So I tested a P&P HID kit

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm already committed to HIDs (group buy) but was wondering how much of a difference I'll see...I'm just got Philip Xtreme +80 right now
I have the Philip XTP's as well. I wanted to see how much better P&P HID's were over them. Philips are better. If there wasn't so much scatter / glare, HID's would be better.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have the Philip XTP's as well. I wanted to see how much better P&P HID's were over them. Philips are better. If there wasn't so much scatter / glare, HID's would be better.
I think somethings wrong with your headlights and/or HID's...cause that glare is awful :shock:

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think somethings wrong with your headlights and/or HID's...cause that glare is awful :shock:
I've seen the same glare on several different cars.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like others have said, it's probably just the headlights, the way the reflectors are designed. Nothings wrong with my car. I've seen just as bad glare / scatter on an 05 WRX. Worse than mine actually.

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So I picked up p&p HIDs from that last group buy and yes I am having trouble with glare, saw previously that it was a common problem but I bought em anyway. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fabricate a custom casper shield without modifying the H4 to D2R shield from casper electronics...I've seen alot of write ups on finished ones but they all look pretty complicated.

If I put a metal shield under the bulb to reflect only in the top half of my headlight, will the metal increase the temp of the bulb enough to harm it?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i finally have pics of my car's light output. I'll throw them in here today.

No, a casper shield won't do anything in terms of adamaging the bulb or throwing heat. Just, make anything to reflect the light onto the top half of the headlight.

Bheims

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i finally have pics of my car's light output. I'll throw them in here today.

No, a casper shield won't do anything in terms of adamaging the bulb or throwing heat. Just, make anything to reflect the light onto the top half of the headlight.
Good to know, I rigged up some pop can shields yesterday (they look very amateur) but they work pretty well for a first try. I still scatter light on top though so I belive I will need to cap off the front of the bulb as well. May give a turkey baster a try...

http://www.suvlights.com/information.php?info_id=32

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If the turkey baster is plastic, I think it might melt.... just a heads up on that.

Bheims

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If the turkey baster is plastic, I think it might melt.... just a heads up on that.
Yeh I was worried about that, I know they make some dishwasher safe, high-temp ones but they may be difficult to cut. I'm probably going to need to walk around Home Dept or something and keep my eyes open...

AllanR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I picked up p&p HIDs from that last group buy and yes I am having trouble with glare, saw previously that it was a common problem but I bought em anyway. Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fabricate a custom casper shield without modifying the H4 to D2R shield from casper electronics...I've seen alot of write ups on finished ones but they all look pretty complicated.

If I put a metal shield under the bulb to reflect only in the top half of my headlight, will the metal increase the temp of the bulb enough to harm it?
Do you have any pictures?

Bheims

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Do you have any pictures?
I will post some tonight, the shields that I rigged up are pretty ghetto but they did eliminate some of the glare. I'll work on another prototype later today when I get home. I believe the part I did wrong on my "casper shields" was that I didn't cover the tip of the bulb...

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I will post some tonight, the shields that I rigged up are pretty ghetto but they did eliminate some of the glare. I'll work on another prototype later today when I get home. I believe the part I did wrong on my "casper shields" was that I didn't cover the tip of the bulb...
Wait, did you kit come with the bare bulbs w/o any type of shield?

Bheims

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yup should they have come with a shield?? That would've been reallly really nice, did you get a set last group buy?

Bheims

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Did anyone get casper shields on the last HID group buy??

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't have a kit from the group buy, but a lot of eBay kits have the shields. How much did the groupbuy kit cost you?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You would expect that from a good kit. Damn, I'm sad. :(

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here's my pics...finally:

Lows:

Hi's:

There is glare, but at the angle it goes at, it misses other drives eyes and I consider them to be more like "squirrel finders"

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dang so much better than mine. I'm still using them because I'm too damn lazy to put my Philips XTP's back in :lol:. Plus the HID bling look is cool. I think my philips are better though just because the light is aimed so much better.