Tokyo's Build Is Slower Than Yours

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Went to Pick-A-Part this past weekend and picked up a few things. Also got one of the gnarliest sun burns I've had in a long time (didn't expect to be out there as long as I was). I ended up finding my OEM side skirt (passenger side), a full sized spare that was in surprisingly good shape (tire and wheel), some misc. bolts and nuts, and a reservoir cap for my clutch reservoir.
We also picked up a timing light, and timed it properly (sucker is dead on now). While were at it, I went ahead and did a full valve job again, since the last time, I didn't gap them quite right (we went with .008 on intake, and .010 on exhaust to give it some room to flex. Not a good idea lol). I noticed my head is pretty damned charred, so I'll be doing an engine flush and switching to full synthetic when I do my next oil change. I pulled the spark plugs, and found out they are absolutely shot (completely charred on the ends). Those were replaced with NGK Platinums, gapped to spec. The car is also blowing a bit of smoke at high RPM's, so I'm assuming my piston rings are bad. A B series is looking more and more tempting... Here's what the head looks like right now:

Pretty burnt!!

While I was at it, I decided to paint my cam cover, and put that back on (dip stick has been flopping all over the place, I was afraid it was going to smack the cam and get caught up in there. That would have been bad...)
Pics:

Cam cover, after cleaning the hell out of it:

Applying primer after scuffing it a bit:

And painted, flat black. I forgot to take a shot of it on the car. I'll get a bay shot next update:

As of now, the car is running crazy good. It's near silent after we adjusted the valves properly. It's kind of scary actually.. with the timing correct, and the valves done properly, the car has a really smooth power band. It feels like a new car. I still need to adjust my idle via idle adjustment screw, and paint my windshield wipers. After that, I'll be picking up a new AC compressor and blower kit, replacing my axles/clutch/flywheel/rear main seal, then moving on to the big stuff: headlights, grille, fogs, lip, exhaust, suspension, wheels, and maybe a swap somewhere in there (dependent on whether I pick up another car as a daily).

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Heck yeah dood! That's what I'm talking bout', DO WORK! Man this thing is gonna be awesome in no time!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
"....paint the windshield wipers...."

+ 1 brazillion for me too!!!! Mine are all sorts of nasty lookn'. I hate it.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"....paint the windshield wipers...."

+ 1 brazillion for me too!!!! Mine are all sorts of nasty lookn'. I hate it.
:lol: yeah they're getting a nice scuffing/primering/coat of flat black. They're pretty thrashed!

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
While were at it, I went ahead and did a full valve job again, since the last time, I didn't gap them quite right (we went with .008 on intake, and .010 on exhaust to give it some room to flex. Not a good idea lol).
that sounds within spec, but you think it wasn't a good idea? With it running so good, did you set the lash towards the tighter or looser end of the spec?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that sounds within spec, but you think it wasn't a good idea? With it running so good, did you set the lash towards the tighter or looser end of the spec?
Ended up setting the lash dead on, on both exhaust and intake. We had originally set it in between the recommended lash settings (between .007 and .009 for intake, and .009 and .011 for exhaust), and it ran like s**t. Once lash was set to factory settings (.007 and .009 I believe), it made a massive difference. A week later, car is running exactly as it should be, and fuel mileage has gotten a bit better.

Painted my wiper blade arms flat black. To anyone wanting to do this, I'd recommend throwing a coat of semi-gloss clear over it to seal them. They get chipped super easy. I'll likely have to re-paint them, and clear them, when I replace my blades again. Seriously, any little nick or ding scuffs the s**t out of the paint (and this is with a solid coat of primer, and three coats of flat black!).

May be picking up an AC compressor, blower, and clutch assembly. Before I make the order, going to test my AC compressor to ensure it's shot, and that it's not just the blower that has taken a dump. After that, axles will be ordered, then Yonaka exhaust, new O2 sensor, new cat, and I'll leave it alone for a little bit.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm living my civic maintenance through your posts LOL... I haven't done a THING at all this year. Well, to a Civic anyway (Still have a garage full of turbo parts for my z6 orange hatch build). Worked on one of my Preludes last weekend I guess..

Now that I rethink that, I did do a carbon duck bill and lip on my white hatch but I don't really consider that doing anything of substance. Not like what you're doing here. Nicely done man!

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm living my civic maintenance through your posts LOL... I haven't done a THING at all this year. Well, to a Civic anyway (Still have a garage full of turbo parts for my z6 orange hatch build). Worked on one of my Preludes last weekend I guess..

