XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's something we really can't enforce that members have weak thread titles and forget information. We have a set of rules that are now in place thanks to OC, which replaces the old guidelines that we have.

I wouldn't mind having a thread or sticky in the New To The Site area with a "READ ME FIRST" thing that has forum etiquette on it though... don't know how well it would work, but we can try... lol

I noticed you have mentioned to a lot members to make more useful thread titles in the future, etc.. I'm willing to help with this as well. Will bring up in the mod lounge.

RonJ

Banned
That's something we really can't enforce that members have weak thread titles and forget information.
Moderators should politely educate new members and reinforce these important points by posting comments in threads and by changing titles in conjunction with an education effort. Once mods become regularly and visibly involved in the effort, you will see members quickly respond.

I noticed you have mentioned to a lot members to make more useful thread titles in the future, etc.. I'm willing to help with this as well. Will bring up in the mod lounge.
Thanks. The more mods who become involved in this effort and understand its importance, the more rapidly positive changes will come about in the tech sections.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Moderators should politely educate new members and reinforce these important points by posting comments in threads and by changing titles in conjunction with an education effort. Once mods become regularly and visibly involved in the effort, you will see members quickly respond.

Thanks. The more mods who become involved in this effort and understand its importance, the more rapidly positive changes will come about in the tech sections.
I agree that we should post a polite note and edit the title.. I agreed with you in the mod lounge and the staff is currently discussing it.. but I DO agree with you completely..

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I may not be a MOD, but I will make an effort to Help others by advising good ways to re-phrase questions/statements/Info, in the ways that I can. I agree with Ron, half the time we spend is trying to break down the puzzle before we can put it together.

RonJ

Banned
I agree that we should post a polite note and edit the title.. I agreed with you in the mod lounge and the staff is currently discussing it.. but I DO agree with you completely..
Thanks Anthony. I wonder whether the staff could also discuss a similar effort to prompt new members to use the Garage feature so that tech helpers less frequently need to ask about this crucial information. I already do this now, but having mods help out would again facilitate this tech improvement.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks Anthony. I wonder whether the staff could also discuss a similar effort to prompt new members to use the Garage feature so that tech helpers less frequently need to ask about this crucial information. I already do this now, but having mods help out would again facilitate this tech improvement.
I think that since we adjusted the rules to be far simpler.. maybe we should make a site guidelines section.. explain why things are good...

"put lots of information about the problem in detail in the title"
not
"because we say so"
but instead
"because it will help you get answers faster"

maybe people missed out on some of the good helpful info in the past because it was buried in the cumbersome site rules..

RonJ

Banned
I think that since we adjusted the rules to be far simpler.. maybe we should make a site guidelines section.. explain why things are good...

"put lots of information about the problem in detail in the title"
not
"because we say so"
but instead
"because it will help you get answers faster"

maybe people missed out on some of the good helpful info in the past because it was buried in the cumbersome site rules..
I agree. Your new and improved simplified site rules are real progress. And as you say, requests for informative titles and car information in tech threads will be better received when members are educated to understand how these guidelines assist both those who seek help and those who wish to help.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree. Your new and improved simplified site rules are real progress. And as you say, requests for informative titles and car information in tech threads will be better received when members are educated to understand how these guidelines assist both those who seek help and those who wish to help.
i will try to put together a short list of posting tips.. not even guidelines.. with quick to the point tips that maybe will help all involved.... feel free to PM me any suggestions.. maybe if they are short people will read them.. lol

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe wrote the final layout.. it was nice because all the parts of it really came from each of us.. which was nice.. not knocking previous staff... different time.. different goals.. but those old rules I just wrote.. and at the time they really needed to be like that because we had SO much BS drama.. they had to really micro manage the site.. unfortunately I had not recognized the fact that the site has changed a lot from them.. we now have staff that has the time and the interest to build something that reflects all views... it is obviously way better that way.. and honestly it takes a significant burden off of my shoulders to feel that I always have to do everything.. I feel for the most part the staff gets along now.. and is likely in a grove to actually change some s**t around.. hopefully to everyones benefit i will continue to entertain any input you have...and anyone elses input for that matter..

RonJ

Banned
i will try to put together a short list of posting tips.. not even guidelines.. with quick to the point tips that maybe will help all involved.... feel free to PM me any suggestions.. maybe if they are short people will read them.. lol
PM sent with draft for Tech Posting Tips.

RonJ

Banned
I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem. Starting yesterday, I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications of new posts in subscribed threads.

RonJ

Banned
^This problem is now gone. Was something changed?

Now I am having a problem where the Civic Forums page won't load or loads very slowly when I first try to visit the CC site. Anyone having a similar problem?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I'm having server problems since Sunday afternoon. The email is fixed but the server load isn't consistent and keeps spiking. I'm still working on the problem.

RonJ

Banned
Thread titles in tech sections

informative thread titles in tech sections help get members' questions answered (more and better answers)

Members, especially new ones, OFTEN create completely uninformative thread titles that fail to give any hint to browsing members about the tech issue. It would be EXTREMELY helpful if the staff could come up with a non-annoying strategy to get more members to create informative thread titles. This might simply be educational. In addition, when I was a mod here, I went so far as to edit some titles myself. Maybe the current mods would also consider such an effort.
What are the staff's current plans for getting members to create more informative thread titles...? ...At this point, I seem to be the only one pushing members for this crucial information.
I wonder whether the staff could also discuss a similar effort to prompt new members to use the Garage feature so that tech helpers less frequently need to ask about this crucial information...having mods help out would again facilitate this tech improvement.
Bad thread titles continue to be a HUGE problem in the Technical and New Member forums, so I'm bumping this thread to bring this issue back to the forefront.

Here are my three suggestions for solving this debilitating problem:

1) CC needs at least one moderator whose SOLE responsibility is to manage the tech forums.

2) These "Tech Moderators" should regularly educate members on the importance of creating thread titles that summarize the technical problem/question.

3) These "Tech Moderators" should also edit bad tech thread titles created by new members while simultaneously posting an educational comment about the importance of good titles for tech threads.

RonJ

Banned
Forum specific comments

Here are some forum specific comments:

New Members - Excellent
Forum Rules are short and to the point. Maybe a little text editing could help to improve clarity and brevity. New to the Site section draws much interest. This would be a great place to mention the importance of creating good thread titles, providing car information, and taking advantage of the important Garage feature.

Site Information - Excellent but some items seem out of place
Why is Product News here. Isn't the Marketplace a better fit?
Why is the Site Raffle here. Isn't it a better fit for Club Civic?

Honda Civic Generations Tech - Excellent but non-tech threads should be moved out promptly and bad titles should be reduced

Honda Civic Technical - Excellent but some sections are relative ghost towns
Maybe rarely used EFI Tuning should be combined with Forced Induction.
Why is locked General Tech even visible to the public? What's the point?

Marketplace - Excellent
I've suggested that a new subforum be added here. This idea was PM'd to Joey.

Multimedia - Excellent but maybe should be integrated into Club Civic
This general concept seems to fall under the Club Civic umbrella and perhaps should be moved there.
The Builds and Projects subforum, which represent technical endeavors, is a much better fit for the Honda Civic Technical forum.

Club Civic - Outstanding (the strongest and most popular forum at CC)
But isn't the Street/Track subforum a better fit for Multimedia?

Regional forums - fine

RonJ

Banned
Idea for new Marketplace subforum

As mentioned above, I also think a new subforum should be added to the Marketplace.

This subforum could be dedicated to members asking opinions on the value/cost of a car that they own or wish to purchase, a car part that they own or wish to purchase, or a car service that they seek. I believe this new subforum would interest many members and would also nicely compliment the current Marketplace subforums.

(By the way, Joey wasn't too fond of this particular idea)

RonJ

Banned
For Joey =)

(By the way, Joey wasn't too fond of this particular idea)
;)Here's a tech thread I saw today Joey:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=209926

Now here is my 1st question: How much should a good rebuild cost with professional machining and how long should it take. The machinist told me the high end could be $2000 for labor. I also was convinced to get some CP Forged pistons instead of putting in the NPR cast pistons I already bought. In for a penny, in for a pound, eh? These will likely add another $600 at least.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bad thread titles continue to be a HUGE problem in the Technical and New Member forums, so I'm bumping this thread to bring this issue back to the forefront.

Here are my three suggestions for solving this debilitating problem:

1) CC needs at least one moderator whose SOLE responsibility is to manage the tech forums.

2) These "Tech Moderators" should regularly educate members on the importance of creating thread titles that summarize the technical problem/question.

3) These "Tech Moderators" should also edit bad tech thread titles created by new members while simultaneously posting an educational comment about the importance of good titles for tech threads.
I vote you.