Stock '93 DX Hatch needs a little more umph...CLUELESS

J Z06

5+ Year Member
My '93 hatch has been a great little car to me.
I'm the second owner...the first one was an older fellow who'd kept impeccable maintenance records. I've owned it since 12.27.06 and had to do the cat back exhaust 2x, timing belt/water pump/radiator/distributor thus far. It has 108k on it.

This car has the stock engine...whatever code it is..? My issue is, at times, I am going uphill and boy it does not like going up hills. Lugs and has little torque to pull the car up. I'd like to get around that. I don't intend to race the car and of course would still like to get good fuel economy...which with this car, I've never gotten such mileage!

Probably would rather a higher torque rated engine than hp, lower revs. What's the least expensive complete swap?

Thanks in advance!

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
it has 108k on the motor. I know thats still way good for a honda. Try rebuilding/freshion the motor up. You know rod and main bearing rings gaskets ect. You also can try rebuliding the head to, new valvs valve spings ect.

J Z06

5+ Year Member
Thanks! would a D15b be a worthy swap? I'm looking to keep this low cost.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D16Z6 SOHC Vtec, plugs right in, dirt cheap.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And there's no such thing as a d or b series with more torque than hp, other than the crv 2.0. Not a cheap swap at all for you.

paulx022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b20b's are so pretty cheap.. ^^ but yeah id say freshen that motor up put a cold air intake, cam gears, throttle body, header.

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah sounds like you need a B20 swap. Great torque (for a Honda), and would get higher rated than normal gas mileage in your hatch. I think PasswordJDM still does the $599 shipped on them and if your swapping it yourself, shouldn't be too costly.

slwrthnu

Car Ramrod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go with a H series! I had a jdm blue top h23 vtec in my old hatch.. talk about fast haha

J Z06

5+ Year Member
Thanks....still deciding.

A friend of a friend owns a shop and a kid has a D16 that He took out for a K-20. The D16 only makes like 120 hp so He says...mine is at 100. And He wanted 2k installed! YUH, I was born at night but not last night! 20 hp for 2k? I reeeally don't think so!

Appreciate the replies. 140+hp or so is what I'd like to have under the hood. I'm easily satisfied with this.

stookin

u dont need a rebuild do a compression test and if the numbers are high that will tell you right there wether u need one or not.... and according to ur first post with the old man and maintenance records, that motor is probably as strong the day it came off the showroom floor

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well if your looking for 140 hp u could get that with a B18b1 swap. they run about 140hp & 130tq so thats i nice lil boost over your stock engine. Only thing is it'll still cost you a pretty penny if your not planning on doing it yourself with all the mounts and stuff. Anyway give us a little hint on your budget but yeah i'd say B18b1 is what your looking for. That comes out of a 94+ Integra LS/GS by the way

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you aint gonna get power for cheap.

Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Pick two and you wont have the third.

id say put a z6 in with new headgasket, timing belt, water pump, etc just to freshen up a "new" engine going in. a z6 will be plenty of power for a hatch.

J Z06

5+ Year Member
It's looking like the B18B1 is going in =)
I might have a lead on a complete swap. Will keep you posted and thank you again for your ideas and suggestions. 140 hp is more than enough for me.

The engine probably is as strong as it was when it was owned by the little old man. It just laughs when a hill comes. ;) I'm at 345 miles now and have more than a 1/4 of a tank. I am not sure the B18 will do what this motor does on gas mileage. Lots of people don't believe me :D

J Z06

5+ Year Member
BTW, how quickly would the car run the 1/4 with the new motor? It's stock otherwise...

J Z06

5+ Year Member
Thanks, it's better than what it can do now! couldn't do 15's or 16's with a hurricane pushing it down hill LOL

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah and if you just slap the basic bolt ons i/h/e maybe a 2 1/4 catback or something you'd/ be doing even better

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah and if you just slap the basic bolt ons i/h/e maybe a 2 1/4 catback or something you'd/ be doing even better
orrr save that money and put a small turbo kit on with 4-6 psi. more bang for the buck. and with it being obd1 you can have the p28 ecu chipped for easier tuning. n/a will cost you more in the long run. a stock b18 will easily handle up to 6 psi which will give you wayy more power than a simple intake and header

J Z06

5+ Year Member
Thanks guys! for now I'll simply enjoy the new power. It'll be night and day compared to how it was. The swap should be complete by Thursday at the latest(pending no snags come my way). LOL, after next week I'll have 550rwhp in my z06 but I'm just as excited as my civic is getting done.

I'm having a paxton done to my z06. Intercooled blower kit with a conservative tune it should make 550rwhp. =) It's going to be a good Christmas LOL! Maybe I'll boost 'lil blue in the summertime.

J Z06

5+ Year Member
:D Looks like it'll receive a header and a cold air intake :D should be good for a few extra ponies. I'm stoked!!