What have you done to your 5th Gen Civic Today?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
replaced the front hood badge on my car. took off several years ago when I was doing some bodywork, and lost the damned thing in my brother's garage. Grabbed one today as replacement since I was at a Pick N Pull anyway

JoEX

Pulled my valve cover to find this.. :(

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks like water contamination to me.

All I did today was put my freshly painted valve cover on.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ugh. power steering pump started getting noisy on Sunday. Today, noisy AND squeeling belt. Looks like it's time to replace. I guess 280k is a long time for a pump to operate

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Who needs power steering :P
apparently, not ME. Day after I posted prior message, squealing got worse, and kept trying to die when the rpms dropped suddenly (this happened while in store parking lot)
Luckily, I keep tools in the car, and just removed the PS belt. Gonna have arms like Dwayne Johnson if I have to keep driving without that pump.
Cost wise, not much difference between getting a replacement pump or just swapping in a manual rack. Only difference really is in the work involved.

Sleeper EG8

Android Powered!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is it hard to put in an manual rack? I don't even need power steering ..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've not looked at the FSM directions, but don't think it'd be TOO difficult. At it's most basic, you're disconnecting from the knuckles and the steering shaft/linkage. no need for the puump, lines, belt, reservoir. Actually, It's probably about the same effort as looping a power rack. Seems getting it adjusted to be perfectly centered would be the hardest part.

Normalbates

I just ordered some new 16in. konig incident rims. Also got some new head lights , tail lights and fog lights. Still thinking about getting a type-r style lip set to give my (ej1?) 95 civic ex coupe a more aggressive look.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
changed front brake pads today. been needing for the last couple of months, but had been holding out so I could replace with some rebuilt calipers at the same time. Well, couldn't wait anymore. Pads were worn almost to the backing plate. Sucks being broke

Sleeper EG8

Android Powered!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wasn't today but a few days ago I bought and installed a rear tow hook

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Great! now you can tow it out of snowbanks. I personally don't plan to get stuck in snowbanks or ditches, so haven't bothered to upgrade the stock unit. I kid, I kid. Seriously though, yours looks good

Normalbates

So i got to my mechanic on my lunch break because i have a leak coming from my distributor (getting this fixed 2morrow) and he tells me that all the mechanics that work there are marveling over my car (which has seen better days cosmetically mind you) because of how great it runs having 263k miles on it. They also consider it the prime vehicle to own and build on. This made my day

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that's pretty good. Mine has 282k right now, and time to change the timing belt (last changed at 190k)

Sleeper EG8

Android Powered!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Great! now you can tow it out of snowbanks. I personally don't plan to get stuck in snowbanks or ditches, so haven't bothered to upgrade the stock unit. I kid, I kid. Seriously though, yours looks good
Welllll in my area you never know :p but thanks haha.

bzzt

My daughter bought a 1995 civic with 368,000+ miles on it for $1,800 less than a week ago.
So far we've replaced...
Windshield, passenger front outside door handle, cat-back exhaust, trunk carpeting, and spare tire.