What other car did you consider when you bought your 6th gen?

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm curious to know: when you guys bought your 6th gen civic, what other cars were you considering at the time?

Believe it or not, I almost bought a Saturn SL2. What a piece of junk. I almost bought into all that Saturn hype back in the 90's. But luckily I took a 2nd test drive with my gf back then and that particular one rode and ran and revved like crap. So I went Civic. I'm so glad I did. A friend of mine got a Saturn a little before that. He takes care of his cars and doesn't race them. And his Saturn LEAKED OIL STARTING AT 80,000 MILES. The thing had crap resale value too.

You know, people said American cars were getting better back then too. BULLSH&^!!

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm, im trying to remember that far back...i bought my SI like 2 winters ago, and i remember there was something else i was looking at right before i bought it....

ohhhhh yeah, it was a stock 94 gsr, black, like 90k miles on it....but then she said "ive got an SI for sale too" and when i saw it, i was instantly in love (plus it had all the basic bolt ons, and CTR cams) so i bought that instead....$6000 seemed like a decent deal, so i went through with it, only had 35k miles

quicksilver1689

tuning owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was thinking about an a 93 inegra. Nothing special. I was also thinking about an IROC camaro. I was stupid then lol. But i got my civic free thanks too a sister. lol But IM happy i went honda. I HAte saturns no offense to anyone

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was also thinking of getting a black 2001 Celica GT-S 6-speed with black leather interior or a 1996 (i think that was the year...) white Prelude Si, also manual tranny. With my first Civic (1997 EX coupe) my mom tried to talk me into a Saturn because they're cheap. I told her that's exactly the reason I didn't want one. I had been interested in a later gen (current gen or generation before it) Mustang GT, still manal tranny and probably yellow.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My situation:

6th gen hatch - $800 plus my 91 dx hb
4th gen hatch - $800 plus my 91 dx hb - same owner as above

i chose the 6th cause i have a 4th (at the time) and all i would really be buying it the buddy club bodykit and the 5spd (not runnign) transmission

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i bought my 00 SI in 99, i was looking at the 00 GSR..i wanted so bad but i couldnt afford it..the price was only about $2k more but when i check how much insurance is going to be for the GSR..i changed my mind and bought the SI..the insurance for the gsr was over $100 more a month then the SI

macindude

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was looking at two different 1st gen Eagle talons, the first was a 94 that was totally toasted, this car was REALLY rough, non turbo SOHC 1.8L, but it was only $900 obo, and I was pretty sure I could get it for $700. Then I found a really nice Talon TSI, AWD Turbo 2.0L, all it seemed to need was a set of tires, and it was for sale for only $1500 I was very tempted, but I'd heard bad things about the cost of maintaining Mitsubishi's.

I REALLY wanted a 1st gen Miata, but i found on test driving one, that there was no way I could fit into one comfortably enough to even drive to the store, in fact, I could barely close the door after stuffing myself into the car (needless to say, I'm a pretty big guy).

I was also looking at lots of BMW's, I've owned a lot of BMW's (eleven in fact) and I was seriously looking at another e30 325, but this time I wanted an "i" and I wanted one from 89-91 (those are the years with the revised rear end and smaller bumpers). I also was looking at 5 series cars, mostly e28's but a few e34's. I've had some e28's and decided I wanted something newer, and the e34's with the engine/transmission combo (wanted anything but the 2.5L six, and I NEED a manual transmission) I wanted were a bit out of reach financially. I was looking at M3's, but I knew that I'd not be able to afford it anytime soon, so I would still need immediate basic transportation... I'm still planning to get an e36 M3 if I can get another job soon and hold onto it for a while.

But I found the civic, and i thought that in the long run i'd probably have more fun working on the civic because the upgrade parts are so cheap.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well I got a 7th gen.. but I feel left out.. so i'ma join in. Hope ya don't mind. If ya do... too bad cuz by the time you read this.. I will have already joined in... so yea.

I was debating a couple of cars exactly... I was either gonna go..

New Eclipse
New Celica
New Tiburon
New Civic

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
well I got a 7th gen.. but I feel left out.. so i'ma join in. Hope ya don't mind. If ya do... too bad cuz by the time you read this.. I will have already joined in... so yea.

I was debating a couple of cars exactly... I was either gonna go..

