Wont boost over 10psi

o 16K o

Ok I've had my turbo setup for around a year now all was running well... Well about a month ago my car started having a problem. The cars runs really good out of boost and even in boost up to 10 psi.. I have the wastegate set to 18psi.. Engine boosts hard in 1st and 2nd but then 3rd, 4th, and 5th hit a brick wall after 10psi... It like backfires really bad and loses power...

I'm sure 1st and 2nd run good cause it doesn't boost higher than 10psi (holset hx35).. I thought maybe it was spark blow out so I got new plugs and gapped them .25 to be sure.. Runs better now but still has the issue. No CEL.. I did get a new auto zone distributor recently.. I've already exchanged it twice cause I'm thinking it might be the cheap distributor??

I'm stumped I don't wanna start pouring money into it if its something simple..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Could the head be lifting under boost? I suppose you could check the wastegate spring too. I'm wondering if it's opening early for whatever reason and confusing the hell out of the ECU.

o 16K o

Possibly but doubtful. ARP headstuds and hks bead head gasket.

Might be overboosting... Its on a stock map sensor but I tuned it to run rich in the last column.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It almost sounds like a fuel delivery/map issue to me. It's falling flat under load, so I would be looking at your fuel pump, injectors, and ECU mapping first and foremost. Ensure your WG spring isn't getting stuck somewhere under load or something.

o 16K o

Its just weird it would run fine for almost 2 years and now I'm having this problem.. Seems like it might be a timing issue with the way it backfires..

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
You do have a 3bar map sensor correct?

Have you checked the gauge and made sure it is accurate?

What size wastegate/type

o 16K o

Stock map sensor but I tuned it rich in the last column..

Haven't check boost gauge but seems to be accurate..

Its a godspeed 38mm wastegate

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Stock map sensor but I tuned it rich in the last column..

Haven't check boost gauge but seems to be accurate..

Its a godspeed 38mm wastegate
Well, any one of these could easily be the culprit.

Do you have boost cut set or a a/f mixture safety cut?

I would get a 3bar and test that gauge asap.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like it is hitting boost cut. First thing I would change would be the map sensor. Upgrade to a 3bar, then go from there.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like it is hitting boost cut. First thing I would change would be the map sensor. Upgrade to a 3bar, then go from there.
Yep. Map sensor needs to be replaced for sure, which I would then re-tune for (that way you don't have to compensate by running rich). Next, may want to look into a more reliable Wasetgate. The Godspeeds aren't horrible, but drop some cash on a Turbonetics or TiAL. It's well worth the investment.

Radyjr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stock Honda Map Sensors if am not mistaken only good for some where around 11.2 pis. (also depends on altitude)

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Map sensor is causing your problems along with the fact that you have an eBay turbo set up.

James315

What size injectors? I would be willing to say its a combination of running out of fuel and the map sensor.