tranny swap problems

Jaevansbuilders

Bought a 2000 civic ex and the auto tranny was swapped for a manual, it runs fine but I am get several OBD codes preventing me from passing smog test here In so. California. The car still has the auto ECU in it. Codes P1706 (neutral safety switch) P1768(linear solenoid) P1753 (lock up solenoid). There is no clutch pedal safety switch, they just combined the two large blk wires to the auto shift plug together making the car think it's in park. What do I need to do to rid my self of these codes and pass smog test, should I replace the ECU with a manual ECU and if I do, should I also replace the engine and dash wire harnesses or is there an easier way

Mr.E138

VTEC
Best thing to do is just get a manual car yea cali is weird with there smog rules good thing my car is registered in tx cops told me i dont have to smog just need regular emissions test

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get a manual ECU (P2P). You can keep the same harness. You'll need to rewire the IACV though...

Then for your reverse lights, the yel/red and grn/blk are your reverse lights, and can go right to the reverse light switch.

Also, cut off plug 14P, and solder the 2 thicker black wires and the one blk/blu wire together -- this will allow the key to release (and start your car). <--- this is required!

With the right ECU and the wiring above you should be good to pass with any CEL on. Your cluster will say you're in park, of course, so I'm not sure if they'll give you s**t for that, but you can always find a manual cluster or just take out the light to the gear select. I never had any issues with that when I lived in Mass, but again, that's not CA...

Good luck! :thumbs up

RonJ

Banned
You are running a manual transmission with an auto ECU. The fix seems obvious.