Turbo vs Supercharger

ill3galdr1v3r

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by temp02
why does it matter what kind of car he has? turbozinc has a mustang?.....:roll: :roll:
im not saying he shouldn't be...but theres a reason why its clubcivic not club350z

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey,
The problem with this question is we are comparing apples w/ oranges. or if your a guy like me we are comparing super models with the cute girl next door. Both are just as good, but different.

Like with any research you do on a car part your first question should be: What do i need it for.
Here is a few things im just quickly putting down, I am not talking to technical and its just stuff from what i've been around, in other words i could always be wrong.

Superchargers: Superchargers are a way of increasing horsepower with less work. But you get what you pay/work for. It does require HP to power the supercharger, but sence its giving you a postive amount of HP all it really means is that some of the HP gain will cancel out, but not much.

Superchargers are nice a dependable. After installation there is alot less to worry about then a turbo, however the increase is much less. I would use a supercharger if you want something that just goes in and works without you even having to look at it.

Turbo: Turbo's are much different. The most important thing you have to think about with a turbo is what size to get. Bigger DOES NOT mean better. If your running a civic w/ the stock engine, do not get a larger turbo. The bigger the turbo the longer it takes to spool up. While you will get more HP increase w/ a big turbo it will take you much longer to feel the effects of that power. You'll win but you'll have to play a quick game of catch up first.

The other conflict with Turbo's is that the engine is not made to have one! Don't listen to anyone that says all you have to do is install the turbo and your done, you won't. You'll need a new list of parts including some extremely expensive spark plugs (which you will be replacing 3 times as fast as your oil). Turbo's also generally need to be tuned, as well as the engine will. If you don't you will be killing your engine slowly. (or extremely quick when you least need it). Don't let this scare you, just make sure you have some cash standing by and you done your research (and maybe found a tuneshop thats knows you enough to date their daughters, cuz you gonna need their help).

Like i said its comparing two different things. turbo = more power and more responsibililty Supercharger = less power but less work/money. Hope that helps. if you need more info feel free to IM me at ImportRacerFF (aim) or email me at ImportRacerFF@snet.net ~Brian

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
vernon ct.. damn man welcome, your right next door. i know your new, but theres a possible ct/ mass meet sometime, pm or aim me if your down for something. good info, but boost doesnt necessarily need to be tuned either with a s/c or with a turbo. you can slap a fmu and larger injectors on and call it a day. it works but its not the best. you need lower heat range spark plugs for any kind of boost, turbo or s/c and they arent that much, if any more expensie (just a diff heat range. you need them for n2o also) both types of boost benefit tremendously from a proper fuel management system, like a hondata or aem ems. a turbo isnt necessarily less reliable either, a s/c has a lot more moving parts to break than a turbo. it also doesnt run like a turbo in that at cruising and light throttle (basically normal driving) your still boosting. because a s/c is engine driven, it makes a set boost pressure at a set rpm. since our engines are h igh revvers, we cruise at high rpm's (my stock ex is about 3500-4000 rpm on the highway) which is pretty significant boost. that boost adds to the strain on the motor, and hurts mileage. while a turbo on that same motor is doing nothing. at light throttle, there isnt enough exhaust gas heat to spin the turbo, so the engine is running at vaccume, basically as if there is no turbo at all. you can actually run a car at redline (in neutral obviously) and if your only using a light throttle setting, the engine will not be running boost. under load the turbo spools, and you get boost. and a properly sized turbo should spool quickly enough that there isnt much lag. so you only have the extra power (and extra wear and tear) when you ask for it. and you get more peak power, and more just about everywhere on the powerband with a turbo than a s/c.