Strut mounts with Tein coilovers

Alonsotl05

Respected
Hey guys so I bought a set of coilovers and I didn't realize I had to use my oem tophat from my oem struts. When I tried removing them the bolts they were seized and the whole strut was turning as I tried loosening the bolts. My question is, if anyone's using tein street advanced coilovers would an aftermarket extended top hat work just as well as oem? For example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311703806302

I appreciate any responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have Tein Street Advance coilovers on my RSX. Try using an impact wrench? If it's still spinning, get a LOT of duct tape, wrap it around the strut body many, many times, and use a vice grip to hold it in place. The tape is there so that the vice grips don't damage the strut body, as damage to it may cause it to leak.

To answer your question about extended top hats though, I am not sure.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I personally would not trust those generic unbranded tophats. If you spent good money on Teins then spend good money on a branded tophat set... IF you are forced to cut the current ones to remove them. Drench the nuts in PB blaster or a strong lubricate then use an impact driver in both the tightening and loosening directions to break loose the friction hold. You may even need to heat them lightly.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Those generic top hats are hit or miss, some are made of cheap aluminum and the studs rip off/through