What are these wires for? 93 civic d15b7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycoupe

I have a 93 civic MT with a d15b7. I have found these wires under my steering wheel that a previous owner have tampered with. Some wires are cut. Some grounds are not actually grounded. All of these wires seem to be connected to 2 big relays. Any idea of what these wires go to/ come from? Why someone would cut them or tamper with them? Pic: http://postimg.org/image/5sdjm9es3/

Let me know if the picture didn't work

Previous owner had bigger amperage fuses In a few spots in the fuse box (underhood).I bought a new speed sensor that worked for 10 minutes. . Headlights didn't work so I bought a new fuse and bulbs..that worked for a day. My brother said both sides where the fuse goes into the fuse box is giving power. He said one side of it is suppose to be ground. Not sure how to go about fixing that.

Extra info: used to be a auto once upon a time but is using a swap from a 5spd and using a 5spd ecu.
Has 2 kill switches. One is for fuel pump..The other is unknown.
Aftermarket radio and has a precision power kicker wired up.
Red power wire going from alternator to battery. Doubt it's oem because it's red.. not sure if the Guage of that wire matters.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
This is exactly why I don't buy cars with modified audio systems, beyond a head unit. It's always shady ass rigged s**t and I stay clear away from it now.

Good luck dude, I hope you get it all figured out.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 93 civic MT with a d15b7. I have found these wires under my steering wheel that a previous owner have tampered with. Some wires are cut. Some grounds are not actually grounded. All of these wires seem to be connected to 2 big relays. Any idea of what these wires go to/ come from? Why someone would cut them or tamper with them?

Previous owner had bigger amperage fuses In a few spots in the fuse box (underhood).I bought a new speed sensor that worked for 10 minutes. . Headlights didn't work so I bought a new fuse and bulbs..that worked for a day. My brother said both sides where the fuse goes into the fuse box is giving power. He said one side of it is suppose to be ground. Not sure how to go about fixing that.

Extra info: used to be a auto once upon a time but is using a swap from a 5spd and using a 5spd ecu.
Has 2 kill switches. One is for fuel pump..The other is unknown.
Aftermarket radio and has a precision power kicker wired up.
Red power wire going from alternator to battery. Doubt it's oem because it's red.. not sure if the Guage of that wire matters.
I cant tell exactly what all that leads to, but you should start to research wiring diagrams to figure that out. and fix it. This is exactly why one must thoroughly inspect a used car they may purchase.

my93civic

They probably had an alarm system in it at one point. On my car it had a jumbled mess of wires in the same spot, i removed em (also had some relays in the rats nest). I removed almost a pound of wires, they even used speaker wire to power the door locks which i also removed. Just get a wiring diagram and go from there and good luck

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

jaycoupe

I cant tell exactly what all that leads to, but you should start to research wiring diagrams to figure that out. and fix it. This is exactly why one must thoroughly inspect a used car they may purchase.
I got this car in running condition for $150 so I accepted the challenge to fix it. I really had no clue somebody had a field day with the wiring lol. Yeah I've looked up wiring diagrams and couldn't find any which led me here.

jaycoupe

They probably had an alarm system in it at one point. On my car it had a jumbled mess of wires in the same spot, i removed em (also had some relays in the rats nest). I removed almost a pound of wires, they even used speaker wire to power the door locks which i also removed. Just get a wiring diagram and go from there and good luck

I'm having a hard time finding the diagram for this particular set of wires

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So what exactly have you done to solve this problem? I literally haven't seen a single post stating, "I looked at this, I did this, I checked this wire with a multimeter and found it connects here, I found this wire actually goes here. I downloaded the service manual and looked at it."

Are you going to actually look into the issue or are you just going to keep going back and forth?

Since you haven't even stated that you've looked through the manual, I'll assume you haven't tried to download it yet. Just to maybe hope that you're still interested in fixing the issue you originally came here about, here's the link to your manual:

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Civic/Ab0VE.Honda%20Civic%2092-95%20Service%20Manual.zip

Godspeed young buck

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Off topic / irrelevant / bickering / whiny posts deleted. No more of that please.

jaycoupe

So what exactly have you done to solve this problem? I literally haven't seen a single post stating, "I looked at this, I did this, I checked this wire with a multimeter and found it connects here, I found this wire actually goes here. I downloaded the service manual and looked at it."

Are you going to actually look into the issue or are you just going to keep going back and forth?

Since you haven't even stated that you've looked through the manual, I'll assume you haven't tried to download it yet. Just to maybe hope that you're still interested in fixing the issue you originally came here about, here's the link to your manual:

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Civic/Ab0VE.Honda%20Civic%2092-95%20Service%20Manual.zip

Godspeed young buck
If I post everything I've done it would be a better story than twilight. Trust me I've done all the obvious. I've even asked my brother ( has all ASE's currently a manager of train mechanics for metro) he had no idea what they were. I've used a test light on the stray power wires. .no power. .I don't have a probe to see if the ground wires are dead. I've asked on local car pages if anybody has a clue what they are... Most people say "aftermarket " but don't know what it does exactly. I will check the manual when I have the chance. I'm at work. Headlights: My brother told me since both sides of the circuit where the fuse goes into is giving power. I have a shorted ground. From what I know the ground for the headlights is the beige plastic boxes near the headlights but I will check the manual to avoid further complaining about me not looking at it.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If I post everything I've done it would be a better story than twilight. Trust me I've done all the obvious. I've even asked my brother ( has all ASE's currently a manager of train mechanics for metro) he had no idea what they were. I've used a test light on the stray power wires. .no power. .I don't have a probe to see if the ground wires are dead. I've asked on local car pages if anybody has a clue what they are... Most people say "aftermarket " but don't know what it does exactly. I will check the manual when I have the chance. I'm at work. Headlights: My brother told me since both sides of the circuit where the fuse goes into is giving power. I have a shorted ground. From what I know the ground for the headlights is the beige plastic boxes near the headlights but I will check the manual to avoid further complaining about me not looking at it.
Without even a brief breakdown of what was done, what you have looked at, and some sort of behavior of the connections, it's impossible to say what those wires are.

With the information given so far, my deduction of the situation is; someone tried to wire or rewire something, added a ton of wire to something for some reason, and did a really bad job at it.

If you trace the wires that are there to where ever the hell they are connected, you SHOULD hit either OEM wires OR whatever the hell the previous owner tried to wire up. Even this information would be more helpful for us to give you any sort of idea what we are looking at.

jaycoupe

Without even a brief breakdown of what was done, what you have looked at, and some sort of behavior of the connections, it's impossible to say what those wires are.

With the information given so far, my deduction of the situation is; someone tried to wire or rewire something, added a ton of wire to something for some reason, and did a really bad job at it.

If you trace the wires that are there to where ever the hell they are connected, you SHOULD hit either OEM wires OR whatever the hell the previous owner tried to wire up. Even this information would be more helpful for us to give you any sort of idea what we are looking at.
I really didn't think I'm being that vague. I posted a picture of it. I stated I have a aftermarket radio. It has 2 kill switches..and the wires are coming from under the steering wheel and poorly hiden by the floor mats and carpet. Connected to 2 relays I'm assuming. They read bosch. I've tried following the wires by hand because there not that visible as I'm a big guy and they run somewhere up into the dash or steering column. I will take the plastic off from under the steering wheel when i get home since it's already half on and dangling lol. I already stated I tested the stray wires. I will test other wires when I get home from work

RonJ

Banned
The service manual will help you determine which wires/harnesses are stock and which are add-on project wires from the previous owner. Remove all add-on wires and return the wire harnesses to stock. If the stock wire harnesses are hacked, scout salvage yards for unmolested wire harnesses to replace the hacked ones.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really didn't think I'm being that vague. I posted a picture of it. I stated I have a aftermarket radio. It has 2 kill switches..and the wires are coming from under the steering wheel and poorly hiden by the floor mats and carpet. Connected to 2 relays I'm assuming. They read bosch. I've tried following the wires by hand because there not that visible as I'm a big guy and they run somewhere up into the dash or steering column. I will take the plastic off from under the steering wheel when i get home since it's already half on and dangling lol. I already stated I tested the stray wires. I will test other wires when I get home from work
You'll have to follow the 87 pin on the relays, assuming they are standard 4 pin relays (wasn't mentioned) or you can check the fuel pump. I've seen two relay setups on the fuel pump before, one connected to the started solenoid also, from the fuel pump.

Assuming the radio and sound system components are not part of this rat's nest pictured?

Headlights sounds like a grounding issue or a bare / broken wire. Especially if that was one of the fuses the guy swapped out for a larger fuse. You'll be able to trace the wire when you dive into the manual. Hopefully you have a multimeter and are comfortable using it.

Wire from alternator to battery is pretty much irrelevant for this picture, as long as it's a heavy enough gauge to replace the original wire and can handle the amperage. Kind of stupid to have pulled the old one out, but whatever.

Will need to see what you come up with beyond that.

jaycoupe

The service manual will help you determine which wires/harnesses are stock and which are add-on project wires from the previous owner. Remove all add-on wires and return the wire harnesses to stock. If the stock wire harnesses are hacked, scout salvage yards for unmolested wire harnesses to replace the hacked ones.
The manual isn't showing on my phone so I will have to look at it when I get home. My brother suggested I get a new harness and re wire all the ghetto backyard work done to this thing. I have no idea what this guy had in mind..seems like when something went wrong he just started having a good time with connectors and wire strippers instead of buying replacement parts

my93civic

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Civic/Ab0VE.Honda Civic 92-95 Service Manual.zip

Godspeed young buck
Thank you

RonJ

Banned
The manual isn't showing on my phone so I will have to look at it when I get home. My brother suggested I get a new harness and re wire all the ghetto backyard work done to this thing. I have no idea what this guy had in mind..seems like when something went wrong he just started having a good time with connectors and wire strippers instead of buying replacement parts
Download the 92-95 Civic manual. The place to start is the Connector Identification and Wire Harness Routing section in the Electrical chapter. Take your time and study the tables and diagrams carefully. Every single stock wire harness and connector is shown there. This will help single out the junk wires from the stock ones. Get rid of all junk wires. If you need replacement stock harnesses, the diagrams will show you exactly which ones to retrieve and purchase from salvage yards. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.