Wireless Internet help.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I know there's a few tech junkie members on the site, so I thought I'd see if anyone could offer any insight to my problem.

I think it's my router. My Xbox keeps losing connection at random times, but all that has to be done is unplug the router for thirty seconds and plug it back in. Fixes it every time, sometimes it stays working for the rest of the day, sometimes for only five minutes. I'm looking into buying a better router anyways, because the current router at my fiancés house is a little outdated, and I need something better that I can rely on.

Any advice? Anyone recognize these symptoms?

Appreciate it :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be the router overheating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Had the same thing happening with my PS3 when I was with Qwest for my internet. Changed routers and problem fixed. Still on the same router with a different service 2 years later.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Sounds like the router is on its way out. What router you using?

While your waiting to glbuy a new router you should set up a static IP for your Xbox. This will prevent any other device from stealing your IP for your Xbox. ( not saying this is your problem but sometimes when you connect multiable devices 2 devices will ask for the same IP address thus kicking one of them off)

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like the router is on its way out. What router you using?

While your waiting to glbuy a new router you should set up a static IP for your Xbox. This will prevent any other device from stealing your IP for your Xbox. ( not saying this is your problem but sometimes when you connect multiable devices 2 devices will ask for the same IP address thus kicking one of them off)

Not true. If the Xbox asks for a DHCP address that is already taken the router will hand out another address. If there are no more addresses available the second device will simply not connect. It may get a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address though, but it won't kick the other device off. BUT, setting the Xbox up for a Static IP will eliminate any DHCP issue altogether, so it's a good idea to try.

I would also try updating the firmware of the router if possible. What make / model is the router?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys! I definitely plan on buying another router anyways for better performance but I will report back with the router make and model when I get a chance, because I do want to fix this problem for the time being until I can get a new router.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Thanks for the advice guys! I definitely plan on buying another router anyways for better performance but I will report back with the router make and model when I get a chance, because I do want to fix this problem for the time being until I can get a new router.
If your big into gaming I suggest looking for a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt. Dd-wrt gives you more options when setting up a network.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your big into gaming I suggest looking for a router that can be flashed with dd-wrt. Dd-wrt gives you more options when setting up a network.

Good lookin' out. I'll definitely look into that :D

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Good lookin' out. I'll definitely look into that :D
I use a static IP for my ps3. I then forward all ports needed. Set Up QoS. My ps3 pulls more bandwidth then my kids ps3, Wii, PC, tablet, 2 phones, NM a blue ray player. I can play my ps3 n the kids can play there's n she can watch n HD movie on Netflix while both r phones n tablet are syncing and I get no lag. Dd-wrt helped with setting everything up.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got a netgear n900 wireless dual band gigabit router today.

So far so good. The model number is WNDR4500.

Apparently it has a 5ghz range as well as a 2.4ghz range. But it's simultaneous. On my laptop I have two available SSID's. I named my network through my Netgear genie network management app. And now I have two available networks on my laptop. "Smith" which is what I named my network, and Netgear47-5G. I can choose the 5g on my laptop, but on my Xbox I only have the option of smith.

Any ideas? Since its simultaneous does that mean that "smith" is the network and the devices will choose their own range?

I downloaded something called inSSIDer and it shows this.

My network "smith" being displayed under the 2.4ghz channels, and then under 5ghz there is this, the netgear47-5g, which my laptop is connected to.

Maybe Xbox 360's just don't have 5ghz support?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Xbox only supports 2.4 GHz I believe. Set your router to auto and it should automatically choose the band type for the connection.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Xbox only supports 2.4 GHz I believe. Set your router to auto and it should automatically choose the band type for the connection.

Yeah upon further research I found out that Xbox does in fact only support 2.4ghz with its built in wifi. Already ordered an Ethernet cable to run to my router from the Xbox. My route has a "gigabit" hardware connection? Something like that. All I know is... Cord = faster than wireless in this case. So yeah, ordered the cord. My laptop is connected to the 5ghz and download speeds are way up!

And I'm happy. =)

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I run wireless and I get crappy speeds, but that's because I have reconfigure my router.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I run a Linksys wrt310n wireless n gigabit router. The thing used to overheat like a fool and cause connection issues, and it actually stopped working for awhile. One day I plugged it in and it started working again lol.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Yea that's a shitty router. Your new is a great router. I need myself a new one. I switched isps from DSL to cable. My cable provider didn't provide a router like my DSL provider did. Luckily I was able to turn one of my Ethernet ports from LAN to wan. That's what im running ATM. Its not ideal but it gets the job done

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The old router here was a linksys.. Lol