What brakes do you run on your 6th gen?

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Trying to figure out what rotors and pads I should upgrade to. Any ideas. The motor will be a b16b turbo eventually.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
People get so stuck on big brake kits and seeing cars in magazines with crazy setups they lose site of what it actually takes to stop the car. Stock rotors, quality pads, flush the system with fresh brake fluid, and maybe steel besides lines will take you pretty far. Unless you're doing some serious road course racing keep it simple. Any named brand, quality pads and rotors purchased at local parts store are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That is an amazing write up. But, I will recommend a nice rotor and the akabono ceramic pad. I have never ever had a problem.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I run the cheap autozone parts on my civic. Since I just drive it around. What do you plan to do with it?

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But yeah, get a set of slotted ebc rotors, and hawk hps pads. Absolute best set up i've ran, low brake dust & noise.

When you get serious about the turbo etc. upgrade to the Wilwood bbc, its cheap and effective, also get a Si (Or SiR if you're in Canada) rear disk conversion

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
+1 on the rear disc.

But unless you're going to be tracking this thing, it's not like you need super gnarly brakes. Just get quality OEM rotors and some good ceramic pads and you'll be just fine. I'm boosting my GSR and I'm still running rear drums :smackself

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The rear disk swap would barely benifit as I think its 80-90% braking power is upfront. I would buy some hawk performance brake pads and follow the procedure to bedd them in properly. My hawk performance street pads and stock Honda rotors are amazing

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The rear disk swap would barely benifit as I think its 80-90% braking power is upfront. I would buy some hawk performance brake pads and follow the procedure to bedd them in properly. My hawk performance street pads and stock Honda rotors are amazing
This. Crash, save your moneys and dump it into your motor. Your drums are essentially your parking brake, that's it...

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This. Crash, save your moneys and dump it into your motor. Your drums are essentially your parking brake, that's it...
No I know this. This is why turbo is going on before rear disc. I want rear disc just for the cosmetic factor...

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No I know this. This is why turbo is going on before rear disc. I want rear disc just for the cosmetic factor...
I was considering the same thing. But it's like converting my climate control to the 00/CTR climate control. Strictly aesthetic, no real benefit at all, so why waste the money? If I decide to Auto-X, I'll do a rear disc, but until then..

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was considering the same thing. But it's like converting my climate control to the 00/CTR climate control. Strictly aesthetic, no real benefit at all, so why waste the money? If I decide to Auto-X, I'll do a rear disc, but until then..
So I don't look like a goon!

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Yes, but the proper way to do it completely is to change to a 50/50 proportioning valve. Tell me all you want it makes no difference but after my rear disc swap and 50/50 valve I noticed a big difference. a lot does have to factor in that I went from shot brakes to all new quality OEM stuff.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, but the proper way to do it completely is to change to a 50/50 proportioning valve. Tell me all you want it makes no difference but after my rear disc swap and 50/50 valve I noticed a big difference. a lot does have to factor in that I went from shot brakes to all new quality OEM stuff.

from every rear disk swap thread i have read that lists part numbers and all that shows that the ex and si share the same part number for the prop valve which means that a 96-00 ex with rear drums still uses a 50/50 prop valve, i think the only ones that are not 50/50 are the hatchbacks and the dx

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Oh my apologies I didn't realize you had an ex with the 50/50 already. I did not. You're correct.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
46210-S04-902 dx/cx prop valve oem part number
46210-S04-902 si prop valve oem number

This I think is the correct numbers for he prop valves on 96-00 civic trims, so I believe they are they same? I could be wrong.

emerican

Registered VIP
I agree you dont really need the rear disk unless you just have the money and want to do it for looks.
personally i will never swap mine i dont have any need too.
stock rotors hawk pads and youll be good if you want to spend more money then the more expesive kits already mentioned are good.
like everybody said though if your just going to drive it even if its boosted then you dont need a crazy brake setup.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
I did mine because I got a deal. I was replacing all the bushings anyways and I needed new brakes, hubs, and had a bad wheel cylinder. So figured why not I love the looks and ease to work on.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I did mine because I got a deal. I was replacing all the bushings anyways and I needed new brakes, hubs, and had a bad wheel cylinder. So figured why not I love the looks and ease to work on.

Yep I will eventually do mine because of the ease of maintenance and the better look but I don't expect it to stop me any better and its a long way down my list