Trying to improve my MPG, Spark plugs and wires??

HyperXK

5+ Year Member
My car gets horrible gas milage right now, think about 25mpg. i drive all higway miles, 60 round trip a day. plus when I'm sitting at a light, my rpm drop to around 100 possibly less, where car sputters and almost wants to die.

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go to a shop, a good shop, and get your fuel system flushed. it'll get backed up after a good 50,000 miles, and no one ever knows to get it flushed, so it probably hasn't been done, that should do it. my wife's 4dr has the same problem. she's at like 169K miles, and the last owner i doubt didn't take good car of it. we had like 700 dollars worth of suspension work done, that helped a little, and everything needed to be replaced anyways, but a mechanic buddy of mine said the flush should totally help. she's been getting around 20-27 on a good tank.
fuel filter, air filter and the flush should restore you back to normal. the flush should only be about $100 for your average shop.

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
go to a shop, a good shop, and get your fuel system flushed. it'll get backed up after a good 50,000 miles, and no one ever knows to get it flushed, so it probably hasn't been done, that should do it. my wife's 4dr has the same problem. she's at like 169K miles, and the last owner i doubt didn't take good car of it. we had like 700 dollars worth of suspension work done, that helped a little, and everything needed to be replaced anyways, but a mechanic buddy of mine said the flush should totally help. she's been getting around 20-27 on a good tank.
fuel filter, air filter and the flush should restore you back to normal. the flush should only be about $100 for your average shop.
whats the flush?
is it fuel injector clean? firestone 80 bucks

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
switch gears at 3000rpm?
what if you drove slower?
I found that if I filled up it gets me better gas mileage than putting gas here and there.
this is true though.
full tank saves more gas
i always fill when its at half tank
well i usually shift at 3.2-3.5 thousand rpm when i had my d16
well yeah i really want another for the time being because premium is expensive.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that's kinda the opposite of theory. typically if you drive around with a full tank your lugging around like an extra 100lbs of fuel
it is good to keep you tank above half cos fuel does evaporate in the tank. and its best to fill up early in the morning when the underground tanks and cold cos with the heat thorughout the day petrol expands and the pumps dont have a sensor to compensate for that.

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it is good to keep you tank above half cos fuel does evaporate in the tank. and its best to fill up early in the morning when the underground tanks and cold cos with the heat thorughout the day petrol expands and the pumps dont have a sensor to compensate for that.
:word: i heard that on Top Gear

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had denso Iridiums plug and it give me bad mpg,after i did a tune up and switch it with ngk my mpg when up big time.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think I need my fuel injectors cleaned/flushed or whatever, because my car is like 22-25 mpg on city... and I dont drive hard at all. grosss.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
22-25 City isnt bad. Stop and go has a strong effect on mileage.

How do you clean fuel injectors the right way without adding a treatment to the tank?
Can they be removed, dunked in liquid to be cleaned? I think I heard that before.

Thats next on my list along with a new fuel filter.