Starting build

brockshields38

Hey guys so I’m currently putting my 2018 FC2 through some build stages. Looking to get some feedback on what kind of mods makes these K20C2’s a little more peppy, without stripping the whole block down per se, I’m new to Honda, I’m coming from a diesel pickup truck that’s as old as I am to a brand new jdm. Any tips or tricks that may help me with my jump to this jdm world are greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96-el-x

First off JDM usually refers to Japanese Domestic Market so unless you are posting from Matsuyama you probably don't mean you have a JDM tenth generation. What's not to like about a K20C2 from the factory? My personal wish is that Honda corporate would see the wisdom in providing a 300K mile warranty. They would sell like hotcakes and probably put Honda out of business.

I wouldn't attempt to build a better motor than Honda unless Dad is really rich and/or big money can be burned. Better in this case means "more power". Better in the non-racing world usually means considerations for longer service life, efficiency, noise and so on.

You sound like a young hot rodder. I would go "economy class" for the speed thrill if money is tight: $400 to inject nitrous. Laughing gas is the punchline but it's no joke - some people do install this quick hit of speed. A dramatic fictional depiction of nitrous is in the Road Warror film, 1981. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Maybe you'll decide to get a supercharger?

Humungus has a six wheeled truck of some kind, loudspeakers, roll bar and vertical metal racks up front to strap his victims to - terrorizing them when he's haulin' ass. The rig looks like something from the apocalypse and it has a surprise. You guessed it - N20 - rocket like acceleration!

Last edited:

brockshields38

I appreciate the idea! However nitrous is not something that I’m interested in. “Yay I got 5 seconds of double my base hp” I’m not a drag racer, I’m simply looking to enhance the already cheeky mould that Honda has given us,Suspension, and powertrain. A blue bottle is also cough cough frowned upon by enforcement here up north. I’m not looking to be one of those hooligans hitting the rev limiter on every shift.

brockshields38

There’s no such thing as economy class when we’re talking about “BUILDING” a car. Don’t assume you know your audience. I’m here because I don’t know what things are key to squeezing the juice out of one of these N/A 2.0L iVtec motors as I mentioned above I am coming from a turbo diesel pick up truck background. Not Japanese gasser

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, definitely don't put nitrous on your car... lol

Though tbh, the K20C2 is an economy motor, and that's really what it's designed to do. Regardless of the route you choose in terms of a build, you won't get an significant power gains from that motor without forced induction. A header, intake, exhaust, and K Pro might get you some power.

Check out this link -- a good quality tune on stock car netted 22 extra WHP, which is actually pretty good.

brockshields38

Yes I had seen this k tuner! Something I’m definitely going to consider. I’m not looking to make this a race car. I know this motor is built to be a daily commuters engine and I don’t intend to take away the basic being of that. But we all know that there’s more in an engine than what the manufacturers let them be or are capable of producing at that time

brockshields38

Any brands recommended for intake and exhaust? I won’t be doing an exhaust right away until I’ve sourced a few and hear how they actually sound

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Intake - I'm not too sure it matters. It's just tubing. Get a good filter. As for an exhaust, it really depends on your sound preference and size you want. I have an Invidia N1 on my RSX, it's loud when the engine is cold, and in high RPM bands (Vtec crossover is very noticeable), but not that loud when just idling or driving around.

96-el-x

There’s no such thing as economy class when we’re talking about “BUILDING” a car. Don’t assume you know your audience. I’m here because I don’t know what things are key to squeezing the juice out of one of these N/A 2.0L iVtec motors as I mentioned above I am coming from a turbo diesel pick up truck background. Not Japanese gasser

I hear that. My original suggestion was going to be swap the motor into an older 6th Gen Civic Sedan but that's crazy talk. No one in their right mind would go there. However the older civics are more mature as far as "BUILDING" them goes. And they are lighter which cannot be stressed enough as a key to performance. Lots of experience in the world with the old school models. The import scene was in full rage back in the 90s - itself an extension of the modification phenomena that goes all the way back to the 40s and post war 50s - in California in particular - but also across the country. All of this modification activity has dramatically increased in cost which is why there is much less of it than before.

Keep in mind also that the newer cars are less modification friendly. They contain more sophisticated planned obsolescence - best way to describe it - the manufacturers are harnessing information to focus on profitability because they can probably see an eventual doomsday - they have to get people to buy them and the relationship doesn't end there.

For the older model Civics you have books, internet postings, youtube videos dedicated to swaps, brakes, suspension, hillbilly mechanic down the street - you name it - knowledge holdovers from many who have gone in before and got out before it was too late.

My issue with the later gens starts with the suspension, their heft and the wings on the back of some of the models. They also remind me of that awful Accord Crosstour nightmare with that strange, rounded ass profile. A horrible looking car in my opinion. Not saying the civic looks as bad, but there are some similarities. Things look cramped and plastic covered under the hood - more wires and sensors too. However, the motor appears to be well done aside from complaints that it isn't "fast enough."

I haven't done any research online but I bet some power is to be had with programming for the engine system without building anything - the power might mostly be up top - but it's more power. Adding a different pipe and/or exhaust just seems boring but obviously some power is to be had there. I can't speak for everyone or anyone at all other than myself - perhaps getting a cool looking stainless steel mono-pipe-thing is a total thrill for people. If that's the case, RV6 and then k-tuner to abrubtly lighten the wallet. (I'd rip out the struts and fabricate double-wishbone just to "get even" with evil Honda but that's me not you.)

Ultimately you could "start your own HPD racing team" or wave around some money to order a crate K20C1 right from the Honda plant and bolt that thing in there. If 300+ factory approved horsepower doesn't do it I don't know what will. "Game over man!" as Bill Huxton said.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sad as it is to say, I would go here:
https://www.civicx.com/

They will have more first hand experience than here.
This place is mainly filled with 6th gen and earlier models, which were lighter, easier to modify and pull power from, and have a greater following than the newer stuff.

Last edited:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I probably wouldn't modify it.

If you're Honda faithful and want a more receptive platform get a 6 speed 1.5T Civic.

You can make some pretty significant power with bolt ons and Hondata FlashPro.

As far as I know, Honda doesn't have a method for flagging an ecu so you would likely be safe warranty wise with an exhaust and flash tuner.

Just flash back to stock when visiting for more extensive service/ warranty requests.

I would avoid KTuner simply based on a very poor customer service inquiry about a product.