"The Mothership" - 1998 Civic - Maintenance Log

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yesterday I reinstalled the windshield wipers. I still haven't painted the arms but it was raining :lol: So time's up. The plastic trim that goes over the wiper motor got dunked in Armorall since it was starting to fade.

A friend rode in my car a few years ago and said "Man, your accelerator pedal is all messed up!" I checked it out and it seemed fine, so I didn't think anything of it. Recently though I've started to notice more apparent "stiction" where the pressure to press the pedal will fluctuate as the cable sticks, frees, and sticks again. That results in the engine load being just barely bumpy, but it is noticeable. So I took the cable and sprayed some cleaner through it. The tape I used didn't work out well, a lot of the oil just forced its way back out and got everywhere.

Now the accelerator is butter smooth! It's a small change, but it makes a big difference.

Johnp410

Yesterday I reinstalled the windshield wipers. I still haven't painted the arms but it was raining :lol: So time's up. The plastic trim that goes over the wiper motor got dunked in Armorall since it was starting to fade.

View attachment 30670

A friend rode in my car a few years ago and said "Man, your accelerator pedal is all messed up!" I checked it out and it seemed fine, so I didn't think anything of it. Recently though I've started to notice more apparent "stiction" where the pressure to press the pedal will fluctuate as the cable sticks, frees, and sticks again. That results in the engine load being just barely bumpy, but it is noticeable. So I took the cable and sprayed some cleaner through it. The tape I used didn't work out well, a lot of the oil just forced its way back out and got everywhere.
View attachment 30671

Now the accelerator is butter smooth! It's a small change, but it makes a big difference.
Man small things make the biggest difference. Lol

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man small things make the biggest difference. Lol
The whole accelerator cable thing has got me thinking: I wish I could drive a snapshot of this car as it was new back in 1998. Then I could clearly see just how it's changed over the past two decades.

Last night a friend helped me get the replacement passenger window motor installed. The original assembly's central axis pivot was damaged and loose, which was causing the crazy rattling. I'm not sure when that happened but it must have been something like a person leaning on the halfway-lowered window.

I didn't have a great time replacing the driver side window motor way back in 2013. So it wasn't very surprising when the passenger motor assembly arrived damaged and I had to nearly break my wrist pulling on the lower sled to free the little plastic sliders that were jammed. Oh well. In any event the passenger side window now lowers without sounding like it's about to break :thumbs up

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Clearing the headlight housings today. I need to just bite the bullet and buy new ones...

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think I forgot to write about it here, but a week ago or so I jacked up the rear wheels and took the wheels + drums off to take a look at the brake components. The car had been jerking and creaking as I braked recently, and I wanted to see what's up.

Nothing looked out of the ordinary, though I did notice that one of the drums just fell off in my hand and the other needed some "persuasion" to be removed. At the suggestion of my friend I wound up taking a little piece of 400 grit sandpaper and gently buffing the brake shoes, and then buttoning it all back up. To my surprise the brakes have been behaving a lot better since then! They still pulse a little, but not as much and the noise is gone. Now I wonder if it was the sandpaper or just re-centering the drums that did it....

Anyway, I'd like to get rid of all of the pulsing if I can, and I think one of the next steps is to start replacing the 25 year old suspension components. It's time. But I don't know what I'm doing yet, what should go first? What brand and type of parts do I want? A lot of the information online is geared toward ricing, but I want to build my car for a comfortable ride, not some cambered out and slammed one. On top of that, I have a decent discount at OReilly's auto parts, so I'm looking around at what components they can order me.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I gave up hunting around for the perfect shocks to buy, and went with some KYBs that advertised close-to-original performance from the auto shop. I ordered Strut-Plus - which come pre-assembled with springs - for the front, and Excel-G - which are just struts - for the rear.

Christmas came early!

The Excel-G boxes were opened, and it looked like someone has returned them previously. The threads didn't have any wear though, so I assumed they just didn't fit their car and got sent back.

Old and new:

I installed the front two struts and went for a test drive. The car rides straight lines noticeably better, but nothing magical. I had heard that KYBs were harder than OEM, so it was a relief to find that potholes are soaked up a little more than my originals. But where these really shine is turning. I would say "cornering" except I'm a scrub and drive like your grandmother. Even so, taking a 90 degree turn at 5-10 miles an hour handles way, way better now and the car feels much more competent.

All in all it took me about four hours and zero air tools to swap these in. I wish I'd done it years ago.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Went back out to change the rear struts today, and immediately broke a bolt:

Tomorrow a friend might be able to loan me a welder to tack a new nut onto the bolt.