Setting b16 distributor

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
First, I have searched and have not found a concrete thread explaining how to set the distributor on a stock b16a2. Everything I find talks about advancing or retarding timing, but I just want it back to zero.

The issue is this: I replaced my distributor recently and put it back at the exact rotation that the old one came off, the bolts are about right in the middle of the slots. I also know that my timing belt marks are perfect.

The engine is not running terrible, it just doesn't seem smooth throughout the powerband and vtec doesn't always engage.

Any advice is appreciated!

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
So the timing light should flash every time the red mark comes around to the pointer? How can I be sure its accurate?

RonJ

Banned
So the timing light should flash every time the red mark comes around to the pointer? How can I be sure its accurate?
Why would you question your timing light? It connects to the #1 spark plug wire for a reason.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Why would you question your timing light? It connects to the #1 spark plug wire for a reason.
Haha I didn't mean the timing light itself, I meant me being the judge of whether or not it was on time at the crank because it moves so fast. I'll try it tomorrow and get back with you. Thanks.

RonJ

Banned
Haha I didn't mean the timing light itself, I meant me being the judge of whether or not it was on time at the crank because it moves so fast. I'll try it tomorrow and get back with you. Thanks.
The timing light is a strobe light. It only flashes light when the engine is at 16-degrees before TDC1, so it appears as if the crank pulley is not moving. Just make sure you use the pointer on the lower timing belt cover like a gun sight to see whether the red mark is properly positioned.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Oh ok thats the key I was looking for. I didn't know the light only strobed at 16 degrees. That clears alot up.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Thanks alot Ron I got it with no problems. I set it to the middle tick mark, which is the 16 mark correct? It ran better and I'm alot happier with it. Oh and btw the timing was way off on the crank, it was pretty retarded.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Thanks alot Ron I got it with no problems. I set it to the middle tick mark, which is the 16 mark correct? It ran better and I'm alot happier with it. Oh and btw the timing was way off on the crank, it was pretty retarded.
lol I just read this again. Didn't realize the retarded had two meanings there...;)