Ron's Site Suggestions

RonJ

Banned
This has been corrected. The DIY How-To main section has been brought back to avoid confusion and the Official DIY badge now links to all Official DIY's :thumbs up
Thanks Justin. At the DIY button at the top, only the last three links in the pull down menu work for me.

I get this message for all others:

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Thanks Ron. Can you test it again? The permissions seemed to have been messed up.

RonJ

Banned
I really like the Unanswered Topics feature but, as Joey pointed out at its inception, it is cluttered with some irrelevant threads and even some locked ones. Is there a way to clean up the output of this feature?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Unfortunately I don't have much flexibility with that. All I can really do is exclude forums to show them from and the other options from the search page.

RonJ

Banned
Why is JohnS a moderator?

This post concerns moderator JohnS. In at least two separate threads, he has stated unambiguously that his philosophy as a moderator is to allow member trolling and to condone member flaming, even in tech sections. The rationale for his philosophy is that the internet should not be taken seriously so such behavior is tolerated. He's humored by any thinking otherwise. Is this a moderator style that is acceptable or fits here? What's the point of having a moderator who refuses to moderate the site? In essence, he is just a regular member -- and a fine regular member at that. But, in my opinion, he makes no contribution to moderation of the site and should be replaced with a member who will. How can the tech sections EVER improve if you have a moderator who condones and ignores member bashing and, in some instances, also participates in this activity? He's derelict in his moderator duties.

RonJ

Banned
Bad thread titles in tech forums

I'll take another shot at trying to get the CC staff to participate in solving the bad thread title problem in tech sections.

It would really help if moderators would post a message in threads that have poor thread titles and also change the titles. I often post messages but they are largely ignored, which I understand because the OP is probably saying who the hell is this guy.

Let me again explain why bad thread titles reduce the effectiveness of tech forums:

1) A bad thread title can fail to attract members knowledgeable about the tech problem and leads to the OP not getting an answer or getting an answer more slowly. Why would a knowledgeable member take the time to open a thread if the OP won't even take the time to summarize the tech problem/question in the title?

2) When members with a related problem search for relevant threads where a solution may be found, which is what you want members to do, it is MUCH easier to find such threads with answers if they have informative titles. When one searches and comes up with a bunch of threads entitled "help" or "need help immediately", it ends up being no help at all.

STAFF - please help solve this problem. Please participate in improving the tech sections.

RonJ

Banned
Tech forums: Add message summarizing rules

If you click on the Off Topic forum or a thread within the Off Topic forum, you will see the following message displayed:

Off Topic * Sit back discuss and debate various off topic material. * No fighting, name calling, arguing, etc. will be tolerated please keep the discussion civil * Please read all stuck threads
The message is actually duplicated on this page:

I would like to propose that a corresponding message also be displayed in all technical forums and all technical threads. Here's my idea for a draft version of this message:

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions. Thread Makers -- Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic. Responding Members -- Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem. All Members -- Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

RonJ

Banned
Has anyone else noticed the large influx of trolls, bots, spammers or whatever they're called lately? They are new members recognizable by their creation of a rapid string of non-sense posts in threads. The posts generally duplicate text from another post in the thread.

Can the spam software be modified to recognize these new members and move they're posts to a moderated thread forum for review by moderators so that they don't appear in the public forum?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Unfortunately spam is hard to catch without catching regular members as well. We have a few spam preventatives on here when registering but they seem to find a way around them.

RonJ

Banned
Unfortunately spam is hard to catch without catching regular members as well. We have a few spam preventatives on here when registering but they seem to find a way around them.
Is it safe to say that there's no reprieve on the horizon for elimination or reduction in the constant troll/spammer barrages? Darn.

I was hoping you'd also comment on the proposed message for display in tech forums I posted earlier. Any chance for this becoming implemented? I think it could help get those messages out, which would contribute to improving the tech forums.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Is it safe to say that there's no reprieve on the horizon for elimination or reduction in the constant troll/spammer barrages? Darn.

I was hoping you'd also comment on the proposed message for display in tech forums I posted earlier. Any chance for this becoming implemented? I think it could help get those messages out, which would contribute to improving the tech forums.
You could say that about the spammers. Sometimes some new modifications come up that do help some.

Sorry, missed that other post you made. I think it looks good and I'll see if there is way to show this at the top of the tech forums. Thanks Rob :thumbs up