"The Mothership" - 1998 Civic - Maintenance Log

M Perrenoud

Restore It!
5+ Year Member
Great information!
And fixed for under 50 bucks, now that makes me feel good for ya!
Honda Mike
Aka EF ddy

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A couple updates from the past few weeks:

Last week of January:
  • Found that the coolant was rusty :(
    • Flushed the radiator with water and ran the car (~3 times). The last flush was mostly clean water.
    • Found that the radiator cap was broken with the relief valve missing.
    • Replaced the radiator cap and filled the radiator with concentrated coolant to make a proper mix.
  • For a nice gentle test drive I drove to Atlanta for a wedding the next day. No issues.
Two days ago (Wednesday) I left my keys locked in my car at work... and the car running. It probably sat idling for about 6 hours total before my parents came to the rescue with a spare key.

The brakes still pulse, so yesterday my roommate helped me pull the front brake rotors and turn them on a brake lathe. No more pulsing while braking! At least for now...

And this weekend I'm planning on changing the oil simply due to the whole "left running all day" thing.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Changed the oil Saturday at odometer 355,000.
3.5 Qt high-mileage Valvoline synthetic mix and new Bosch Premium 3312 filter.

Sunday I noticed coolant leaking out of the upper radiator hose, so that got replaced.

The car's been doing great lately. I actually suspect heat soaking with with the idiotic 5-hour idle session may have freed up some rings? Cleaned out some carbon? Polished some bearings? Warped the freaking longblock? The engine just feels a little more responsive :what:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Monday I noticed that my tripmeter wasn't ... metering. I bumped the reset button a few times and then it resumed faithfully ticking away the mileage.

At the fill-up today I wrote down the trip meter and compared it to the odometer:
Trip meter402
Odometer355526
Previous odometer355115
Difference in odometer355526 - 355115 = 411

They don't match. 8km sounds about right for the driving I did before noticing that the meter was still at 0. So my odometer is likely still working even though the trip meter is bugging out.

I also want to see if leaving the engine idling had an obvious affect on MPG, since I do have that data and don't really have compression test data to compare. Below are a couple of samples of KMPG before, and the first datapoint afterwards.
Before: 53.3, 49.9, 52.9, 58.4
Tank where car was left idling for ~5 hours: 45.5
After: 57.2

Looks like there wasn't any immediately obvious damage, at least from this metric.

Last edited: