Undecided: Go with K-Series coupe/hatch or Turbo GSR

HondaFanatik

Alright, at first I had my mind set up on getting a boosted k20 but now I've seen that a GSR can get up there in power too.. I wanna be different with the k20 but is it really worth spendn all that money on boosted k series coupe/hatch?
Need advice before I go out nd buy somethn.
Btw: New member.

JarretZ6

is this going to be a race or street car?
gsr turbo would be cheaper and easier. atleast i would think so.
k series would be alot more work and cost probably x2 as much.

But its all up to you, this is your build, if your not going to be happy with it or half ass it dont do it at all.

HondaFanatik

That's The thing.. I'm gonna be driving it on the regular but I still wanna be able to go to the track nd hit 11s or lower.

HondaFanatik

That's The thing.. I'm gonna be driving it on the regular but I still wanna be able to go to the track nd hit 11s or lower.

emerican

Registered VIP
built and tuned right a boosted gsr can hit those numbers depeding on turbo boost supporting mods etc and be im sure it would be cheaper than a k swap.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want a car that can run 11s or 10s and be daily driven, you are looking at the wrong kind of cars. A late model corvette z06 with a healthy nitrous kit is about the easiest way to get that. A civic that runs those times will not be anything that can be reliably or comfortably street driven and will probably not use pump gas. an older camaro or mustang with a lot of mods will be a bit close as well, or a built Subaru STI or Mitsubishi evo. I hope you have 30 grand burning a hole in your pocket at a minimum for any of those options. Also, have you ever driven a high hp fwd car? Or know what goes into making one get traction? Dreams are great, but reality sets in when you wake up in the morning.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
K motors the only swap worth doing IMO. Maybe I'm biased because of my sponsor though lol. But seriously, mildly built k-series in a coupe or hatch are quick. A built or boosted one is fast. K motor with mild build and you'll have a quick and reliable setup.

HondaFanatik

Yeah im lookn at a boosted k for about 8,300.
Never really driven anything super fast.. Fastest I've been is my 350z. But thinkn about it.. I can go spend about 6-7k on a boosted GSR or maybe with good mods nd run about wat? 12-13 secs. I buy a K for a grand more nd get that extra power, not to mention torque nd still drive it daily. But I really dnt kno wat to do. Thx for the suggestions. If anybody wants to keep helpn me out on this I wld really appreciate it.

HondaFanatik

It's hard bcus it's not lk I have 15k just laying around so that's why it's difficult for me cus I'm sure Watever I buy I'm gonna hold on to for a long time bcus I'm engaged nd hav rent nd all that stuff. I want high hp but not somethn that I wanna worry about if it'll break down tomorrow or the next day.

iHeartHonda

Lmfao. I read this and was about to give my two cents not realizing its you. Lol.. You know my choice. Definetly k20! :D

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah im lookn at a boosted k for about 8,300.
Never really driven anything super fast.. Fastest I've been is my 350z. But thinkn about it.. I can go spend about 6-7k on a boosted GSR or maybe with good mods nd run about wat? 12-13 secs. I buy a K for a grand more nd get that extra power, not to mention torque nd still drive it daily. But I really dnt kno wat to do. Thx for the suggestions. If anybody wants to keep helpn me out on this I wld really appreciate it.
a k20 swap is a lot more than $1000 more than a gsr swap. and 6-7 k gets you the parts for a turbo gsr, but unless you're a pretty decent mechanic, a tuner with software, wideband o2, and a dyno at your disposal, and you have a car with a chassis set up with a drag suspension, traction bars, roll cage (required to go below 13's on most tracks) and a set of drag radials/slicks, you arent going to build a 12 second turbo gsr for anywhere near that money. and that leaves you with an internally stock motor, which limits you to 300-350 very well tuned whp. that puts a gutted hatchback or crx deep into the 12's with a very good driver, but its not something you would ever want to daily drive. in a heavier car, you're looking a a high 12's/ 13 flat car with a newish driver. a turbo k will run you easily well over $10,000 for the above items, and you're still boosting a stock motor with 11:1+ compression- not a recipe for everyday reliability if its going to see track time/ extracurricular racing as well. you would also need a 2nd car to drive you around while all of this work is being done,and you are spending time and $$ fixing all the stuff that breaks and needs upgrading.

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A stock J or K swap is cooler than a built B,D,H,F, etc.

Cripton805

Go Turbo GSR with a built bottom end.
And a DAMN good tune.

Strip the car except for the front seats. Rear paneling, Seats, Spare Tire.

HondaFanatik

@Handlebars.. Really good point! How about if i buy a k swapped hatch or coupe from a very trusted source? How much money wld be dropped into running low number while still a daily driver?
That's mainly wat I need, a fast car but a daily driver too. Tough choice lol cus I want speed but also reliable.

@Ej8Kid I agree man..
@Kyle97Charlie pretty much but is it worth the money overall? That's wat I wanna kno cus that's wats my problem cus idk wat to go with.

r81_civic

yea 11 seconda out of a daily driven honda is a sweet dream ive had it before but im not saying settle but u gotta pick reliable daily or track monster. and honestly ive driven a fast car and a boosted k swap in your civic is deff not wat your gonna want driven down a crappy side road. boosted k swaps are worthless daily driver. boosted gsr might actually be decent but still your gonna have to run 2 setups one for your normal driving and another for the track. honestly u wanna be a beast on the streets and still reliable do as follows cams on a k24 6 speed tranny and kpro and you are set.

HondaFanatik

yea 11 seconda out of a daily driven honda is a sweet dream ive had it before but im not saying settle but u gotta pick reliable daily or track monster. and honestly ive driven a fast car and a boosted k swap in your civic is deff not wat your gonna want driven down a crappy side road. boosted k swaps are worthless daily driver. boosted gsr might actually be decent but still your gonna have to run 2 setups one for your normal driving and another for the track. honestly u wanna be a beast on the streets and still reliable do as follows cams on a k24 6 speed tranny and kpro and you are set.
I originally wanted a k24 swap but all I've been able to find are k20s.. I want the torque from the k24 nd plus I heard they're a little more reliable. But yeah I guess I cld hav a fast car nd still an ok track car. This guy is offering me a boosted b18 hatch for 5.5k. He has all the paperwork of the tunings nd motor so sounds pretty legit. The only thing that im still kinda idk about is wether to spend that much on a Gsr or go for a K non boosted?

r81_civic

when it comes to that there gonna make around the same hp. u just gotta think to yourself do u wanna be the guy to have a gsr boost are the "k" swapped guy. and a k swap n/a will be way funner to dive around town then a boosted ls all motor is fun reliable and k's are great on a bottle. IMO k swapped for the win riding around without a hood with a k brings smiles to my face.