Now that I rethink that, I did do a carbon duck bill and lip on my white hatch but I don't really consider that doing anything of substance. Not like what you're doing here. Nicely done man!
Thanks man! I appreciate it!
Get that sucker boosted! :thumbs up

I just want this car clean and reliable. It's going to be my commuter workhorse, so I'm going to make it comfortable, clean, and reliable. A friend of mine just bought a stupid clean GSR DC2, and is already talking about selling it to me for $3500. Original motor and trans, matching vins, clean title, 140k original miles. It has bronze TE-37's on it already, too (but I don't think he'll part with those :lol:). If I end up with that, it will be my car that I sink a lot of money into.. tucked bay, tucked radiator, built + boost. I want a 450whp 91 octane street beast that's all sleeper mode, and I have a garage I can store this in. He's still partial to sell it, but I'm working on him lol.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
$3500 is a STEAL! I sold my 92 teg with a built LSV and rattle can paint job for like 4500 or something this winter... Got any pics?

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$3500 is a STEAL! I sold my 92 teg with a built LSV and rattle can paint job for like 4500 or something this winter... Got any pics?
Holy s**t lol. Yeah, he's only selling it that cheap to me because he has another car, and bought that off a friend for like $2700 (it needed some TLC.. he pulled a few dents, buffed the paint, replaced headlights and corner lights, and threw the TE37's on).

I'd get the teg for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can convince him to sell it, I will absolutely pick it up.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's my favorite Integra color.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did some more work this past weekend! Woo!

My AC has been giving me issues (actually, it just up and quit about 6 months back), and I've been meaning to get it taken care of, but other things have come up, and the lack of hot weather put it low on my list of priorities.
Since the weather is in the high 90's now, and summer is here, I had to get it taken care of.

Basically, my AC had been working when I bought the car about 2 years back. It worked for almost a year, then stopped working (it started blowing hot out of the blue one day). We checked r134a levels, and it was completely dry. Upon refilling, my AC worked for about 2 and a half weeks. As it began failing, my car would shake VIOLENTLY when I ran the AC, and it would blow luke-warm (almost muggy). I knew at this point, that the compressor was shot.
My brother-in-law (who has been helping me tackle all of the stuff I'm not comfortable with, like electrical, the AC system, suspension etc.), was insistent that the compressor was good, and I was out of freon. I bought $50 worth of r134a (24oz), and refilled it. My AC kind of worked, but the compressor was making terrible noises, and putting massive amounts of strain on the motor. I would drive, and it would lug BAD. Then, the compressor started making the car shake horribly, again. In the end, I was right. Compressor was bad.
First step: New AC compressor! Ordered, and here.

Ain't she a beaut!? :lol:

Next, was vacuuming out the system properly to remove any moisture:

Look at that beautiful engine bay! So shiny!

An hour later, we turned off the vacuum pump, to test for any apparent leaks (the vacuum pump will build vacuum in the system. Once off, if the system begins to build positive pressure, it's leaking somewhere). All went well, and we began tearing out the old AC compressor (surprisingly, not that hard).
Out with the old, in with the new! This may not look too bad, but believe me, it was thrashed on the inside:

My AC compressor also came with two different dryers (why? I have no idea), because you want to replace the dryer when doing the kit. My old one shows the wear this thing has gone through much more than the compressor:

Filthy!

After installation, we re-charged the system, checked for optimal pressure/temperature, test drove it (a lot), and all is well. It's still blowing ice friggin cold today, and I can't even tell it's on (as far as performance) when driving. Yay for this summer not being horrible while driving!

Now, onto the shitty part:
I've noticed for a few weeks now, that I'm blowing plumes of thick blue/black smoke at high RPM (usually around 7800rpm+). The car has been burning oil about a year now (probably a full quart every 6k miles, nothing alarming). I just ensured I stayed up on my oil, and kept up on regular oil changes (every 2700-3k). We discovered the smoke issue when timing the car. At first, I assumed it was due to my cleaning of the fuel system using Seafoam (I had done it earlier in the day), but realized that after 3 weeks of seeing this, that wasn't the case. I've always suspected my piston rings were done, but I think I under-estimated how bad it is. I'd also noticed that my head was really saturated with carbon buildup. Looks like I may need to replace this engine within the next 40k miles at max.
This got me looking at swaps. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I do know that this motor is on it's last legs. I know I could do a rebuild, but all of the rebuild components are going to run me in excess of $600-700. If I'm gonna drop cash anywhere near that, it's going into a swap. As of now, the car runs perfectly fine, and it doesn't smoke at all at low RPM, so I'll drive it for now, and go from there.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Search craigslist under $1000! BTW, I'll probably be heading through your neck of the woods come midish August. I have training in Louisiana, then plan to fly to Los Angeles, buy some super sweet sports car of some sort and head up to SF, Reno, and then on to Seattle to jump a ship to AK. Might have to swing by and see your project!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've noticed for a few weeks now, that I'm blowing plumes of thick blue/black smoke at high RPM (usually around 7800rpm+).
a single slammer at 7800 and up....that alone is a problem. ;)