Tokyo's Build Is Slower Than Yours

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Search craigslist under $1000! BTW, I'll probably be heading through your neck of the woods come midish August. I have training in Louisiana, then plan to fly to Los Angeles, buy some super sweet sports car of some sort and head up to SF, Reno, and then on to Seattle to jump a ship to AK. Might have to swing by and see your project!
Dude absolutely! Let me know when you're coming through, we'll BBQ + beer!

a single slammer at 7800 and up....that alone is a problem. ;)
Hahaha no joke there. I normally don't get anywhere near 7k in this car, but we took it up that high intentionally to see if it would blow smoke. And it did. Bad piston rings.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Hell yeah! STOKED. Been doing mucho research on the M6 ;)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Will do! Where are you located exactly? My brother lives in San Fransisco and my wife will be in Reno so I have to head that direction no matter what I do. I was hoping to find the car I want some where in the SW of the country and then drive up I-5.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Will do! Where are you located exactly? My brother lives in San Fransisco and my wife will be in Reno so I have to head that direction no matter what I do. I was hoping to find the car I want some where in the SW of the country and then drive up I-5.
I'm in a small town in the High Desert of Southern California called Victorville. It's basically a pitstop for anyone coming from Orange County/LA heading to Las Vegas, and that's about it lol.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Sweet man! I'm stopping by for sure if I end up in So Cal then. A good buddy of mine lives in Lancaster so I'll be crashing with him at least a night. It won't be until early Aug when i'll know which part of the country i'll be flying to for the right car. If I don't have to go too far out of the way to get to So Cal, we'll be hoisting beers soon enough! :party1:

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sweet man! I'm stopping by for sure if I end up in So Cal then. A good buddy of mine lives in Lancaster so I'll be crashing with him at least a night. It won't be until early Aug when i'll know which part of the country i'll be flying to for the right car. If I don't have to go too far out of the way to get to So Cal, we'll be hoisting beers soon enough! :party1:
Lancaster is about an hour and a half away from here, not too far.

For sure man, let me know! We'll get smashed!

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Soooo was driving home this evening, and the Civic threw a CEL out of nowhere. Came to a stop at a light, and the car started idling really rough, almost stalling out. Once driving, it drives fine, but hesitates/stutters occasionally. Got home, pulled the plugs, and all looked pretty good. The #3 cylinder did look a bit burnt, but not terribly bad. Checked fluids, all is well. I double checked my distributor timing, all was fine. Strange. While the car is idling, it idles a tiny bit rough, but you can't hear a thing from the engine itself. I can hear a distinct misfire from the muffler, though, and when the car cranks, it misfires as well. My buddy has an OBD2 code reader, so I'll go grab that tomorrow to scan the code and figure out what's going on. Hopefully it's just a clogged cat/muffler. If so, new exhaust it is this week!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just jump the 2 pin connector in the passenger footwell and get the obd1 version of the code. Its usually straight to the point anyway. Obd2 is more detailed but at least you'd know the extent of the problem right away.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Soooo was driving home this evening, and the Civic threw a CEL out of nowhere. Came to a stop at a light, and the car started idling really rough, almost stalling out. Once driving, it drives fine, but hesitates/stutters occasionally. Got home, pulled the plugs, and all looked pretty good. The #3 cylinder did look a bit burnt, but not terribly bad. Checked fluids, all is well. I double checked my distributor timing, all was fine. Strange. While the car is idling, it idles a tiny bit rough, but you can't hear a thing from the engine itself. I can hear a distinct misfire from the muffler, though, and when the car cranks, it misfires as well. My buddy has an OBD2 code reader, so I'll go grab that tomorrow to scan the code and figure out what's going on. Hopefully it's just a clogged cat/muffler. If so, new exhaust it is this week!

