someone please help me with downshifting.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
i seen people rev to 7 and 8 rpm's and it sounds like their not even reving high or stressing the motor.its somthing to look into i guess.i can rev to 7 or 8 but at 5 it sounds like the motor mite blow.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
I have a b18c1, so I can rev to 8k safely lol

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess I drive like a grandpa because my car never see's anything about 4k rpm's 90 percent of the time. :lol:

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I guess I drive like a grandpa because my car never see's anything about 4k rpm's 90 percent of the time. :lol:
Unless I'm doing a spirited drive I'm the same way. Probably because I'm a broke college kid though lol

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I must need a new exhaust with headers cuz i rev high at 4-5rpm's like im at redline or somthing.so 2nd goes to 40mph or 65 if i hold it out to 5 rpm but then it sounds like its close to redlining.maybe exhaust or manifold or somthing.its a y7 but hell it can pick up fast if you need it to.plus i gotta cracked exhaust mani maybe that plays a roll.

WTF does that have to do with the transmission gearing? :roll:

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When I had my gsr I would rev match 50% of the time and when I did all I needed was a light tap of the gas in between hitting the clutch.

Rest of the time was for engine braking. Just letting off the clutch slower and letting the revs come up. Don't just drop the clutch.

Just practice and don't do the 4th to 2nd anymore. It's so much better for the car to just goto 3rd then goto 2nd if you need to.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well my car isnt stock. i have a 95 d15b vtec mated with y8 intake mani and exhaust header with a 12 lb flywheel and pretty much all bolt ons and tuned ecu. I can reach 80 in a really short 3rd gear pull.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
I heard some people say their acceleration in rpm's went up when they got rid of that factory exhaust manifold with the cat built on that it was restricting very badly.idk if thats true or not but i do know a cracked manifold or holes in a exhaust decrease speed but my speed has been ok its just loud and,eating my gas.but maybe its the tranny .i shouldnt complain i just drove and it did good.i just got to 4 rpm's and im fine.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
I heard some people say their acceleration in rpm's went up when they got rid of that factory exhaust manifold with the cat built on that it was restricting very badly.idk if thats true or not but i do know a cracked manifold or holes in a exhaust decrease speed but my speed has been ok its just loud and,eating my gas.but maybe its the tranny .i shouldnt complain i just drove and it did good.i just got to 4 rpm's and im fine.

Please sell your car and buy a bmx bike

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude, just don't downshift. You're terrible at it. Coast to a stop, throw it in neutral, profit.

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
im never,selling my Car and im never buying a bike im fine.im gonna buy another faster Car and a pick up truck and low ride it..

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This whole thread is a fail. It's like asking someone to help you tie your shoes. Shifting is retarded easy whether it's up or down.

ej8_st

Lol. Yeah that's not saying much man, no offense.

Essentially, downshift one gear below what you're at. Nothing more. If you go from 4th to 2nd, you're likely going to cause more damage than good.
well it's saying enough and it's true.

more hate than help. this is not forums are for.

Last edited by a moderator:

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Practice makes perfect.

There's your bit of helpful advice instead of some hate.