What brakes do you run on your 6th gen?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The stopping "power" you're referring to is just the increased bite of the brake pads. You get a stronger bite when you have cross drilled/dimpled/slotted rotors. Heat dissipation is decreased because you simply have less surface area, plain and simple. Actual braking "power" is the same unless you've upgraded the caliper (larger piston, more powerful piston, or more pistons). When a brake pad has slots/dimples/drilled sections to grab onto, it eats away at the pad more (thus the extra brake dust) which can be kept at a decent amount with particular brake pads that don't produce as much brake dust and usually, if you have an upgraded set of brakes, you don't have to brake as much or as hard to stop. So you don't create as much brake dust in that sense. Equal pressure for the same length of time, the drilled/slotted/dimples setup will create more dust period.
Brake dust being washed off every week isn't really a concern as much as the life of the brake pad. Which was the point i was getting at.

Agree 100%. This and drilled rotors are notorious for cracking. Google cracked drilled rotor and you will see there are TONS of them. Some worse than others. I see them all the time most from normal daily driving.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Agree 100%. This and drilled rotors are notorious for cracking. Google cracked drilled rotor and you will see there are TONS of them. Some worse than others. I see them all the time most from normal daily driving.

A lot of that is also from buying cheap rotors as well. If you find yourself needing slotted or cross drilled rotors for your daily driving you need to learn to drive not buy cross drilled rotors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

aneidiaztorres

It's all about the owner and his/her driving habits. Plus, quality brakes + rotors influence your experience. I've had mine on for a good 3 going onto 4 months and no problems yet. Still biting hard every time I press down:D:D so I can't really talk down on the particular brakes I got. But there's of plenty of shitty brands out there that prolly deteriorate faster. Good luck to them!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just for the record, I use Akebono pads and standard Raybestos discs in the front and I dont notice brake dust until around 4-6 weeks. Stopping capacity is quite respectable as well.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's all about the owner and his/her driving habits. Plus, quality brakes + rotors influence your experience. I've had mine on for a good 3 going onto 4 months and no problems yet. Still biting hard every time I press down:D:D so I can't really talk down on the particular brakes I got. But there's of plenty of s***ty brands out there that prolly deteriorate faster. Good luck to them!
A lot of that is also from buying cheap rotors as well. If you find yourself needing slotted or cross drilled rotors for your daily driving you need to learn to drive not buy cross drilled rotors.

It's not necessarily a "cheap rotor" and nor is it the driver and his or her habits....it's comes down to the process used to create the cross drilled rotors. OE drilled rotors are manufactured differently than most aftermarket drilled rotors. You won't run across BMW M5's with cracked rotors, but it's a lot more likely to happen with an aftermarket set thrown on a civic for bargain basement prices.

There's no point in drilled rotors on a civic anyway. If you need more bite, upgrade the caliper. Civics come with pathetic calipers (due to the small vehicle size and curb weight, which makes sense). Larger and heavier cars that come with drilled or slotted rotors from the factory usually have quite a beefy caliper to begin with and need that bite to start the slowing process since it's much more weight in motion. Even so, the vast majority of cars come with plain blank rotors. There's a reason for that. ;)

aneidiaztorres

It's not necessarily a "cheap rotor" and nor is it the driver and his or her habits....it's comes down to the process used to create the cross drilled rotors. OE drilled rotors are manufactured differently than most aftermarket drilled rotors. You won't run across BMW M5's with cracked rotors, but it's a lot more likely to happen with an aftermarket set thrown on a civic for bargain basement prices.

There's no point in drilled rotors on a civic anyway. If you need more bite, upgrade the caliper. Civics come with pathetic calipers (due to the small vehicle size and curb weight, which makes sense). Larger and heavier cars that come with drilled or slotted rotors from the factory usually have quite a beefy caliper to begin with and need that bite to start the slowing process since it's much more weight in motion. Even so, the vast majority of cars come with plain blank rotors. There's a reason for that. ;)
I agree on that!;)

RealRabbit

Registered VIP

I understand your point and your correct, but doesn't make other points wrong. It has very much to do with cheap rotors. Like I said I understand the smaller rotors etc and I agree very much. There just simply not enough there. Buying a quality rotor is still going to help. In fact I would find it more crucial. I still agree, stock brake setup with drilled rotors is pointless. If you're looking for serious braking drilled rotors is not the answer.