Thoughts on gauges

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trying to put all the last little pieces together on the mustang. I've basically figured out what i want to do with the gauges, i just need a little input.

I'm doing an innovative wideband with a square display that's going to be sitting on the steering column. Should be able to mount it almost all the way back towards the gauge cluster.

Then i'm going to put three gauges in the cd slot (either where the Alpine sits now or the lower cd slot). I'm looking at going with oil pressure, oil temp, and transmission temp for the three gauges. With the wideband i don't really need fuel pressure (any fuel pressure issues will show up on the wideband). Boost issues will be handled by the boost controller in the center compartment.

I originally wanted to go with the Defi BF gauges, but i can't get them to fit into that space. The only other gauges (that i'm aware of) that will fit, look decent, and have all 3 of the gauges i need are the Autometer Phantom 2's and the Autometer ultra-lite 2's. I'm not sure i really like either. The phantom ii's look good at night, but the outlined numbers during the day bug me. The ultralight 2's have a weird red led circle around the gauges at night that bugs me.

Thoughts, other ideas?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any thoughts on the Autometer Nexus gauges? They don't really hold a candle to the Defi's, but they'd fit.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would go with something besides autometer, but that's just because I've gotten so many of them in the past. It really depends on what your budget it.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would go with something besides autometer, but that's just because I've gotten so many of them in the past. It really depends on what your budget it.
Budget isn't the issue. I'll spend the money, short of major custom dash work.

The issue is finding a matching set of 52mm(2 1/16") gauges. I need oil pressure, oil temp, and transmission temp. Needs to look good too. You also have to keep in mind that i'm trying to go for a nice clean look (sleeperish). No a pillar gauges and they can't be seen from the front of the car (nothing on top of the dash).

edit - I guess transmission temp isn't 100% necessary, but it would be nice. I could always go fuel pressure instead. But i have a feeling the transmission is going to be the weak link, so tranny temp would be nice.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
defi all the way dude
I can't fit a 60mm gauge in a single DIN slot. Otherwise i'd be all over the Defi BF gauges.

The blue racer stuff is too ricerish for me. Not nearly as clean and simple as the BF line of gauges.

ryanM

i do not recommend autometer to anyone.

defi's are offered in 52 and 60mm in most models, as far as i know.

idk how JDM tight you want your mustang to be, but greddy, blitz, and omori also have good gauges.

or if you want a simpler, more stock look, there is always VDO

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
in my opinion plx devices has the best gauges in the world, hd screen and can have up to 32 sensors on 1 gauges..im not a fan of gauges but im also a tuner and i understand things like a wideband/egt/boost/KR gauges are something that one should have...and after learning about plx devices i recommend them to everyone, they are pricey but well worth it IMO

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i do not recommend autometer to anyone.

defi's are offered in 52 and 60mm in most models, as far as i know.

idk how JDM tight you want your mustang to be, but greddy, blitz, and omori also have good gauges.

or if you want a simpler, more stock look, there is always VDO
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/bf/bf_type.html

They do offer both the 52mm and 60mm gauges, just not in the BF type gauge. Really, the only defi gauge i'm interested in. The other gauges, especially the racer style look too ricer for me.

Checked out the Greddy, Blitz and Omori gauges. While i have no problem converting from SI to imperial units, i'd rather not have to do that while glancing down at my gauges at 100mph. I've got other things on my mind =)

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
With your dash setup, your going to need an A Pillar.

Another way you could go if you really wanted to, is a CarPC. LCD Screen that could go in your dash that'd display stuff you want.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With your dash setup, your going to need an A Pillar.

Another way you could go if you really wanted to, is a CarPC. LCD Screen that could go in your dash that'd display stuff you want.
Looking into it. along with the pcx stuff.

:werd:

I've already had 3 of their boost gauges f**king break on me. :thumbdown
The only problem i've had with autometer was with an old EGT gauge. Dial would just freak out randomly and swing everywhere. They sent me a new probe, but that didn't fix the problem. Suspected the gauge. Got rid of it when i sold my turbo.

ryanM

A pillar displays SUCK. all they do is get in the way,

i recommend just using standard mounts.brackets and mounting on top of the dash in the center

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A pillar displays SUCK. all they do is get in the way,

i recommend just using standard mounts.brackets and mounting on top of the dash in the center
I never had a problem with my A Pillar gauges getting in the way?

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not to mention they dont even 0 out when your not using them :lol:
oh no s**t! That's when I know they are broken. When the needle rests below 0 it won't display the full correct psi at max boost. :thumbdown

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What's that under neath the deck? CD player?

If you don't use that often, you can take that out and put the gauges there...