Runnning rich

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by spooned209, Oct 19, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. spooned209

spooned209 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

ok guys my fuel is running rich and i cant figure out why i checked my injectors i swapped out my plugs wires cap and rotor and still cant figure it out any other suggestions and no my CEL isnt on so my cat i know is fine

2. Blood_Shot

Blood_Shot Banned Registered VIP

if you feed your cat and take it to the vet regularly it should be fine

how do you know youre running rich?

3. spooned209

my buddy said i was cause i have black dots all over my bumber from when i shift my exhaust pops and i thought it was just to much back pressure and i have my header comein in this week

4. spooned209

also when i accel hard i smell gas

5. Blood_Shot

Blood_Shot Banned Registered VIP

have you done any maintenance, check your plugs or anything? CELs (does your light work)? Bad o2 sensor?

if your car modified in any way?

6. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

What mods do you have?

7. spooned209

just aftermarket catback exhaust and a kragen air filter on my stock intake pipe thats all yea the CEL works ive done the full changing in plugs wires cap and rotor like 2-3 weeks ago next step i guess to try is o2 sensor

8. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

What exhaust and how big is the exhaust piping? You shouldn't be running anything bigger than 2.5" on N/A applications. Are you running a hi-flow cat by chance?

If your gas mileage is down the tubes too, it could[/b] be an o2 sensor. Though if you don't have a CEL, it may not be likely although a possibility.

9. Cobl18

Cobl18 New Member Registered VIP

shouldn't there be a cel code if the car is running rich?

10. reichbc

reichbc "Brandon"

Should be. Normally the o2 sensors pick it up and report a running-rich CEL.

Reset your ECU. Let the car rebuild its basemaps and it should correct itself.

Changing out hardware isn't going to solve a running rich issue. Too much fuel is a tuning issue.

11. Cobl18

Cobl18 New Member Registered VIP

That's what i thought.

12. Trekk

Trekk New Member Registered VIP

Check the fuel pressure regulator also.

13. roadie114

roadie114 New Member

I have the exact same setup as you, and I have Flashpro installed with the stock tuned basemap (MAP). I get the black spots on my muffler, but not on the bumper at all. My AFM is right where it should be at 14.7 at idle, and around 12.7-13.4 under WOT. If you're only going by the spots on the bumper or are concerned you may want to get it checked, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much. I have a cheap aftermarket catback with an added resonator, and a K&N drop in filter too.

14. spooned209

How do i reset my ecu im not mechanically inclined i can do some stuff but not alot and ill try the ecu reset first then get o2 sensor my piping is 2.5 with 4" out if i hook my si muffler to it would that help allso my headers i purchased are 2" outlet wich i havent installed yet

15. TigBitties

TigBitties Frame Bangin Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

i have the same problem. running rich, i can blow black clouds when i step on it. ive been trying to figure it out also, but no luck

16. reichbc

reichbc "Brandon"

1SIK, this one's for you, too.

To reset your ECU, there are a couple methods based on the different year of cars out there.

Use the user's manual to locate the fuse that the ECU runs through, and pull it for 5 minutes.

Disconnect both battery terminals for 5 minutes. If you have a sound system with a capacitor, disconnect that as well.

Personally, I just pull off the kick panel and pull all the plugs off of the ECU itself.

Keep in mind that after an ECU reset, it has to rebuild the basemaps and that will take a little bit of driving. 2 or 3 days of daily driving should do it, and i'm not talking a trip to the cornerstore a day. =) Most mechanics recommend 40-60 city miles.

Good luck!

17. TigBitties

already did that lol

18. reichbc

reichbc "Brandon"

Then you sir have a different problem. Lol. I'm not going to try to make guesses on an area I'm not majorly experienced in, so I wish you the best of luck figuring it out. =)

19. TigBitties

lol i know i do, i got a problem somewhere. not worried about it, i still get 36-40mpg

20. tekfoc

tekfoc New Member 5+ Year Member

Exhaust manifold is most likely cracked .
    Remove heat shield look around oxygen sensor area of manifold for cracks .
    Cracks will cause oxy sensor to read to high dew to cracks on manifold.