Vtec feeling in D series...

eortizr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi, I wonder if any of you guys have opinions about the feeling of the Vtec in a D Series engine (Stock internals). Do you realy feel the vtec like the B-Serie)

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
simple answer - no.

ive even been in some b-series where it wasnt even that noticable - could only be heard due to intake/exhaust :lol:

but yeah, no big action on the d-series when vtec engages

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i drove my friends stock 96 civic ex, and all his vtec did was make noise... i didnt feel s**t, especially after feelin vtec kick in my h22.

ryanM

i can hear and feel the pull a little in my car. but ive never ridden in a car with a B or H series

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
i can hear and feel the pull a little in my car. but ive never ridden in a car with a B or H series
youre one up on me then, all i heard was noise when i drove his lol...

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
haha yeah its tiny notice but nothing like driving a prelude SH or honda s2000 esp the s2000 that vtec throws u back in ur seat =)

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
d-serier vtec is weak, b-series vtec STOCK is ok pulls a little harder, H22 vtec STOCK is a very nice pull, I have drove all three motors and H22 has the best pull. But something that beats that is a gsr motor with a t3/t4 turbo on it, when it finally hits full boost at 4000rpm that is what vtec should feel like.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
d-serier vtec is weak, b-series vtec STOCK is ok pulls a little harder, H22 vtec STOCK is a very nice pull, I have drove all three motors and H22 has the best pull. But something that beats that is a gsr motor with a t3/t4 turbo on it, when it finally hits full boost at 4000rpm that is what vtec should feel like.
haha yeah only in ppls dreams

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
anyone driven a new SI...hows the vtec feel on that?

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Vtec in my EX is like... weak, almost completely unnoticeable.

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 98 hx with a p28 all stock even stock air box with a k&n drop in. when vtec comes on at 5300 you can hear it and feel it. i have had many people ask me if i had a b swap and i dont. i will get a vid or sound clip soon and youll be able to hear it come on.

Botswanaman7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
watisjdm said:
anyone driven a new SI...hows the vtec feel on that?

Hey I just got a tafetta while 06 si a little while ago...the vtec is pretty intense stock

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
VTEC in the D-Series works fine. Try taking your car to a dyno and do a pull with no VTEC. Your power curve will drop like a rock. The high cam picks up right where the low cam left off. You're not feeling a tremendous pull, because it's a fairly smooth cross-over.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My y8, you can feel it just slightly, but the noise is what you'll notice more than anything. Especially if you have an intake and an exhaust. The valves just chatter away when you reach 5500 rpms!

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
VTEC in the D-Series works fine. Try taking your car to a dyno and do a pull with no VTEC. Your power curve will drop like a rock. The high cam picks up right where the low cam left off. You're not feeling a tremendous pull, because it's a fairly smooth cross-over.
Vtec d series engines only have one cam.

You can barley hear the vtec, barley and you most certaintly cannot feel it. Anyone who says differently is highly modded, lying or it's in their head. You can hear it a lot in my b16 but you still don't feel it THAT much.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vtec was made to smoothen the power band, not have a big power increase all of a sudden. and no you cant feel it on d series. the 6thgen you can actually hear it (like a whistle sound), but they "fixed" the 7thgen so you cant hear it or feel it.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a100100 said:
vtec is overrated
only because millons of ricer out there wont shut their mount about it & they know nothing about it. & still VTEC has many benefits, it does what iut was design to do extremly well. & the much better option for any honda performance street/strip car.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you wanna feel REAL VTEC go drive a 2001 Acura 3.2CL-S THAT has VTEC