an automatic, not like im drag racing anytime soon/at all (esp with like 127HP :roll:)

but i still have 3 questions
1. How do I determine if i need 4x100 or 4x108
2. Drop car before or after rims?
3. Approx how much is a 1.5~2 inch drop (not self install, springs + labor)

Thanks again guys.

I think one of the biggest reasons people buy Volks is because of that anodized bronze finish. No one has been able to replicate it and to this day that bronze is one of the best selling colors, ever.
I have a set of 18" RE-30 in that bronze, and have owned both CE28s and TE37s in that bronze. I wouldn't trade that (plus the additional weight savings, overall strength of a forged wheel, etc) for Rotas if my life depended on it.

Of course if you don't care for the color, weight, and everything else associated with the costs of purchasing "authentic" wheels over the replicas, then go for it. Talk to JLB Motorsports they have the best deals on Rotas (with or without tires) hands down.
Nope, i dont even like bronze, no offense, but to me, bronze is like polished turd color
and thanks for JLB motor thing, they have a great extensive website packed full of good/affordable rims :lol:

The wheel you posted is a Forged Magnesium TE-37 costing about $6000 for the set. They were only available in two sizes in the US: 18X8.5 and 18X10 I believe.
Yea......i dont think i'll ever get rims that cost half my car ;)

You don't have to spend $1000+ dollars to get legit wheels.
:word:
this is true

rb motoring sells jdm wheels all day long for great prices, and they get new shipments in all the time, and shipping is very reasonable. i bought my advans from them.

www.rbwheels.com
The selection on that website is so crap, sorry to say

i bought my rotas from wheeldude.com. prices includes shipping. I didnt pay for shipping cuz i picked them up haha.
Expensive; doesn't have grids

Adrian Peterson

5+ Year Member
1. How do I determine if i need 4x100 or 4x108
2. Drop car before or after rims?
3. Approx how much is a 1.5~2 inch drop (not self install, springs + labor)
I guess I can just try to answer the questions in the order you asked..

1. Your lug pattern is 4*100.
2. I would drop the car after rims; you don't need the wheel gap being accentuated by having flashy wheels over your silver hubcaps. That's just personal opinion, of course.
3. Springs + labor should be something around $250-300 depending on who you go to. You figure on average, you're paying $50-70 per hour in labor. Springs should be about an hour, two if they are milking the clock.

:cool:

Adrian Peterson

5+ Year Member
BTW if you are looking into 15" wheels there is a company by the name of SSK that makes a real good replica of the TE37. They addressed the lug hole issue, and they are now off set from the valve stem location.

If you message "SSKWHEELS" on AIM he will he able to help you further. They are $260 for a set of FOUR!

Kennykid2002

5+ Year Member
i just took a look at the ssk site, they only have the replica in a bronze finish

but thanks for the help anyways
is there any difference between regular drop springs and coilovers?

Adrian Peterson

5+ Year Member
i just took a look at the ssk site, they only have the replica in a bronze finish

but thanks for the help anyways
is there any difference between regular drop springs and coilovers?
Springs are meant to simply lower the car, and they are used with your stock shocks. I do not recommend this method at all, because that adds strain to your shocks and they will blow very quickly.

If I were you I would go with the ground control coilovers and the koni shock combo, very cheap and very reliable.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ok my bad i thought you wanted your car to look good.
His car will look good with TE-37's or Grids.

Your car will look good with some grids bro. White would look real good if you lowered your car 2.5-3".\

I have a friend with the exact same car as yours but hes dumped on FnF coilovers and red 15" GT3's. His car looks pretty sick. Its stock too!

Kennykid2002

5+ Year Member
Springs are meant to simply lower the car, and they are used with your stock shocks. I do not recommend this method at all, because that adds strain to your shocks and they will blow very quickly.

If I were you I would go with the ground control coilovers and the koni shock combo, very cheap and very reliable.
Well, its for street use only, not for racing

iuno, ill think about it after i get rims