Factory trouble shooting tree:

1. Does your car have a rough idle? yes or no
2. If yes, swap out for K.
3. If no, swap out for K.
4. Enjoy

I found that info back on like page 164 or something. :cool:

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just jump the 2 pin connector in the passenger footwell and get the obd1 version of the code. Its usually straight to the point anyway. Obd2 is more detailed but at least you'd know the extent of the problem right away.
Thanks for the info! I got it though. Ran a different code reader, misfire in #3 cylinder. Turned out to be mainly due to a bad fuel filter. Replaced that, cleared code to see if it'd resurface, and all has been great for 3+ days. We'll see after 90 miles if it comes back on. Noticed my cat is clogged as well.

Factory trouble shooting tree:

1. Does your car have a rough idle? yes or no
2. If yes, swap out for K.
3. If no, swap out for K.
4. Enjoy

I found that info back on like page 164 or something. :cool:
:lol:

So exhaust is going to be replaced here. Part of my exhaust piping (axle back) just looks like s**t, and the muffler is ugly as hell (brownish, looks gross, and is kinda noisy due to a packed cat, and I'm sure packed muffler). I noticed that my resonator is kind of flopping around under there, too. Checked the exhaust hangers, and one of the bushings is torn, so a new bushing set, exhaust and cat will be my next pieces going in. I really REALLY want an Apexi WS2, but we'll see what money permits :(

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buy some 3" piping and turbo it lol
This is legitimately on my mind lol. It's my daily, but this car has no guts. I could spend like $1500 and boost it pretty decently.. another $500 and build a little Vitara single cam that could make 300whp... hmm.. naaahh lol

So, as much as I wanna go with a WS2, I'm gonna check out the Yonaka exhaust system. I don't think I'll have this car next year (really want a cleaner slate), so I'm just gonna make sure everything is clean and safe, then slang it. The next project will get high quality parts, if there is one. As always, I can't make up my mind :cool:

Summertime has been crazy busy at work. We're starting to trickle down, which means I'll have more time to finish working on this thing. I've gotten lazy with it :lol:

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quick question. When you reupholstered your headliner did you take the old one off or did you applied the new one on top of the old one?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should remove the old gunk when doing a headliner. You'll regret it if you dont.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quick question. When you reupholstered your headliner did you take the old one off or did you applied the new one on top of the old one?
I actually picked up an entirely new headliner from a 2000 Civic EX Coupe, and removed the cloth material on it. We scraped off as much of the factory glue as we could, and applied headliner adhesive in sections, to tack the new material down. I'm seriously still proud of myself/my roommate. That s**t looks OEM, no joke.

You should remove the old gunk when doing a headliner. You'll regret it if you dont.
Bingo. Gotta get that residue off, otherwise it won't stick right. It's not hard, but don't scrape hard. You just need to get the surface even and kind of smooth.

So, did a little bit of work over the weekend on the coupe. It's been smoking bad, and we've been replacing things that were already thrashed along the way, mainly because they were in dire need, partially because we were hoping the smoking would stop lol. Today we bit the bullet, and did a compression test. The results: #1 - 170, #2 - 170, #3 - 150, #4 - 160. So essentially, it appears my rings are shot. I won't know the full extent of the block until we pull the head to check the condition of the sidewalls of the block. If it has ridges, I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it. If it just needs rings, I'll replace rings and gaskets.
In lieu of the motor being bad, I did some thinking about my approach on this car. I've been so back and forth with it for a long time.. at first I wanted to do a crazy K swap (would be so much fun!), but the car needs WAY too much work to consider that right now.. then, I was tempted to do a turbo b20VTEC swap.. then I was over it, and wanted a BMW (still do haha). As of now, I'm enjoying not having a car payment, and having a lot of extra money, so I'm going to hold off on dealing with a new car for a little bit.. my income allows me to build a motor without any sort of struggle (although I'm going to take my time.. 6 months or so), so I think I'm going to do that. I'm going to pick up a motor on Tuesday, but I won't tell you guys what it is.. I'll post pictures when I get it :D