New Eclipse
New Celica
New Tiburon
New Civic
I've driven all those cars except for the new Civic (driven several new Sis, but no coupse or sedans). I wouldn't ever buy the new Eclipse. The Tiburon was a great car though. Of course the Celica beat them both. It only beat the Tiburon on looks (I just love that sharp wedge shape) and the fact that I trust Toyota more than Hyundai.

sccardslax05

vida guerra lookin fine!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bought an integra gsr a couple months before i got my civic but it was unsafe to drive so i resold it and bought my civic like a week afterwards.

sccardslax05

vida guerra lookin fine!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
macindude said:
I was looking at two different 1st gen Eagle talons, the first was a 94 that was totally toasted, this car was REALLY rough, non turbo SOHC 1.8L, but it was only $900 obo, and I was pretty sure I could get it for $700. Then I found a really nice Talon TSI, AWD Turbo 2.0L, all it seemed to need was a set of tires, and it was for sale for only $1500 I was very tempted, but I'd heard bad things about the cost of maintaining Mitsubishi's.

I REALLY wanted a 1st gen Miata, but i found on test driving one, that there was no way I could fit into one comfortably enough to even drive to the store, in fact, I could barely close the door after stuffing myself into the car (needless to say, I'm a pretty big guy).

I was also looking at lots of BMW's, I've owned a lot of BMW's (eleven in fact) and I was seriously looking at another e30 325, but this time I wanted an "i" and I wanted one from 89-91 (those are the years with the revised rear end and smaller bumpers). I also was looking at 5 series cars, mostly e28's but a few e34's. I've had some e28's and decided I wanted something newer, and the e34's with the engine/transmission combo (wanted anything but the 2.5L six, and I NEED a manual transmission) I wanted were a bit out of reach financially. I was looking at M3's, but I knew that I'd not be able to afford it anytime soon, so I would still need immediate basic transportation... I'm still planning to get an e36 M3 if I can get another job soon and hold onto it for a while.

But I found the civic, and i thought that in the long run i'd probably have more fun working on the civic because the upgrade parts are so cheap.
u have owned 11 bmw's and youre only 21. jesus!!!!!!!!!

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my parents bough the car so i didnt really have much say (thats y i drive auto :oops:, i got owned) but they were lookin at a 98 integra, a 96 4 door civic, a 95 mustang and the car i have now

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eh, I looked at an SL2 as well. The used car dealer said that Saturns are just like Hondas. I guess he said that b/c I told him I was looking for a Honda. ( I went to the local Ford dealer ). I also contemplated getting another Chevy Cavalier since my 93 was pretty good til the end.

Glad I found my Ex coupe :thumbs up:

I think I'll always stay with Hondas/Acuras

macindude

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sccardslax05 said:
u have owned 11 bmw's and youre only 21. jesus!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I love BMW, my favorite, anyone who knows me knows that's the way to my heart! =)

My BMW's in order of my acquisition:

1982 320i Silver (my first car)
1985 535i Black
1975 2002 Sahara Beige
1983 528e Burgundy Metallic
1972 2002tii Taiga Green
1978 320i Madiera
1983 533i Burgundy Metallic (parts car)
1980 323i Baur (very rare, grey market car) Arktis Blue
1972 2002tii Silver (with anthracite repaint :( )
1979 320i Hellrot (red)
1985 325e Arktis Blue

Nick Feigen BMW CCA Member #189762

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i was looking into an mx-6, a 626, a prelude (there was a typo on the price, it said 9k instead of 19k), civic hatch, vw golf gti, and a nissan nx

civic!

my daughter is the s**t.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
I'm curious to know: when you guys bought your 6th gen civic, what other cars were you considering at the time?

Believe it or not, I almost bought a Saturn SL2. What a piece of junk. I almost bought into all that Saturn hype back in the 90's. But luckily I took a 2nd test drive with my gf back then and that particular one rode and ran and revved like crap. So I went Civic. I'm so glad I did. A friend of mine got a Saturn a little before that. He takes care of his cars and doesn't race them. And his Saturn LEAKED OIL STARTING AT 80,000 MILES. The thing had crap resale value too.

You know, people said American cars were getting better back then too. BULLSH&^!!

WHO said amerrican cars were getting better?... i think they were just pulling you leg man. :D

civic!

my daughter is the s**t.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was over at a mazda dealer looking at a 626 or millenia but i just loved the way the 00 coupe looks.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i almost bought an s10 when i was car shopping, glad i didn't!