turbo b18 help!!!

civicsoulja21

Registered VIP
ok i am looking to trade some parts for a turbo b18a on 15psi, would an ls vtec on say 7 or 8lbs be safe? or what about a b18 bored out to a 2.0 could that be safe for boost? i am looking to beat msy dads jdm gsr and my b16 just isnt cutting it. i could boost the b16 but it has 208k on it right now. what do you guys think i should do?:
Ls turbo (nippon pistons, pro seal rings, shot peened rods, all arp bolts) high boost
Ls/Vtec (b18a+b16 head) turbo low boost
or B20/Vtec (b18 bored to a 2.0 with stock rods all the rest is aftermarket with b16 head) on low boost

Please tell me which i would be best suited for in my em1 and how you would suggest to have each one built. the b18/b20 blocks all have arp bolts different pistons and such all but rods are aftermarket so just pm me or post in here what i should go with and what build, the only block i dont have to choose from is a type r or gsr i have 2 ls blocks and my stock b16 block.

I have also heard the b16 crank is the best for boost if so could i put this crank in one of the b18 blocks? if so also tell me information on this as well please. Thanks!

MugenRR

Banned
b20vtec, or keep it stock and get a b16 SC.
Thank you

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are other things to take into consideration. Such as which turbo you are using. You can boost 20 psi on a td05 and it won't do anything after it has maxed out. Sometimes it's all in the driver. I was racing and beating gsr swapped cars with my ls motor swapped

civicsoulja21

Registered VIP
the turbo is a garrett t3/t4 .60 trim. Im a pretty good driver for only being 16, i had my b16 beating my dads gsr then he got a test pipe. ive had his car beat an rsx type s, an srt4, and a sentra spec v. im still in schooling and dont want my car to blow on me with my 8k rev limit and all

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What sorts of mods does your dads car have? Cause a test tipe will add about 2hp+-

civicsoulja21

Registered VIP
intake exhaust and test pipe. now i either want to boost or ls vtec or ls vtec boost. i have heard the ls vtec block should be fine as long as it has the ard rod bolts that with an ls vtec i should be able to run around 10psi safely

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im almost in the same boat as you. cant decide between turbo ls or turbo ls/v. i keep hearing how ls/v isnt reliable even when its built

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ls vtec just has to be built correctly and then tuned properly. Arp rod bolts are a must in a reliable ls-v turbo build. For the street ls-turbo is a good choice too. Paired with the right turbo the power is there throughout all rpm's.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Wow I must be having a good day because this subject that has been covered a million times isnt pissing me off.

Boost any three of those. Dont bore out the LS to 84mm you will just make the walls weaker. B16 head on the LS on 10psi will be in the 260-270whp range. Do not take it past the stock rev limit for the LS

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved to FI, also I have a built B18 head if you're interested. It's a non-v head but has plenty of goodies in it ;)

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
Moved to FI, also I have a built B18 head if you're interested. It's a non-v head but has plenty of goodies in it ;)
how much for the head? im building a B18 for when i get back from afghanistan so i have something to play with. built head would go nicely with the rest of the build.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how much for the head? im building a B18 for when i get back from afghanistan so i have something to play with. built head would go nicely with the rest of the build.
Expect a PM shortly...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any of those motor combinations, when built, would make a mean turbo setup. If it were me, since you already have the b16, i'd just rebuild the motor for boost. Then you'll have a brand new motor and it'll be ready to lay down some serious power safely (if built properly of course) Traction will become your next issue to tackle.

civicsoulja21

Registered VIP
the b18 block has the stuff i first posted and i would be running a stock b16 head with arp head studs. i will probably only run 7 or 8 psi on 93 and on e85 probably 10-12 psi. my rev limiter would be 8000 no higher because this is my daily the only cars around me that mess around are stis and one gto everything else are stock v6 mustangs. do you guys thin that ls vtec on 7-8 pounds would be a safe daily for me?

rayej8

5+ Year Member
im actually goin lsv and the only bad thing ive heard is that axles go out real fast but of course depending on the axles themselves once i get my build done my compression is goin to b at around 12.3:1 cp i was thinkin about boosting but at that compression i would have to boost between 6 and 8 psi..maybe 9 once its tuned so my thing is if i dont lik it as an n/a motor ill jus boost it built and see wat happens

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any motor would be safe to drive at your suggested boost levels with that turbo as long as THE MOTOR IS BUILT PROPERLY and TUNED to handle it. Simple as that really. So it's kind of hard to say this will or wont be okay for daily driving. The build and tune make or break setups

rayej8

5+ Year Member
any motor would be safe to drive at your suggested boost levels with that turbo as long as THE MOTOR IS BUILT PROPERLY and TUNED to handle it. Simple as that really. So it's kind of hard to say this will or wont be okay for daily driving. The build and tune make or break setups
well said

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
from the research ive done, any of these setups will be able to put some serious power down, if done correctly, like child said. just make sure you do it right the first time. spend the money now so your not redoing it when you blow it up ;) haha