Which Civic Would You Choose? ...

abigail9

Hello ...

I have a 2000 Honda Civic coupe -- automatic, non-power windows, non-power door locks. It has about 136,000 miles.

The body has some minor damage on the driver's side. The interior is not great cosmetically -- I mean, it's not a disaster, but it could definitely use a cleaning/detailing.

I have been very careful about maintenance. I had the car checked over yesterday and the mechanic told me it was in very good condition and he couldn't find anything that needed repair.

My mother has a 1999 Honda Civic four-door sedan -- automatic, power windows, power door locks. Although it is a year older than my Civic, it only has about 85,000 miles -- a little over 50,000 fewer miles than my car.

Her interior is in much more pristine condition than mine.

I had my mechanic check her car over. It needs to have the brake fluid flushed and it needs a muffler, but otherwise, he said it, too, is in very good condition.

My mother is no longer driving. I need to decide if I should keep my Civic or take hers instead.

Since they are both in good shape under the hood, should a deciding factor be that hers has about 50,000 fewer miles? Is that considered a significant difference?

Whichever car I keep, I intend to be driving it for some time, as I have no plans at this point to be purchasing a new car.

Many thanks for any advice.

abigail9

Thank you for that suggestion. =)

I can't keep both of them, though. I can't pay to insure both of them, I don't have a driveway or garage, and I really don't need two cars.

I need to choose. But which one?

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
less miles with more features and minimal repairs... speaks for itself imo.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using TappaFresh.

abigail9

Thank you so much for these replies! I really appreciate them -- and your opinions. It is so helpful to know your thoughts/recommendations/advice.

Based on what you've said, it does sound like it would make more sense to keep the 1999.

Thanks again. I'm open to any and all comments/advice!

abigail9

And Ron J -- yes, I would take your advice very seriously (as I have the other replies here) and be very interested in any thoughts you have. Thanks!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, the '99 sounds like a better option to me as well. A clean low mile 6th gen is hard to come by!

abigail9

Thanks, XpL0d3r , I appreciate knowing that you agree with 200STM, Bhikku, and xHanzJay.

It's great to have these opinions from people who know cars -- and know more about this sort of decision than I do.

Wreckless Hype, thank you for that suggestion. I would like to keep one of the cars rather than sell them both and purchase a new car at this point.. Since both cars are fine for my needs, I don't really need a newer/different car. And I think that even if I sold both cars, I'd still need to put more money in if I were to purchase a newer car. Also, I like both of the cars that I have as options. It's just a matter of deciding which one makes the more sense to keep.

I really appreciate (a lot) this discussion and all your comments. It's very helpful!

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Thanks, XpL0d3r , I appreciate knowing that you agree with 200STM, Bhikku, and xHanzJay.

It's great to have these opinions from people who know cars -- and know more about this sort of decision than I do.

Wreckless Hype, thank you for that suggestion. I would like to keep one of the cars rather than sell them both and purchase a new car at this point.. Since both cars are fine for my needs, I don't really need a newer/different car. And I think that even if I sold both cars, I'd still need to put more money in if I were to purchase a newer car. Also, I like both of the cars that I have as options. It's just a matter of deciding which one makes the more sense to keep.

I really appreciate (a lot) this discussion and all your comments. It's very helpful!
having no car payments is the driving factor in why i'm not driving a NSX or something, lol. not paying down that loan is a great feeling!