Ubuntu

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ok so backstory - I've got my main desktop beast running full windows 7. I like it plenty, but my netbook is only running the windows 7 starter...and honestly i think for a netbook, windows 7 in ANY form is a bit much. so i switched over to Ubuntu Netbook....annnnd it kinda sucks. the Unity crap has certain things locked down much like the w7 starter. so right now im running the regular ubuntu alongside the w7. i like the ubuntu but want some of you guys with more knowledge to chime in...anything i need to know/make use of with ubuntu or should i stick with w7 starter? thanks guys

*Edit*

also, is there anyway for my itunes on Big Boy (main pc) to regularly update onto Lil Buddy (netbook) without having to re-drag my whole music folder?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I thought Ubuntu was a country in Africa.....

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I thought Ubuntu was a country in Africa.....
Ubuntu is an African word for something like Unity amongst people or something like that.

Anyways, OP; I use Ubuntu on my netbook(MSi u100 w/ overlocking) it runs everything great. Only thing I haven't messed with is the webcam, but I don't use that so... I tried the whole Unity thing, hated it as well. I ended up switch to the Ubuntu Desktop 2D and editting the menu and task bars to give me more viewing landscape.

I generally use the netbook at work for browsing and watching Top Gear(in .mkv) and have not had any issues whatsoever.I also had Ubuntu on my desktop tower before I switched to Mac.

You should be fine switch full time to Ubuntu. As far as your iTunes library goes, I have no idea on that.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From what I have found, iTunes will only allow your to sync with one computer at a time. Otherwise you have to manually update it on the second computer EVERY time.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
daaaammit. stupid itunes. ok so.....any ideas howwwww to remove windows 7? lol. im getting tired so i havent really looked. and folding warm laundry isnt helping. but im gonna remove that ish tomorrow

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just put the Ubuntu disc or USB in, restart into the ubuntu installer. During install, it will ask you to partition the hard drive, check use entire disk.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some day I need to give ubuntu a shot. I hear great things about it. Can Ubuntu run Mac (.dmg) and Windows (.exe) files? If so, that'd be killer.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not 100% sure about .dmg, but installin Wine on it will allow you to run Windows files. Lots of people are getting successful results with Wine in regards to games, talking about same performances as Windows based.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can convert the DMG file to an IMG file and mount it within Ubuntu, then convert it to an ISO file. You have to do it by the Terminal, but it is possible.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well.. that's frustrating... you can't run mac OR windows files without modification of some sort. Sounds like a major pain in the ass to me. Why bother with it if you literally can't run anything without going through extra work?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well.. that's frustrating... you can't run mac OR windows files without modification of some sort. Sounds like a major pain in the ass to me. Why bother with it if you literally can't run anything without going through extra work?
It's not hard with Windows file, but Mac it can get tricky.

It's amazing that with Windows files its so easy to run when Mac OSX was based on unix so it should have the same file structure, and file system, but yet, it's not. You have to go through several steps, and even then, it's not guaranteed, whereas you run Wine, and it's simple :lol:

This is why you pay for a OS like Windows and Mac instead of an OS like Ubuntu/Linux. Things just work on Windows and Mac, but you're limited on what you can do, with them. Linux, sometimes they don't work, but you have absolutely control with it. You can change the Linux desktop to what you like best, Gnome and KDE. You can do pretty much ANYTHING with Linux. Infact, Mac OSX was based off of the KDE desktop.

For customization and absolute control over your OS, Linux is where yuo want to go, if you want an OS that works, that you don't have to open terminals when something doesn't work, have a s**t load more programs to run on your computer, Windows and Mac is where you want to go.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^Nice description, thanks.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Ok so Ive gone back and forth on what i wanna do with Lil Buddy. After looking online a bit, I think my options are Linux Mint, Ubuntu 10.10, Lubuntu 10.10 and Xubuntu, then there's Jolicloud. Now my issue is that, being a netbook without an optical drive, how does one load the iso file. Ubuntu 10.10 (from ubuntu.com) has a link to a universal USB installer. every time i tried that, i would change the boot order and get either Missing Operating System, or some boot error about gfxboot. sooooo idk. Thoughts on the differences between those OS's? and Help on how to get ish loaded?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try hitting the Esc key, or whatever key you have to press for boot order at POST, and see if you can select the USB drive.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Nope. it dont work yooo. Now its telling me "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart" all in DOS

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
More importantly, what I are you running right now? You are aware that Mint 9/10 is Ubuntu w/ some changes and that Xubuntu & Lubuntu are basically the same thing, but using different desktop environments. Lubuntu using Openbox and Xubuntu using Xfce.

Are you even sure you'd want to use Jolicloud? I tried it, hated it.

Anyway, if you're trying to make a bootable USB drive in Ubuntu. It would be in your system menu in I believe administration or something. It is called Start up disc.
If you're doing it from Windows you can download UNetbootin or Universal USB installer.

-

Still confused on how OS X is based off of KDE. Maybe Aqua theme is.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Im currently still running windows 7 starter cuz i got rid of ubuntu 10.10 running simultaneously. I am aware that they're preeeeetty my all the same. i really liked the theme on ubuntu when i was running it, but also read that Lubuntu is kinda like..."ubuntu lite" and would be good for netbooks.

As far as Jolicloud, i just know what i read on engadget a few months back about it being a good, quick OS for a netbook.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
More importantly, what I are you running right now?
He was running Windows 7.

You are aware that Mint 9/10 is Ubuntu w/ some changes and that Xubuntu & Lubuntu are basically the same thing, but using different desktop environments. Lubuntu using Openbox and Xubuntu using Xfce.
True, Mint is based off of Ubuntu, more and more Linux distros are becoming based of off Ubuntu because of its repositories.

Are you even sure you'd want to use Jolicloud? I tried it, hated it.
I haven't tried it, looks interesting, will give it a shot this weekend.

Anyway, if you're trying to make a bootable USB drive in Ubuntu. It would be in your system menu in I believe administration or something. It is called Start up disc.
If you're doing it from Windows you can download UNetbootin or Universal USB installer.
There's otherways of doing this, you can actually burn/mount the Ubuntu ISO onto the flash drive, which is what I think he's trying to do.

Still confused on how OS X is based off of KDE. Maybe Aqua theme is.
Apple took the design, feel, functions of KDE, and did their own twist to it.

Atleast now you can actually get KDE on a Mac.